Bern & the Brights - 07.27.10
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Bern & the Brights
1. How did you get your band name?
Bernadette: “Bern & the Brights” began as just a phrase, a gnawing hunch that woke singer Bernadette Malavarca in the middle of some night way ahead of the band’s formation. She jotted it in a notebook with the rest of the thought: “Gonna start a band. It’ll be Bern & the Brights . . . should be sleeping.”
2. How did this band get started?
Catherine: The start of the band was random and somewhat by happenstance. I was working at a bookstore that was about to go out of business and for the last day they were open she threw a big concert filled with 6 hours of local bands. I asked Bernadette to perform in it and Bernadette wanted to do it with a full band. So, she had me play acoustic guitar. Jose and Nicole both worked on small recording projects with Bernadette and I the year prior, so she asked them to join in on the show. Shawn had played bass in another friend's band, so Bernadette looked towards him when trying to find a solid musician to jump on bass. Our chemistry was instant and after this show, we just stuck together because we continued to get offered shows and have great responses to what we were doing.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Catherine: We're influenced by a great many, and for each member it varies drastically, but our sound is primarily influenced by: Jeff Buckley, The National, The Frames, Bon Iver, Broken Social Scene, R.E.M., PJ Harvey and The Clash.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Bernadette: Really early R.E.M.. Because I think we would've fit well with the sonic space they fill and the fans they attract.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Bernadette: A kitten because they're cute, and also, cats are so independent.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Catherine: We play music that's driving and bright. We're happy to share this with anyone who's looking for some new music.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Catherine: Probably our song "God's Country." It has a great blues riff and a cool drum part. I think the drums might be the most difficult on expert.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Bernadette: My band and every fan who's been solid through the grass-roots level with us, god, friends, family...
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Catherine: The reliance of new music to support old, catalog music. The state of the music industry is mostly failing because catalog sales are taking a nose-dive since people are now filling their back-logs up quickly with mp3s. I think if the two could be separated and a full support for new music was launched we could see a positive change.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Catherine: I think our most favorite tour experience has been to the Berkshires in western MA. We played a house party in the middle of the woods between a river and train tracks. It's just a really fun show. We play for about 3 hours straight, sweat, dance, sing, and then hang out around a huge bonfire after all is said and done.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Catherine: It's a place to discover new music and watch it thrive.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Bernadette: "I See Red." It's one of our songs and there's just a lot of space, it's very melodic to sing during the verses and the chorus has a fun guitar riff.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Bernadette: In the woods, in a large cabin, near a train and running water.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Bernadette: Any new-wave / punk-rock / grunge such as: The Clash, The Smiths, Pearl Jam, Nirvana...and Elvis.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Catherine: I think we're still a story in the making, but we have a wonderful, supportive, fan-base in our home territory and I don't think you can ask for much more than that.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Catherine: We're all mostly shy, silly and nerdy. We just like to read books, collect music and make jokes. I think our humor comes across on stage at times, but sometimes I think people might not realize how silly we can be.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Bernadette: See movies, draw, read and be in nature.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Catherine: I can juggle!
12:28 PM on 08/05/10