AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Devil Wears Prada, The - Dear Love A Beautiful Discord Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.07
Musicianship 7.41
Lyrics 6.72
Production 6.99
Creativity 6.88
Lasting Value 7.19
Reviewer Tilt 6.76
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

Devil Wears Prada, The - Dear Love A Beautiful Discord

Reviewed by: FaceLixeMurder (10/30/06)
When it comes to the bands that Rise Records showcases, everyone automatically thinks generic screamo. Well I am here to inform that there is atleast one band on this label that might be worth listening to. That band is The Devil Wears Prada, who just released their debut LP. When first hearing this album you think "Drop Dead Gorgeous," think again...This is what Drop Dead wished they could be and were not even closed to achieving, lucky for us The Devil Wears Prada has achieved a success.

In the genre of metal-core, screamo, emo, metal. Even metalscreamometalindierock seems like it might be the next "scene" genre to arise and take over for a couple of months so that a few kids can get their jollies. In this monotonous genre there is a band that is on a trip to become more than a worthless "scene" band that is forgotton by the next morning. The Devil Wears Prada attempt to overcome this blockade in the road of music is "Dear Love A Beautiful Discord." In this debut LP, they combine intricate guitar work with infecting screams and growls that send a shiver down your spine. I suggest listening to this album in a hospital or at least have a doctor near by. Throw in some almighty drums and heavenly keys and you have described The Devil Wears Prada.

From beginning to end there is not a sluggish part. This album is one that keeps you on the edge of your seat, just so you can hear the next breathtaking song. "The Ascent" kicks off the album with a creepy-horror-movie-vibe that sets the tone for the entire record. Then "The Gauntlet" crashes through your speakers and pummels you with shredding guitars and melodic screams, all leading up to an enormous hair-raising breakdown, in which you want to windmill-kick whatever object might be near you. "Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over" is an impressive song that sounds reminiscent of Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster with a southern-rock aura to it. It also ends with a gut-wrenching breakdown incorporating the keyboard and bass talent, you will instantly want more. That is exactly what you will get another solid track to add to a cohesive unit of obliteration, "And The Sentence Trails Off." "Rosemary Had An Accident" follows and proves worthy in the line-up due to many timing shifts, this is one of the most techinical songs on the record and definitely a keeper. Next is "Redemption", sort of an intermission with sort of a holy and creepy sound to it, but leads into "Swords, Dragons, & Diet Coke."

This could be considered the second part of the episode known as "Dear Love A Beautiful Discord." Obvious from the title this track is poking fun at the Dungeons and Dragons fanatics. At the end of this song there is an appealing breakdown with a Still Remains feel to it. Beautifully transitioning into "Who Speaks Spanish, Colon Quesadilla," this track starts the merging of more of a keyboard sound into the record. Next is "Texas Is South," my personal favorite on the album and most impressive. Clocking in at 6:08 this is the longest song on the record and that it should be. Beginning with eloquent keys and brutal guitars, under the impassioned growls, it is not hard to a stand-out track. After a brief low key section, they waste no time in getting you out into that pit yet once again. High pitch screams take you out on a thrilling ride of destruction. Ending is once again a talented breakdown leading into "Modify The Pronunciation" which is one stretched lenghty breakdown itself. "Salvation" much like its predecessor "Redemption" keeps the angelic yet macabre mood in tact. Leading into a full-on attack from every instrument in the band to send you on your way...

Track Listing
1. The Ascent
2. The Gauntlet
3. Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over
4. And The Sentence Trails Off__
5. Rosemary Had An Accident
6. Redemption
7. Swords, Dragons, And Diet Coke
8. Who Speaks Spanish, Colon Quesadilla
9. Texas Is South
10. Modify The Pronunciation
11. Salvation

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
03:07 PM on 11/14/06
AlexChallenger
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I guess Joey would be glad that his production got the highest score. Decent dudes. Rise has another awesome metal band in the works. As much as everyone seems to shit on Rise these days.
04:14 PM on 12/10/06
cuetheflames
calling out to the astronaut
User Info.
my friends are playing a show with them on the 22nd of this month.

haha.. idk if its like it on the cd but in concert one time right before a breakdown they stopped and went "chuck norris is the reason waldo is hiding"
09:41 AM on 01/22/07
hxcbeauty
User Info.
amazing cd. i love them. just an awesome band and greaaat live
11:08 PM on 04/25/07
kevinisdying
User Info.
this is a solid debut from an amazing band.
01:58 PM on 12/10/07
chocolate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
despite their song titles to be super stupid this band is my absolute fave and there new cd Plagues kicks ass ...
10:15 AM on 01/09/08
OhRandi
User Info.
This is one of my favorites albums of all time. It just never gets old for me. I've listened to it thousands of times and still appreciate it. Talented dudes.

The thing is, their new album kicks ass, too. I'd suggest getting 'Plagues' if you liked this one.
06:57 PM on 03/05/10
dancorexx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I personally love this album its a little raw but I'm actually into that. I really like that in this album they still have so many keyboard sounds. Never get tired of this one.
06:22 PM on 07/18/10
TyBreaker
www.facebook.com/IWasAfraid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is truely epic! Loved listening to it over and over with friends
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives