Password

Album Review

Skies Alive - Say It Back EP Album Cover

Skies Alive - Say It Back EP

Reviewed by
Skies Alive - Say It Back EP
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: November 21, 2009
Skies Alive’s Say it Back EP is a brief but poignant introduction to this young band out of Minneapolis. It certainly won’t knock listeners off of their feet but it will peak their interest, which is one of the most important objectives of any EP. None of the three offerings here legitimately beg to be replayed, which is a downfall, but they do showcase a group of young musicians with a knack for crafting decent pop/rock songs.

“I-80” opens up strong with good verses as vocalist Andrew Poitras sings “How could I have been so wrong about something I wanted for so long?” while the chorus is sure to get stuck in heads. The bridge, though, doesn’t deliver like the rest of the song does, and the track as a whole is ultimately weighed down by that fact. Second in rotation is “A Sucker Born Every Minute,” which features an excellent bass line by Nick Westgor that will get feet tapping along with the beat. As Poitras sings in his unique high-pitched voice that “we can’t deny, we’re anchorless/we couldn’t stop this if we tried,” listeners can’t help but sing along. Once again, however, the bridge is weak in comparison with the rest of the song. The EP’s best offering comes last with “I Don’t Deserve You (Like I Don’t Deserve a Hole in My Head),” an extremely catchy number with fast, palm-muted guitar playing in the verses by Matt Brown. The chorus can easily get a crowd of people jumping to it and the bridge is quite powerful, enhanced by Ben Neitge’s work on the drums.

Since only one of the songs here is good from beginning to end, the release as whole lacks the all-important replay value that is key especially with EPs. The first two songs, despite their flaws, still have their high points, though, and the third track is truly impressive. Skies Alive, then, have much room to improve but if they can feed off the energy put forth in “I Don’t Deserve You…” they have a strong chance of making a good name for themselves in the scene.

http://www.myspace.com/skiesalive
This review is a user submitted review from nick19. You can see all of nick19's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version