|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
Astounding, The - 07.06.10
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
www.theastounding.com (click through to download our free debut ep; just released 6/29!)
1. How did you get your band name?
When the band was started Sal and Areeb spent hours on the phone discussing potential band names with no luck. At the time Areeb was reading Sphere by Michael Crichton and the cover said "The Astounding NY Times Bestseller"; "The Astounding" was born.
2. How did this band get started?
Initially the band started with just Sal and Areeb, but didn't really come to fruition until John and Walter were added to the line up. Steve joined last and truly made the band musically and vocally complete.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Musically we draw heavily from American Football, Moneen, Dear and the Headlights, Weatherbox and Minus the Bear. Vocally and lyrically we draw from Manchester Orchestra, Brand New and Saves the Day.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
We would probably want to tour with a classic like Elvis or The Beetles. Elvis had those gyrating hips. The Beetles have the coolest catalogue on Earth, and they would probably never play the same set twice.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
It would be a kitten because our band mascot Cassius seems to have it all figured out. Plus girls love kittens and they would rub our bellies.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we have stories to tell, and we tell them in the best way we know how.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Willows" would probably be the most fun to play since it has some pretty varied parts. Good luck keeping up with the drum roll before the last chorus! ***** on expert would be attainable with practice and heavy wrist workouts.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
The deities, our families, friends and fans & Cassius!
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Nothing, the ignorance of the mainstream music industry makes venues like ap.net and the culture of the independent music scene so special and amazing. It shows that strong-willed people can create anything and garner a huge following.
10. Memorable tour experience?
The greatest ice-block in the history of the world; Bruce Willis style - http://bit.ly/icestounding
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
To four of us AP.net means absolutepunk.net, a great place for music news & discovery - but to one of us (Steve) it means AbolishPandas.net; don't ask.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Overall, it has to be one of our new songs with the working title, "Big Country". From our recently released EP (download @http://www.theastounding.com), "American Splendor" takes the title, it hits HARD.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
The "Ast Haus," our practice space in the Bronx, NY; come visit!
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
We all listened to really varied stuff as kids; but probably Boyz II Men, Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" or the Fresh Prince theme song.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
We would teleport or fly, it would make touring a cinch.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not until Jason Tate says we have!
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We all have iPhones right now and can competitively beat any other team in Angry Birds.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving... for the food. "Turducken" is the one requirement on our tour rider.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Have watermelon fights, eat pizza, drink out of cups.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
We all have pretty awesome chops at cooking, wiffleballing, graphic design, making up fake Italian words like "fubati" (Italian translation of smegma), and pushing our stomachs out so that we look pregnant.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first.
More From This Author
Buy the Music