AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Black Veil Brides - We Stitch These Wounds Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 0.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 2
Production 3
Creativity 3
Lasting Value 1
Reviewer Tilt 0.75
Final Verdict: 26%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.36
Musicianship 4.91
Lyrics 4.18
Production 4.02
Creativity 3.91
Lasting Value 4.14
Reviewer Tilt 4.23
Average: 43%
Inside AP.net

Black Veil Brides - We Stitch These Wounds

Reviewed by: red8ge (07/30/10)
Black Veil Brides - We Stitch These Wounds
Record Label: Standby Records
Release Date: July 20 2010

Following in the footsteps of bands like Escape The Fate and Bullet For My Valentine, Black Veil Brides sets out to blend their brand of modern metalcore with 80's speed metal. If one took the band at face value for their appearance, one could be turned away by their style that seems like a combination of 80's glam metal, Japanese Visual-kei, and good ol' American mall-emo. Their combination of images definitely represents what one could be getting into by picking up this album.

The most positive thing is the band can play their instruments fairly well. The music itself sets it apart from the other bands in the genre who are heavily reliant on chug chords and breakdowns. Not to say that the music doesn't incorporate breakdowns, because they are definitely "one of those bands". If anything, they substitute the breakdowns with an almost excessive amount of solos. Granted, even though the band tries to play multiple styles of rock and metal solos, many of the songs sound similar and contain the same structure. Solos are often found in the same places, and one can definitely feel a sense that there was a formula involved in their songwriting. However formulaic some of the songs can be, they are by no means the worst part of the album.

What ruins this album the most is the vocals. "Andy Sixx"'s voice brings down much of the album and makes it impossibly hard to appreciate the rest of the album with his singing. His voice is incredibly monotone, and most songs he either sounds really bored, or he's mumbling. In the song "Sweet Blasphemy", he attempts to try and make his voice slightly more gravely to give it an edge, but it falls flat and just sounds goofy. His screaming is just as bad, when he gives out the occasional weak shriek which sounds more whiny than aggressive. The screams are so bad, I'm very certain you could just look up some kid on Youtube's cover of a Black Veil Brides song and it will probably be five times better than what Sixx delivers. In some bands, having a low voice in comparison to higher pitched guitar playing could be a nice contrast, but Sixx's voice isn't interesting or different enough to provide the music anything other than making you focus on how bad it is. Anytime one might hear a pretty nice riff or section in a song, Sixx's voice will completely decimate any enjoyment one could have. The lyrics are your standard affair for the genre, trying to give hope against adversity while not providing anything worthwhile for anyone over fifteen.

It's very clear who this album targets, but that's not to say it doesn't do some things right. Despite doing some things right however, this album is a perfect example of vocals ruining an album. They have the formula of combining speed metal and metalcore down pretty well, except in the vocal department, where it destroys anything good that could have come out of it. The guitars could have made this a potentially fun album if they didn't have Sixx as a vocalist. Even though there's nothing this band does musically that's new or exciting, it's still fun in places, and this is coming from someone that is not a fan at all of this type of music. Basically, if you're a huge fan of guitar solos, have the power to block out vocals and to not see what the band looks like, then you might want to check out a song or toot. If guitar solos do absolutely nothing for you, then there's nothing really on this album for you.

Recommended If You LikeBullet For My Valentine, Escape The Fate, Being pleasantly surprised by something only to have that pleasantness completely decimated

http://www.myspace.com/blackveilbrides

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 52
08:37 PM on 08/03/10
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
I heard the single and I have to say this is probably the worst new band from this year
12:24 PM on 08/04/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They lost any chance I might have given them when I clicked on their myspace, saw the banner, and saw the beginning of the video.

Although the vocals might deserve a little more than a .5, I didn't think they were THAT awful.
01:03 PM on 08/04/10
Knoxcat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
these dudes can go die
07:27 PM on 08/04/10
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
I downloaded this album then deleted it after flipping through about three songs.

I never delete music from my computer.

But I couldn't stand this being on there.
11:44 AM on 08/05/10
WorldByStorm55
Riding the Wings of Pestilence
User Info.
This album is solid and doesn't deserve the hate its getting on here. Black Veil Brides are an amazing band musicially and shred harder than anyone out there. Also the vocals, while not nearly as stunning as the instrumentals are nowhere near as bad as you say they are. They didn't ruin the album for me and many other people that bought this album. Way too harsh of a review. This isn't a bad record at all.
03:36 PM on 08/05/10
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can name 10 other bands that shred much, much harder than Black Veil Brides, and they don't wear retarded costumes or have kids in the same costumes chanting their name in their music videos.

Seriously? This isn't 1986.
06:26 PM on 08/05/10
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
I can name 10 other bands that shred much, much harder than Black Veil Brides, and they don't wear retarded costumes or have kids in the same costumes chanting their name in their music videos.

I'm not going to compare them to a band like Cynic, I compared them to their contemporaries in whateverthehellCORE they play. They play their instruments fairly well that it takes some of the focus off of the vocals, as opposed to making this a vocal centric record. I didn't try to imply these guys were guitar virtuosos (maybe the score was too high).
10:38 PM on 08/05/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Definitely this year's Brokencyde.
11:14 PM on 08/05/10
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not going to compare them to a band like Cynic, I compared them to their contemporaries in whateverthehellCORE they play. They play their instruments fairly well that it takes some of the focus off of the vocals, as opposed to making this a vocal centric record. I didn't try to imply these guys were guitar virtuosos (maybe the score was too high).
Oh sorry I wasn't saying anything about the review I was talking to WorldByStorm55. Your assessment was pretty much spot-on.
04:45 AM on 08/06/10
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
I remember seeing a music video of theirs and it was good before the music came in
07:27 AM on 08/06/10
WorldByStorm55
User Info.
Definitely this year's Brokencyde.
Never compare this band to BrokeNCYDE. Thanks.
07:28 AM on 08/06/10
WorldByStorm55
User Info.

Alright then I challenge you to name 10 modern bands that shred harder than black veil brides.
07:48 AM on 08/06/10
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Between the Buried and Me, The Human Abstract, Dillinger Escape Plan, Whitechapel (specifically on New Era of Corruption), Death (I don't care whether that's modern enough for you), Cynic as mentioned by red8ge, From First to Last (specifically on Throne to the Wolves), The Fall of Troy (Thomas fucking Erak), Shadows Fall, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Protest the Hero, Botch...

I can keep going.

Hell, I'd even say that obvious-influences BFMV and Escape the Fate's "shredding" is both more interesting and technical than BVB's.
09:17 AM on 08/06/10
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
I'm perplexed as to how one would think that Black Veil Brides shred harder than any other band.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums