AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sky Eats Airplane - The Sound of Symmetry Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.69
Musicianship 4.38
Lyrics 3.94
Production 4.31
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 3.5
Reviewer Tilt 3.25
Average: 39%
Inside AP.net

Sky Eats Airplane - The Sound of Symmetry

Reviewed by: eatbabiesyum (07/03/10)
Sky Eats Ariplane - The Sound of Symmetry
Record Label: Equal Vision
Release Date: April 13, 2010

Who?

Possibly the only band to combine metalcore with electronica and receive any sort of respect this side of the Atlantic (the other being Enter Shikari in the UK). After losing three members, Sky Eats Airplane returns with a new lineup, and yet another style change.

How is it?

Their last release was their self-titled second album, and while it was in no way bad, it wasnít as creative as their debut. This three-song EP doesnít return to their nintendocore roots, but it does incorporate mathcore and more electronica than their last release. It is also their most cohesive release yet, and avoids past pitfalls (the first albumís lack of continuity, and the secondís monotony).

New vocalist Bryan Zimmerman only sounds mildly different than the bands past two vocalists, but improves the bandís song writing with better lyrics and more variety vocally. The band reflects these qualities as this is the best musicianship the band has seen yet. The electronic programming intertwines with the instrumentation perfectly, and never feels tacked on or unnecessary.

After risking getting lost in a genre they once stood out in, Sky Eats Airplane reaffirmed their position, and with only three songs. Weíll have to wait until later this year to see if they can top their debut with another full-length, but itís safe to say they already have with this EP.

Recommended If You LikeWe Came As Romans, Enter Shikari, Attack Attack!

http://www.myspace.com/skyeatsairplane

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45.
08:19 AM on 07/08/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I just got this on Monday, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. None of the songs seem to stick with me as much as songs of the full length like Numbers. It was not bad, but I need a full length to determine if these guys are still anything special
08:14 PM on 07/08/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
I just got this on Monday, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. None of the songs seem to stick with me as much as songs of the full length like Numbers. It was not bad, but I need a full length to determine if these guys are still anything special

yeah it's definatly a style change, and i still often go back and listen to their older stuff. i guess we'll have to wait for their next full length later this year to really compare the new SEA to the last lineup
10:29 PM on 07/08/10
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
I love this CD, Bryan Zimmerman is a great fit for SEA.
10:37 PM on 07/08/10
weaz45
stopthefuckincar.
User Info.
please do not compare this band to AttackAttack!
11:09 PM on 07/08/10
chrossiepher
User Info.
it sounds like they just got more generic. with their self titled, they lost some of the "nintendocore" that they had with brack, but now it seems like they lost it all. they still have some siqq riffs though
11:32 PM on 07/08/10
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
Mildly Different? Are you high? He's miles ahead of their past vocalists.
11:35 PM on 07/08/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
please do not compare this band to AttackAttack!

haha i was waiting for someone to say this, i only put that there cuz, if you like attack attack!, you sure as hell better love sky eats airplane. reverse that theory...not so much
11:36 PM on 07/08/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
Mildly Different? Are you high? He's miles ahead of their past vocalists.

i meant style wise, and in studio recordings he sounds just a little better in my opinion, but live, MUCH better.
11:36 PM on 07/08/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
I love this CD, Bryan Zimmerman is a great fit for SEA.

yeah im excited for their next release :)
11:37 PM on 07/08/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
it sounds like they just got more generic. with their self titled, they lost some of the "nintendocore" that they had with brack, but now it seems like they lost it all. they still have some siqq riffs though

i do wish they'd bring back the nintendocore :/
12:08 AM on 07/09/10
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
i meant style wise, and in studio recordings he sounds just a little better in my opinion, but live, MUCH better.
All around, I think he runs circles around their past vocalists. Jerry was awful live, still is.
12:13 AM on 07/09/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
All around, I think he runs circles around their past vocalists. Jerry was awful live, still is.

yeah i definityl think he's a improvement, lyrically also
12:14 AM on 07/09/10
mattattack!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really enjoyed this EP. I could never really get into any of their older stuff, but the new vocalist really fits the new sound they're going for. Also, their drummer is RIDICULOUS! I watched a few of his videos and he is by far one of, if not the, most talented drummers I've seen. If you haven't seen any of the videos, I highly recommend looking him up. His name is Travis Orbin and his youtube account is http://www.youtube.com/user/shaftninja
12:19 AM on 07/09/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
I really enjoyed this EP. I could never really get into any of their older stuff, but the new vocalist really fits the new sound they're going for. Also, their drummer is RIDICULOUS! I watched a few of his videos and he is by far one of, if not the, most talented drummers I've seen. If you haven't seen any of the videos, I highly recommend looking him up. His name is Travis Orbin and his youtube account is http://www.youtube.com/user/shaftninja

i actually have seen his videos, and they really are fantastic. i like his drumming and varitety :D
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums