AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Drake - Thank Me Later Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 8
Production 9.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Drake - Thank Me Later

Reviewed by: HometownHero (06/29/10)
Drake - Thank Me Later
Record Label: Universal Motown/Young Money/Cash Money
Release Date: June 15th, 2010

This is completely personal.

Coming off of his successful, critically acclaimed mixtape, So Far Gone, features on tracks by big name artists such as Jay-Z, Mary J Blige and Birdman, supported by legends and soon to be legends, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Nas and more, and with the induction into a “family” with those affiliated with Young Money, Drake has plenty to prove to the masses.

But with all the hype that Drake has become accustomed to, comes hate. People claim his success has come far to easily. There are those who judge him based on his past career path choices. And there are those that claim that because of the usage of auto-tune, Drake cannot be considered a talented, legit artist. No matter the talking and nit-picking, Thank Me Later, Drakes debut album, proves that he is a new voice for hip-hop, that he is for real, and that he is here to stay.

Thank Me Later opens strong with the Alicia Keys assisted track, "Fireworks", where Drake exclaims, “My fifteen minutes just started an hour ago,” showing that despite those who doubted him, he is still here in the music business for the right reasons and shows no intent on slowing up. The song proves why we fell in love with him in the first place by his crooning of the hook, the nice lullaby from Ms. Keys, and rapping on a personal level. He opens up about his short-lived relationship with Rihanna, about being a victim of a broken family, and how “money just changed everything”.

The album moves along fluidly with a steady dose of R&B and a hearty helping of pure hip-hop. "The Resistance" begins with a slow, quiet, almost half asleep (or stoned) line (“Yesterday when we were getting high…”) that segues nicely into rapping over a quiet, relaxing beat. The song is no one to put you to sleep however. You want to listen and keeping going, and it is just enough to get your head to shake, your hand to tap along, or even in my case, rap along to the words.

The crossover hit, "Over", hits you next, and it was a obvious single choice. “There’s way to many people here right now, that I didn’t know last year, who the fuck are ya’ll?” Drake asks, taking a shot at band wagon jumpers that are only now paying attention after the fact. The track moves quick and touches on the recurring theme about how money and fame have changed everything about his life, and brought on fair-weather “friends” and phonies looking for a favor.

Like every album, this one has a few duds. "Fancy" is nearly unbearable, and the guest spots do nothing to save the song. The beat is obnoxious and lyrically falls completely flat. "Shut It Down" is a nearly all R&B jam, and does nothing but bore the listener to death. Drake’s singing comes across as lazy and The Dream’s guest spot is even worse, providing nothing but cheesy verses. "Find Your Love" is the track that you hate one day and love the next. The beat, produced by Kanye West, is hot, almost an 808s and Heartbreak, B-side. But the singing and hook is repetitive and again, a lyrical mess.

The weak are overshadowed by the strong on this record: Hova lending his “fatherly” advice about how the hip-hop game works on Light Up trumps Nikki Minaj and Drizzy pledging allegiance to their Young Money team on "Up All Night", which is just obnoxious and pointless. The album ends with Drake demanding the respect that he has rightfully earned in "Thank Me Now".

Hate all you want but Jimm…er… I mean Drake is here to stay. If Thank Me Later is any indication of what is to come, then Drake is going to have a hell of a career in this business.
Recommended If You LikeSo Far Gone, 808's & Heartbreak, "emo" rap, Degrassi, emotional and personal lyrics.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45.
02:15 AM on 07/02/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
This is a good review of a good album that I need to get soon.
05:11 AM on 07/02/10
cwhit412
User Info.
BIAS REVIEW.
Jk.
Looking forward to your The Maine review.
08:30 AM on 07/02/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Pretty good review, love this record. Only thing about the review I disagree with is your opinion"Shut It Down;" it's one of my favorite tracks. But at that, it is your opinion and your review, and a solid review at that.
08:42 AM on 07/02/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Whoa.

Someone should make a good negative review of Thank Me Later (not bash it though). That would be awesome as well.

Also, you explained perfectly how I feel for Find Your Love. Good job.
10:04 AM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Pretty good review, love this record. Only thing about the review I disagree with is your opinion"Shut It Down;" it's one of my favorite tracks. But at that, it is your opinion and your review, and a solid review at that.
I just found that song so lame haha but each to their own. Thanks for the kind words.
10:04 AM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Whoa.

Someone should make a good negative review of Thank Me Later (not bash it though). That would be awesome as well.

Also, you explained perfectly how I feel for Find Your Love. Good job.
I hope someone somewhere writes a differing opinion on it at some point haha.
10:23 AM on 07/02/10
andrew182
User Info.
Eh I wasn't very impressed. I think he's turning into chris browns style.
10:27 AM on 07/02/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
I just found that song so lame haha but each to their own. Thanks for the kind words.
The song I can't stand is "Show Me A Good Time" due to the absolutely obnoxious beat thing or whatever you call it hahah.
10:30 AM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.
The song I can't stand is "Show Me A Good Time" due to the absolutely obnoxious beat thing or whatever you call it hahah.
Awww really? Yeah that part of the beat is a little annoying but I think he is at his wittiest with the lyrics, and basically saying eat a dick to all the haters. And I like the keys in it too.
10:31 AM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Eh I wasn't very impressed. I think he's turning into chris browns style.
12:11 PM on 07/02/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
i'm on the fence with drake, i'm more of a kanye, lupe, and cudi fan myself, and drake doesn't really fit into that group. actually i think that completely supports what you said about him being a new voice for hip hop. when i hear drake i don't think of any other rappers, cuz he's just simply different. i wonder how many imitators we'll see...
12:44 PM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.
i'm on the fence with drake, i'm more of a kanye, lupe, and cudi fan myself, and drake doesn't really fit into that group. actually i think that completely supports what you said about him being a new voice for hip hop. when i hear drake i don't think of any other rappers, cuz he's just simply different. i wonder how many imitators we'll see...
Kanye is and forever will be my favorite shit. Maybe that's why I love the beats he produced on this record. Disagree on Cudi as i dislike him a lot but I like what you say about not thinking about other rappers when you listen to him. That is cool and I agree.
12:52 PM on 07/02/10
firecrackaaa!
we're taking on the world together.
User Info.
Awesome review, bud :)
01:03 PM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.

Me and you:
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music