AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Shorthand Phonetics - 08.10.10

Interviewed by: Jenny Tate (08/10/10)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Shorthand Phonetics
www.shorthandphonetics.co.cc

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, the band got its name when it was still a five-piece (now it's just me). We wanted a band name that really didn't mean anything so people don't assume anything when they first listen to the music. And I had an interest in linguistics so we started to look at terms and found "Shorthand" and "Phonetics". Later however I found that "shorthand phonetics" actually meant something. Apparently some academic paper tried to establish "shorthand phonetics" as a synonym for text messaging. You know like "Whn r u comin?" Guess the term never caught on...it's just a band name now! Lol.

2. How did this band get started?
In the high school I went to, we had to fill fifty hours with "creative endeavors" as part of the International Baccalaureate Creativity, Action and Service program. So the fifty hours of "creative endeavors" became fifty hours of "band practice"! And that's how it started. The band kinda dissolved after high school, now it's just me.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Early on I was influenced by R.E.M., Blur, Oasis and the White Stripes. When the band got started I was listening to a lot of Dashboard Confessional and Jimmy Eat World (there's a reason I have album 1 and album 4 album end with an attempt to re-write "Goodbye Sky Harbor" hahah). On the new record I've been listening to a lot of Minus the Bear, Algernon Cadwallader and Alkaline Trio though...I'm always influenced by music I love, and the list isn't gonna stop anytime soon.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Early 80s supporting R.E.M. and Black Flag touring middle America...right in the middle of that sort of Hardcore Scene...maybe move to D.C. at the late 80s, early 90s...hahaha

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Beaaaarrrrrrr...rrraaawr! Coz I like to sleep I guess...

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well, I'm trying to use music to tell this biography of a Japanese national named Hanabishi Hideaki and his trials and tribulations in high school and med school. And his side career as a fiction writer. It's a multi-album concept and I just released the latest chapter of his life like a week ago. (more info: http://shorthandphonetics.tumblr.com/lore ) It's called "thirty-four minutes with hide and tsubasa" and it's the fifth album in the series! It is a pay what you want download (even FREE!) that can be found here: http://shorthandphonetics.bandcamp.c...de-and-tsubasa

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Well, if I only got one song it's GOT TO BE...“Natalies for Glasses IV (”Remember when I said, 'Yes, joining Castle would be a very bad idea for me but I’m joining anyway,' and followed it up with a string of maniacal laughter while playing Mass Effect and I queued up “橙” by チャットモンチー and “One More Sad Song” by the All-American Rejects for you to hear? Look where it got us…look where it got her. I'm wanted to quit, by the way. But I won’t, I guess. Cause I love you guys! But I dunno…”)” from album 4 Errors in Calculating Odds, Errors in Calculating Value. It's a 7 minute multi-movement 3rd-gen-emo ballad with 2 solos and lots of twinkly guitar parts and the penultimate section has a 3 voice parts saying different things and ends with a rousing pop-punk octave chord crescendo...it's perfect for Rock Band 3! The song's not that hard, it's just an epic experience to play (well I'd like to think so...)

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
God, Probability, My family, my best friend Vania, "Tsubasa", and last but not least ectcetera.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
To lessen the might of the major labels. But that's happening already I think. This is the best time to be an indie-rocker methinks anyway. I wouldn't wanna be born any time else (even to tour with early R.E.M. like I said earlier). Now is the best.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Well one time I was playing this cafe and instead of playing my usual songs, we just went into this 25 minute cover of Pink Floyd's "Interstellar Overdrive" and It. Was. EPIC.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's my main source to find out about new music I love. Always been and I think always will be. After all it's coz of AP.net I found out Jimmy Eat World existed...changed my life.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Currently "Raised by Teenage Girls." Its this charity single for UNIFEM's Sound Out Against Sex Trafficking site...good cause. Link here: http://soundout.sg/

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Singapore and...Halifax, Nova Scotia

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Hanson, Britney Spears, Aqua and Linkin Park (non-stop in my mom's car! Hi Mom!)

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Mind reading. So I'd know what everybody's on about...

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No, not at all. "Making it" is overrated anyway...

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I really really really really love NCIS and Friday Night Lights.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Eid ul-Fitr, we eat all day...and all of the night!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Playing video games, working on my novel, restarting my novel, being depressed coz I'll probably never finish my novel...write a concept album about failing to write a novel...etc.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Sleeping.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News