AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Alan Cohen Experience - 07.22.10

Interviewed by
Alan Cohen Experience - 07.22.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Alan Cohen Experience
http://www.alancohenexperience.com
http://www.myspace.com/alancohenexperience
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alan-Cohen-Experience
http://twitter.com/acexperience
http://www.greenlightgopublicity.com...ohenexperience

1. How did you get your band name?
My friend Squigee and I formed a White Stripes drums/guitar knockoff, and he suggested we call it the Alan Cohen Experience. The problem was that he is not nearly as hot as Meg White, and I am not nearly as hot as Jack White. We never actually played together either, which makes this the second of three purely-conceptual bands I have started. The first was called Zang!, with my friend Brad.

2. How did this band get started?
Since the collaboration didn't work, I went solo. I started putting out singles for various compilation CD's.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Grateful Dead, Beatles, Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder, God Street Wine, Dwight Twilley. I don't sound like any of them, but I like them all quite a bit.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Grateful Dead, although I would most likely just end up a hippy minion following them around in my VW minivan. That would be another conceptual band.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Gonzo, the Muppet. I have been told I am reminiscent of him by completely independent people.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I am the only musician on Earth that can write catchy songs about Theoretical Physics and musically reference specific aspects of obscure rock genres.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"The Universe is Expanding", and it would be 3.5 stars. The riff during the chorus is tough to really nail correctly.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Don Macaronihead, who starred in the movie adaption of Fast Food Nation. This will generate a global "WTF?!" moment, and only two people on the face of the Earth will get it. One is me, the other is my friend Dan, although I'm not sure he will remember this.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Oof, loaded question. I just deleted a rambling rant, and will instead say that I wish musicians were as good at growing facial hair as they were in the 60's and 70's. Seriously, all those classic rockers were in their early 20's with gorgeous beards! I can't grow shit.

10. Memorable tour experience?
With my rock band Family Junction. We got our first rock and roll flashing in a pizza place in NY, and we ran away. Like, literally ran away. WTF was wrong with us?!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Real people, real opinions, real music lovers.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Shoop" by Salt-n-Pepa. I can NAIL the vocals.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I really like hanging out in the Arab world. They have a great aesthetic sense and really know how to relax and take it easy. Their language is very old world and poetic, which comes through in how they speak English. They also have some very funny quirks, and there is nothing better than a hot day in Egypt, when your tour guide WHO IS DRESSED IN A SWEATER gets interrupted by his cell phone ring tone which is "everybody dance now!"

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Beach Boys, Janis Joplin mostly. Some Raffi too, of course.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Well, I HAVE a super power, and it is balance/unbalance. I used to think it was untying knots, but I realized that I can balance objects and situations really well, and do the opposite of course.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Nope. But that's OK. I am happy with my fanbase, and I don't need fame and riches to justify my musical existence. Much less pressure this way.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I am really a bass player. Guitar was just a side-hobby for me.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Learn about theoretical physics. It helps with my Time Travel adventures.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I am expert at fixing toilets.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums