Password

Album Review

The Narrative - The Narrative Album Cover

The Narrative - The Narrative

Reviewed by
The Narrative - The Narrative
Release Date: July 27, 2010
Record Label: Unsigned
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Sometimes, when I'm watching a movie, I'll know it's a good movie while I'm still watching it. I'll get a feeling sometime during the middle, where I'll think to myself, "Man, I really want this movie to go on for a lot longer. It's going to be disappointing when it ends." I've only ever really gotten that feeling a few times, but every time it's been during a movie that I consider one of my favorites of all time. I didn't get that feeling during Inception at all; the movie was simply so fantastic that it went by in two seconds and at the end, after watching that masterpiece, I had no words to describe it. At the end, my heart was racing and my extremities had fallen asleep - I was literally drained from it.

Now, I've never quite gotten that feeling while listening to music through my headphones or even through my fancy new stereo system, but I recently came close to it. A couple weeks ago when I first spun The Narrative's self-titled, full-length debut, I listened to the entire 53 minute pop rock opus without actually realizing how good it was. At the end, during the closing song, I sort of woke up and came to terms with what I had just heard, and many listens later I would like to contend that The Narrative have made the best record of its kind in 2010.

Dual vocalists Suzie Zeldin and Jesse Gabriel combine to make harmonies that give the New York three-piece instant accessibility. Fans of the group's 2008 EP, Just Say Yes, will be pleased to hear the maturity that The Narrative have gone through en route to producing the best male/female dual vocalist performance of the last few years. It's a sound that can be hard to get into right away, but The Narrative waste no time in lighting the torch with opener "Fade". Zeldin's voice is uncontrollably sweet in this track, and (thankfully) will draw no comparisons to Hayley Williams at all. The chorus shows that this band can definitely let loose and rock out, as they do at many points in this record.

The Narrative's depth is observed on "Cherry Red", as Gabriel makes this tracks his own and the group shows that no matter who takes the lead on a particular track, they can keep their instrumentation consistent and their style harmonious. "Empty Space" and "Winter's Coming" provide the highlight of the record in the form of an feverishly infectious one-two knockout. The chorus of "Empty Space" is phenomenal and leaves listeners wanting more even though they've already received plenty. The hook in "Winter's Coming" never gets old, as fans will take delight in singing "I am the sinner with a crooked smile / And you took to the rhythm of a no-good liar" back to Gabriel and Zeldin at live shows.

"Don't Want to Fall" is the first place where The Narrative take a step back and slow things down. This track, a piano-led ballad where Zeldin sends shivers down spines with her vocals, proves this band's ability to write more than just a catchy pop rock song. If the listener hadn't already figured that this record was a diamond in the rough sea of mediocre pop rock, this song should get the idea through. The Narrative, in their first full length, already present more of a variety than bands that have been together ten times as long as they.

While The Narrative aren't making strides here by trying out a completely original sound, they seem to be doing it better than most right now. "Starving for Attention" has a catchy guitar line before being accompanied by a playful doodle on the synthesizer; a format that has been done thousands of times before is approached with a breath of fresh air by this band. "End All" is another slower track, this time tackled by Zeldin and Gabriel together, and this song is one where their chemistry really shines.

The explosive "Hard to Keep Your Cool" leads into album closer "Turncoat", perhaps the strongest single track on The Narrative. The honest lyrics pace the track at first, but the indie pop instrumentation is soothing all the while. After a lengthy and enjoyable build up, The Narrative pull out all the stops with one minute remaining the in the record by turning out the most rocking excerpt they have written. The widespread talent shown in this song and on this record as a whole may be enough to make less competent bands throw in the towel from the beginning.

It's not very often that so many members on this website get behind a band, but The Narrative are a group which should inspire a movement of sorts. They're making breathtaking pop rock music in a time where most of the genre is absolutely worthless, and they should be recognized for it. If more records like The Narrative were written, I would most certainly have a different approach towards the genre. But I suppose the problem is that there aren't many bands as creative or talented as this one. The Narrative have without a doubt released the record of the year so far in this genre, and will surely be able to find fans wherever they find listeners.

Recommended If You LikeDeath Cab for Cutie if they had a female vocalist and instrumentals that were more fun to listen to
Bare Essentials1. Fade
2. Cherry Red
3. Silence and Sirens
4. Empty Space
5. Winter's Coming
6. You Will Be Mine
7. Don't Want to Fall
8. Trains
9. Starving for Attention
10. I've Been Thinking
11. End All
12. Hard to Keep Your Cool
13. Turncoat
Producer: Bryan Russell, Run Time: 52 minutes, 43 seconds
Myspace
Buy This Now
AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 78
02:02 AM on 07/20/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
This has shot up my AOTY list in the past two weeks. Just back this band, people.
02:33 AM on 07/20/10
cuzimlefthanded
Registered Member
User Info.
This has shot up my AOTY list in the past two weeks. Just back this band, people.
Done. I loved their EP, and will most likely enjoy this LP just as much.
02:36 AM on 07/20/10
jco3
Hi.
User Info.
Hot diggity, I need to listen to this. Like tomorrow, baby.
02:38 AM on 07/20/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Recommended If You LikeDeath Cab for Cutie if they had a female vocalist and instrumentals that were more fun to listen to

Jesus...
02:44 AM on 07/20/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
I'm happy as hell. I'm downloading this as soon as possible.
02:53 AM on 07/20/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Wow. I've never actually listened to them, but your review has me very very interested.
03:12 AM on 07/20/10
chrossiepher
User Info.
their cover of Tautou by Brand New is amazing
03:12 AM on 07/20/10
kaduck2007
User Info.
Been excited for this release, and your review is going to make waiting for that Tuesday next so much longer. Guess I'll just have to keep listening to their ep for now. No complaints here.
03:16 AM on 07/20/10
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you suck for having heard this before me.
03:38 AM on 07/20/10
Pawan1993
Change isn't the same as progress
User Info.
You call it the AOTY of this genre, but is it really that good? How would the new Lydia compare with this?
03:48 AM on 07/20/10
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
new lydia and this make for a very happy me.
and new ivoryline is coming out soon as well.

now i just wish ellington would release their full length
04:46 AM on 07/20/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Wow. I've never actually listened to them, but your review has me very very interested.
Check this out when it drops for sure.
You call it the AOTY of this genre, but is it really that good? How would the new Lydia compare with this?
I haven't heard it yet, but this is that good. You can decide for yourself when you hear it though.
you suck for having heard this before me.
I got this weeks ago haha
05:39 AM on 07/20/10
adestria
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very good review :)
05:49 AM on 07/20/10
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
I wish this would leak so i could listen.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos