AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Use As Directed - Any Other Girl EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 5.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.17
Lyrics 6.17
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.33
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 5.08
Average: 65%
Inside AP.net

Use As Directed - Any Other Girl EP

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (08/01/10)
Use As DirectedAny Other Girl EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: August 8, 2010

Who?

Fresh out of high school, Aurora, Canada’s Use As Directed have eagerly embraced their love of softer pop-punk/rock music with their debut EP, Any Other Girl.

How is it?

Any Other Girl is a fine beginning for Use As Directed, combining slower rock tunes with infectious poppy hooks. The prime example of this combination being title track “Any Other Girl,” which begins the EP as one of the slowest tracks on the record. Despite the cliché lyrics about a loss of love, the track sets up the EP well as the pace picks up over foot-tapping inducing chanting. “Change Your Mind” is a faster number, courtesy of vocalist Keegan Powell and guitarist Adam Gitto. Lyrically, the track is the antithesis of the opening track; however, it is still by no means a lyrical highlight.

“Wasted” begins with a country-esque feel (see The Maine’s latest record) and in fact is incredibly reminiscent of The Maine’s latest single, “Right Girl.” Being as that track is one of few decent tracks by The Maine, this is not by any means a terrible comparison, as the track is indeed appealing and diverse for Use As Directed. The final “All That I Want” features an especially catchy chorus, although again is nothing special due to the rest of the track dragging on.

While Any Other Girl does have many faults (lack of originality, cliché lyrics, etc), it is a definite opening for Use As Directed into the genre. If they can continue to experiment and find their own sound, as they lack a true identity, UAD could definitely end up making a name for themselves in their genre.

Recommended If You Likepop-punk/rock music; The All-American Rejects; The Maine’s Black & White

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Any Other Girl
2. Wasted
3. Change My Mind
4. All That I Want

Use As Directed are:
Keegan Powell – Vocals, Guitar
Adam Gitto – Guitar
Kevin Lacaille – Bass
Nick Ross – Drums

myspace.com/useasdirectedband