AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Banquets - This Is Our Concern, Dude Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.19
Lyrics 9.19
Production 9.19
Creativity 8.88
Lasting Value 8.88
Reviewer Tilt 8.31
Average: 90%
Inside AP.net

Banquets - This Is Our Concern, Dude

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (08/17/10)
Banquets - This Is Our Concern, Dude
Record Label: Black Numbers
Release Date: June 1, 2010

Who?

By all sensible units of measure, Banquets should be Absolutepunk.net’s next wide-eyed obsession. The Jersey City quartet has the headstrong punk sound of Sink or Swim-era The Gaslight Anthem, the vivacity of The Bouncing Souls, and the vocals of what must be a tattooed and crusty Stephen Christian (Anberlin). All this makes for one big fat cozy pop-punk-punk-rock-orgcore-sing-along Chipotle. Mmm, Chipotle.

How is it?

This Is Our Concern, Dude is four for four in terms of genuine, first-class music. “Lyndon B. Magic Johnson” is an unrestrained rock’n’roll jab, informing its intended recipient, “I hope you burn your hands picking up the coals” while saving room for some introspection: “I should have more bitter within me, I just need some hurt to heal.” You know, the kind of stuff punk is about these days. “Eleanor, I Need a Garden” targets “catchy” by turning up the bouncy pop-punk and hits a bulls-eye, and “What A Bunch of Aaron Burrs” was written for everyone who ever wished The Gaslight Anthem was more edgy. But “I Wish I Was a Little More Lou Diamond Phillips” goes as far as to pull vibes from ’59 Sound; self-deprecation never sounded so pleasant as when you hear the mournful singer whimper his mouthful: “I was a son of a bitch… Cut me call me break me, I’m done” amidst rootsy riffs. So no guffaws when you see the scene spotlights fall on Banquets – any future glory they nab will be well-deserved. For now, though, you have the chance to give them their due praise before anyone else does. Watcha waitin’ for?

Tracklisting1. Lyndon B. Magic Johnson
2. Eleanor, I Need a Garden
3. What A Bunch of Aaron Burrs
4. I Wish I was a Little More Lou Diamond Phillips

Recommended If You LikeThe Gaslight Anthem, Let Me Run, The Bouncing Souls, Polar Bear Club, Anberlin (vocals), Titus Andronicus

Stream the album on Bandcamp.

Visit Banquets on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 41.
08:31 PM on 08/17/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Interesting. I will listen immediately.
08:36 PM on 08/17/10
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Am I the only one who doesn't hear Anberlin at all in them? Even if it is just the vocals. Shrug. Anyway...Great band, and great EP. Really can't wait for more from them. Good review too. Funny thing is, I came here to write up a review for this and notice it's already reviewed at the top of the page haha.
10:29 PM on 08/17/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Am I the only one who doesn't hear Anberlin at all in them? Even if it is just the vocals. Shrug. Anyway...Great band, and great EP. Really can't wait for more from them. Good review too. Funny thing is, I came here to write up a review for this and notice it's already reviewed at the top of the page haha.
Try listening to Anberlin and Banquets back to back. The first Banquets song I heard, I heard right after I finished listening to Anberlin and the comparison in the vocals were uncanny.
10:32 PM on 08/17/10
TerrancePryor
fakewalls.com/metalarcade.net
User Info.
Great review!!
12:24 AM on 08/18/10
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
i don't get the anberlin comparison at all either. haha.
08:25 AM on 08/18/10
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
You have to not have ear drums to not hear the vocal comparison to Anberlin in "Eleanor, I Need A Garden". Anyway, awesome EP.
12:28 PM on 08/18/10
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
I dunno. I still think it's a vague similarity at best. I like Anberlin alright but I feel that this guy's voice is stronger. Whatever though.
12:37 PM on 08/18/10
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
And for those of you from europe we also got the 12" (containing 2 bonus tracks) for sale here:
http://www.coffeebreathandheartache.com/products-page/
These are some awesome dudes, support them by actually buying their shirts/records, they really really deserve it!
11:36 AM on 08/21/10
Andy Young
@YayItsAndy
User Info.
I don't hear Anberlin at all.
But I love this EP.
11:39 PM on 08/21/10
gjp
User Info.
Definitely gonna give this a listen.
01:18 AM on 08/22/10
B.G.
User Info.
Solid
02:14 AM on 08/22/10
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
this sounds good.
06:55 AM on 08/22/10
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
It does kinda sound like Stephen Christian singing Gaslightish songs. Me likey.
07:04 AM on 08/22/10
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
whats with all the track names? why real people?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests