Password

Album Review

We Were Skeletons - We Were Skeletons Album Cover

We Were Skeletons - We Were Skeletons

Reviewed by
We Were Skeletons - We Were Skeletons
Release Date: June 29, 2010
Record Label: Top Shelf Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
I have an attention problem. I love music that's so bat-shit crazy and all over the place that I don't even want to be able to pinpoint a center of gravity on the track. Reason? Well, I guess I just like to get lost in it. Sometimes it's just fun to pick out the best parts or riffs or harmonies in all the mess. It's like a musical Where's Waldo, but instead of looking for Waldo, you're constantly trying to find the twin girls or dog with a stupid scarf.

Damn that dog. I'll find you yet.

We Were Skeletons carries on the insanity of discovery with engaging time signatures and rhythmic noodling worthy of Thomas Erak and Casey Boland's guitar skills. On their self-titled, there's much to love and little to hate and get past.

"Bruce Willis is Dead the Whole Time" is the crown jewel of the album. Exhaustion builds into an instrumental birthing of harmonies and an outlash of reckoning. Some incredible timing and guitar structure lie across "Exposure to Heavy Metal Causes Whatever," and "It's Like Science" starts aggressive and drains like an I.V. on the hospital floor. "This Destroys Us" is the worst panic attack you've had in a while, and it feels refreshing when it's finally over.

Where We Were Skeletons fails is pulling out many of the parts you want to find throughout. "Drawn From the Houses I've Burnt" and "Well, I Did Spend a Year in College" feel too traditionally kept in the basements of five person pits. While there is much to love about "Kids," it still feels like an old throwback and less a contemporary trophy.

We Were Skeletons has given us speed freaks and Ritalin addicts an album to enjoy - it's just not without a few flaws. Considering the timing and glow of most of the album, it's a fix that's not hard to swallow. After a few listens, it's glad to feel something intense and sporadic again. I mean, wait, what were we talking about?

Track Listing1. Drawn From the Houses I've Burnt
2. Exposure to Heavy Metal Causes Whatever*
3. Pudge Paws
4. It's Like Science*
5. Kids
6. Her Stomach is a Lioness
7. Bruce Willis Is Dead the Whole Time**
8. This Destroys Us*
9. Well, I Did Spend a Year in College

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeHot Cross' Cryonics; Fall of Troy's s/t; City of Caterpillar's Demo + Live Recording

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
07:46 AM on 07/28/10
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
I just watched The Sixth Sense again yesterday.
09:01 AM on 07/28/10
RadiantEyes
Between The Heart and The Synapse
User Info.
Really TFOT...I'LL check this out....Great review as always!
10:59 AM on 07/28/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Good review. I dig this album, but it's certainly not the best thing to come out of the genre this year.
11:59 AM on 07/28/10
Mochem
User Info.
I almost bought this but I realized I've been spending way too much money on music recently. So damn you for making me want it again.
01:28 PM on 07/28/10
voncorn
-
User Info.
I played a show with We Were Skeletons a few nights ago, bunch of really nice guys.
05:43 PM on 07/28/10
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
SPOILERRRRRR ALERT
This sounds extremely entertaining.
06:52 PM on 07/28/10
S7ranburgLar
We're not for them(and that's cool)
User Info.
good review, decent album.
06:45 AM on 07/29/10
crimes
douchebag
User Info.
i was walking around warped and the topshelf records tent stopped me and asked if i wanted to listen. we talked about pianos become the teeeth and how i was the first person they'd met on the tour who actually know who they were and loved them. and then they showed me "Exposure to Heavy Metal" and i loved it.

/coolstorybro
12:12 PM on 08/04/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
i was walking around warped and the topshelf records tent stopped me and asked if i wanted to listen. we talked about pianos become the teeeth and how i was the first person they'd met on the tour who actually know who they were and loved them. and then they showed me "Exposure to Heavy Metal" and i loved it.

/coolstorybro
def cool story. I bought the Pianos album and Kevin gave me the My Heart To Joy release...from here on out I'm in love with this label...
07:27 PM on 11/16/10
ACA
Next Show: RIOT FEST CHICAGO!!!!!!!
User Info.
Good review. I dig this album, but it's certainly not the best thing to come out of the genre this year.
If I like this album, what else should I get?
07:41 PM on 11/16/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
If I like this album, what else should I get?
For this year? Check out the latest releases from Pianos Become the Teeth and The Saddest Landscape. Otherwise, the RIYL section is a good place to start. With the mention of City of Caterpillar, one must also bring up Pg.99.
07:46 PM on 11/16/10
ACA
Next Show: RIOT FEST CHICAGO!!!!!!!
User Info.
For this year? Check out the latest releases from Pianos Become the Teeth and The Saddest Landscape. Otherwise, the RIYL section is a good place to start. With the mention of City of Caterpillar, one must also bring up Pg.99.
Yea this year -- you mentioned it's not the best from 2010 in the genre, so I was wondering what else was better. I'll check out The Saddest Landscape, I do like Pianos Become Teeth.

The "RIYL" are fairly accurate (and great bands).
03:06 AM on 11/17/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Yea this year -- you mentioned it's not the best from 2010 in the genre, so I was wondering what else was better. I'll check out The Saddest Landscape, I do like Pianos Become Teeth.

The "RIYL" are fairly accurate (and great bands).
TSL's album is streaming on their AP.net profile

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version