Password

Album Review

Via Coma - Bridges Album Cover

Via Coma - Bridges

Reviewed by
Via ComaBridges
Record Label – Unsigned
Release Date – June 30, 2009
Writing music reviews requires the stretching of adjectives to somehow turn music into words. It’s an entirely inane process when trying to describe Via Coma’s EP, Bridges. How can I encapsulate, in words, the 20 minute EP without sounding pretentious and/or like I don’t know what I’m talking about? I have to use words like pastoral and orchestral and I have to make them mean something, yet they still fall flat. Trying to give voice to an EP so full of its own voice is just facetious. In fact I would like nothing more than for my readers to stop reading now and just go listen to the band. But for those who insist on letting words affect their decision to listen to Via Coma I will do my absolute best to do the band justice.

Via Coma is a five piece band hailing from Lafayette, California. Their first EP, entitled Bridges, is 20 minutes of progressive indie rock. First track “Turn” opens with singer and guitar player Rob Marshall’s resplendent vocals backed by a simple drum beat from Maxx Sherman and the cooing of pianist Jesse Kyle. When Marshall sings “Dawn, blushing rosy dawn,” it invokes nostalgia for experiences I’m not even sure I’ve had. The track oscillates from quick to slow and loud to quiet. Marshall’s voice reaches perfect falsettos only to drop back to the lower registers of his voice. Somehow the track teeters between a desperate urgency and a lush calmness but never loses focus. Second track, “Aquanota” has Marshall doing his best Casey Crescenzo impression and just as the track crescendos it leads into third track, “I, the Sovereign” which opens with a focus on Sherman’s drumming and Marshall’s voice starts subdued only to soar once the rest of the band picks up. Closer, “Architects” ends the album far too soon. The guitar work is intricate, Kyle provides the perfect, high-pitched backing vocals for Marshall and the track, again, showcases Via Coma’s instrumental proficiency and knack for melody. As the final piano keys round out the track I only wish there was more.

Every track on Bridges is laced with stunning melody and it becomes increasingly difficult to convey the beauty of each track as Via Coma have created a sound akin to a musical. It’s easy to forget that there is no accompanying string section as you are swept up by the orchestration. Marshall and Nic Gracia’s guitars are expansive, Cam Attaran’s bass is technical and complex (see the beginning of “I, the Sovereign), Kyle’s piano is gorgeous throughout, and Sherman’s drumming is holds it all together. Marshall’s lyrics are complex and intriguing, remaining beautifully vague but not unintelligible. His voice, like previously stated, is at times reminiscent of Casey from The Dear Hunter and Thomas Dutton from Forgive Durden. When Kyle’s voice is added to the mix the dynamic is astounding as they usually play falsetto against lower vocals.

It is almost impossible to not speak ostentatiously about Via Coma. There is no way a review can do them justice. No words can encapsulate the beauty in their 20 minute debut. I expect very bright things from this band in the future. They don’t concern themselves with formulas or trends, instead they have crafted one of the most breath-taking debuts from any band in recent memory and it is absolutely astonishing that they are unsigned. They are giving away their EP for free on their website and you would be remiss to not download it.

Recommended If You LikeThe Dear Hunter; Forgive Durden - Razia's Shadown; rodomontading
This review is a user submitted review from Loveisa4lttrwrd. You can see all of Loveisa4lttrwrd's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
05:18 PM on 07/16/10
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
People really need to listen to this EP.
05:37 PM on 07/16/10
KittyCalonje
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band is honestly one of the best bands of California, if not the US. They are not only amazing on the EP, but when they preform live, you get shivers. Hearing their songs live is life-changing. Everything about this band is immaculate. From the harmonies to the intricate yet simple instrumentals, this band is perfect. Definitely worth listening to or seeing live.
05:54 PM on 07/16/10
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
this band is honestly one of the best bands of California, if not the US. They are not only amazing on the EP, but when they preform live, you get shivers. Hearing their songs live is life-changing. Everything about this band is immaculate. From the harmonies to the intricate yet simple instrumentals, this band is perfect. Definitely worth listening to or seeing live.
I could not agree more. I want so terribly to see them live. The opening lyrics of "Turn" make me shiver every time. People need to listen to them and support them.
07:11 PM on 07/16/10
reav
honestly, it was nothing.
User Info.
these guys deserve all the love in the world <3
11:38 PM on 07/16/10
chartyparty
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome record, wonderful band. Do yourself a favor and listen to them!
12:58 PM on 07/18/10
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Rob is a sexy beast with sugar on top.
07:23 PM on 07/19/10
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
I'm working on an interview with them so yay!
10:55 AM on 07/21/10
jonlarsen002
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I heard these guys for the first time from a distance at a little carnival. They played at this tiny little stage. I was drawn in by their sound and had to listen. Their final song "Turn" blew me away. Looking forward to a full LP from these guys!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos