AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Emarosa - Emarosa Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 9.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.91
Musicianship 7.7
Lyrics 7.16
Production 8.05
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.84
Reviewer Tilt 8.18
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Emarosa - Emarosa

Reviewed by: Kevin Lazaroff (07/20/10)
Emarosa - Emarosa
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: June 29, 2010

In 2008 the scene found out that Jonny Craig was to be the new singer of Emarosa. Six months later, the band released their debut full length titled Relativity to mostly positive reviews. I, however, was unimpressed. While the vocal work was much improved over the band’s EP, Jonny Craig (the most infamous tool in the scene)’s uniquely incredible voice did not blend well with the instrumentation. All cohesion was lost. Overly crunchy guitars paired with excessive drum fills and horrible post-production mixing made for a disappointing release.

But what a difference two years can make. It’s now 2010 and the Lexington, Kentucky sextet has released a new self-titled album. From the second (and I do mean the first second) the record begins, it is blatantly obvious that the Emarosa has changed. The instrumentation style has been drastically modified to fit Jonny Craig’s voice. I am not exaggerating when I say that every single aspect of this record displays marked improvement of Relativity . The guitars sing more beautifully, with more differentiation in tone and feel (see: “A Toast To The Future Kids!” or “Pretend. Relive. Regret.”). The vocal runs hit sweeter highs and lows, with more angst packed in every note (check out “The Weight of Love Blinds Eyes”). Even Craigs’s soulful chants are filled with more emotion (“We Are Life”). However the screams (“I Still Can’t Feel Her Pt. 4”) are what really put this album over the edge. To put it briefly… they are epic. In fact, my only complaint about Emarosa is that it doesn’t feature enough of these shattering screams.

Lastly, even after looking at the improved guitar and vocal work, the biggest step forward in Emarosa is perhaps the drumming. Manned by Lukas Koszewski, the drum kit truly drives the entire album. While much less complex and showy then Relativity, the kit work on Emarosa is much more foundational, with many of the tracks on the album being built around the drums as opposed to on top of them. Because of this, the record seems to have more of a consistent flow to it. Additionally, it is obvious that producer and engineer Brian McTernan put some serious work into the actual sound of the drums themselves (see: the intro to “The Truth Hurts While Laying On Your Back”).

To put it briefly, Emarosa is a masterpiece. There are those who will find it too soft and there are those that will find it too simple. However, those people are overlooking what making music is about… delivering the best record that one can. Personally, I don’t see how Emarosa could have done a better job at achieving that goal. As much as I want to hate you, bravo Jonny Craig… Bravo.

Track Ratings
A Toast to the Future Kids! (A)
Pretend. Relive. Regret. (A-)
Share the Sunshine Young Blood (A)
The Truth Hurts While Laying on Your Back (A-)
Live It. Love It. Lust It. (B+)
The Game Played Right (A-)
Broken Vs. The Way We Were Born (A-)
I Still Feel Her Pt. 4 (B+)
The Weight of Love Blinds Eyes (B)
We Are Life (A+)

Recommended If You Like Jonny Craig; Dance Gavin Dance; Isles & Glaciers

www.myspace.com/emarosa

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26.
10:26 PM on 07/20/10
DylanPPPP
snooch to the nooch mother fucker
User Info.
You know I never noticed how badly the instrumentation went with Jonny's voice on Relativity until I heard this album. I liked Emarosa before but now I think I love them! Good review.

And on a side note, in I Still Feel Her is that Jonny screaming or is it another member? Just curious if anyone knows.
12:48 AM on 07/21/10
vivatoto56
Nice Try, The Devil
User Info.
And on a side note, in I Still Feel Her is that Jonny screaming or is it another member? Just curious if anyone knows.
According to Drew Beringer's review it is.
06:27 PM on 07/21/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
It definetely is Jonny screaming.
It is also, in my opinion, one of the worst parts of the album.

Absolutely love it though
09:26 PM on 07/21/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Great review. I can't get over how much I fucking love this album
04:54 AM on 07/22/10
Jgoddard
User Info.
really getting into this album, good review
10:42 AM on 07/22/10
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
Awesome review. I'll give this a listen.
10:25 PM on 07/22/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
great review, great album

:D
12:26 AM on 07/23/10
Sheluligans
Focus on the horizon.
User Info.
One of the many great albums that have come out this year. Nice review.
06:54 AM on 07/23/10
mylohimself
Swim
User Info.
I planned on getting this album, now I'm stoked.
08:09 AM on 07/23/10
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
Thank you for your review. I was seriously on the fence about getting this album, but now I think I just might.
09:26 AM on 07/23/10
DistractionHxC
User Info.
The songs are actually memorable on this album, unlike Relativity. The songs on Relativity all seemed to blend together and not really go with the vocals. If you haven't wanted to check out Emarosa in the past then this is the album that you will want to pick up to get a good glimpse of them.
11:04 AM on 07/23/10
TellYourFriends
User Info.
Nice review. Looks like you convinced someone to pick it up!
12:42 PM on 07/23/10
hello299
User Info.
Good review, good album.
01:38 PM on 07/23/10
Kevin Lazaroff
Kevin Lazaroff
User Info.
Nice review. Looks like you convinced someone to pick it up!
I know! That's pretty awesome. And it is definitely worth the purchase.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests