Password

Album Review

Baby Calendar - Gingerbread Dog Album Cover

Baby Calendar - Gingerbread Dog

Reviewed by
Baby CalendarGingerbread Dog
Release Date: June 12, 2006
Label: Happy Birthday To Me Records

Sugary? Yes. Cute? Sure. Annoying? A little. Ok, maybe more than a little. Baby Calendar are a lot like the Halloween candy you are no doubt now looking at disgustedly in the 2nd week of November. At first, Gingerbread Dog is a sweet synthful (sinful) indulgence containing the quirky pop fun of Atom & His Package with all the indie charm of The Anniversary. The second time through it gets less cute. By the third time, you’re begging for something more adult.

The good news is that Baby Calendar know they’re cutesy. In fact, it seems to be their shtick. Any band that would name a song “Skiddledeebee” can’t possibly take themselves too seriously. Additionally, Jackie Biver’s off key sing-speak and Tom Gorrio’s high-pitched nasal tenor only add to the playful nature of the songs and are further evidence that you don’t have to have a good voice to get people interested in your music, especially in the indie pop world.

Childish as Gingerbread Dog may be, the Miami group are without question talented composers. See the concoction that is “Laboratories” and the sweet tambourine rhythm of “Symbiosis” for proof of that. The questions is this however: Is the Ap.net world ready for a band that makes the giddy lyrics of Hellogoodbye look like the somber words of Bayside by comparison? I’m guessing not.

Take in small doses: “Laboratories”, “Zipped Down”

Shiny, happy people: The Never, Atom & His Package, The Anniversary
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
04:49 AM on 11/08/06
dillonzach86
Zachy D
User Info.
My brother likes this band a lot. He played them for me and it's definitely kind of annoying. Yet at the same time, I asked him to play it again. Perhaps for novelty value I guess. It was oddly catchy. Anyway, they're definitely similiar to The Anniversary at least vocal wise.
07:57 AM on 11/08/06
onsundayshoes
fuhuhwha?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great band, the genre is called twee-pop, and its meant to be cute.
09:06 AM on 11/08/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
sounds interesting.
12:01 PM on 11/08/06
ben pequeno
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like this cd a lot.
03:30 PM on 11/10/06
Pistol_Booking
User Info.
good band...nice people.
07:28 PM on 11/12/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
It reminds me of Mates Of State without the organ and a full band behide them..

..so basically it sounds nothing like Mates Of State.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos