AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Miss May I - Monument Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.88
Musicianship 6.92
Lyrics 5.83
Production 7.25
Creativity 3.96
Lasting Value 5.04
Reviewer Tilt 5.04
Average: 58%
Inside AP.net

Miss May I - Monument

Reviewed by: xHoodieWeather (08/20/10)
Miss May I - Monument
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: August 17, 2010

Shredding, breakdown, growl, breakdown, clean vocal, repeat: This is the formulaic song writing that Rise Records bands have come to adopt. Rise is home to many bands that have found success in the scene, including both projects from now exiled Austin Carlile (Attack Attack, Of Mice & Men), The Devil Wears Prada, Jonny Craig's solo work and side projects (Emarosa, Dance Gavin Dance) and of course, Miss May I, another five piece metalcore group from Ohio.

Miss May I captured the attention of the scene last summer with their debut album Apologies Are For The Weak. The album did fairly well on the charts, and more importantly, set them up for success. Since the release of the debut they have toured with other metalcore acts Greeley Estates, blessthefall, and The Devil Wears Prada. They will tour in October with Whitechapel, and in December they will head out to the United Kingdom to support Britain's own Asking Alexandria.

With a fair effort for a debut album, and a good touring history, Miss May I has a lot to live up to, but can they do it? Once again they team up with producer Joey Sturgis, who worked on the debut album. Can Sturgis and Miss May I do it again?

Monument starts exactly the way it's expected: fast drums, shredding guitars, and screams shouting opening lyrics "Holding back from near consumption/ Starving to taste ourselves/ And the sensation of an existence/ Feast for only the ones who are kings" By the time the first breakdown comes in, anybody should be able to understand that it's one of those albums.

As the album progresses, you can notice the differences from the debut, including a more melodic sound and better clean vocals and screams alike. The trashy metal riffs sound slicker and faster, the vocals sound harsher, the screams sound better, and the melodies are improved tons from the last album. Sure bassist Ryan Neff isn't re-inventing the wheel with his clean vocals, but he is doing exactly what is expected of him in a metalcore album, since all metalcore clean vocals tend to sound the same.

The album is also more diverse, featuring aggressive songs like Masses Of Dying Breed, Answers, and Relentless Chaos, and even a more melodic experimental sound in In Recognition. The song is a pleasant surprise at first, as it feels like a breather from the constant breakdown-shredding-breakdown formula, but soon it feels like that one extended bridge in your favorite album that becomes annoying after the first two listens through the album.

One of the highlights of the album comes in the track We Have Fallen, in which Levi Benton and Neff exchange harsh and clean vocals seamlessly.

The album definitely shows growth from the debut album, but it's not quite the growth that will launch Miss May I to the heights of Attack Attack and Bring Me The Horizon. At the end of Monuments, Miss May I is still searching for a signature sound that will solidify their place in the scene. One thing is for certain, they do know how to use their breakdowns well and Monuments is bound to increase the band's fan base.

Recommended If You LikeMetalcore; The Devil Wears Prada; Miss May I - Apologies Are For The Weak; Breakdowns

myspace.com/missmayi

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
01:37 AM on 08/22/10
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
everything improved with this album. vocals, music, and the lyrics. i hate how you compare them to attack attack though, i just get ticked off now whenever i see their name in the midst of a band that i enjoy.
also in between the whitechapel tour and asking alexandria tour they have a headlining tour in the states with confide, the word alive, and some other bands
05:32 AM on 08/22/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Surprised you never mentioned As I Lay Dying. They sound like them quite a bit on this album.
08:26 AM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Surprised you never mentioned As I Lay Dying. They sound like them quite a bit on this album.

I was more focused on comparing them to other Rise bands because that's the type of feel i got from the album, As I Lay Dying is a tad above Rise Records material.
11:14 AM on 08/22/10
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
I was more focused on comparing them to other Rise bands because that's the type of feel i got from the album, As I Lay Dying is a tad above Rise Records material.
a tad? just a tad? as i lay dying well exceeds everything to come from rise. with exception of tdwp
11:16 AM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
a tad? just a tad? as i lay dying well exceeds everything to come from rise. with exception of tdwp

well, i made that statement with The Devil Wears Prada in mind.

plus, although not the best material, the Of Mice & Men record was nice, and things were looking up for the band, until Carlile got kicked out.
11:28 AM on 08/22/10
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.

plus, although not the best material, the Of Mice & Men record was nice, and things were looking up for the band, until Carlile got kicked out.
i agree, that album was pretty packed with greatness, not exactly near as i lay dying's continual improvements and cohesive sounding records though. and as you said the band has gone complete downhill since the departure of carlile.
main thing that bugs me about rise, is the constant flow of the bands going to sturgis.
11:40 AM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
i agree, that album was pretty packed with greatness, not exactly near as i lay dying's continual improvements and cohesive sounding records though. and as you said the band has gone complete downhill since the departure of carlile.
main thing that bugs me about rise, is the constant flow of the bands going to sturgis.

Rise seems as more of a stepping stone than a more permanent label, bands go through rise and manage to get better record deals, and soon enough they will all probably get picked up by Epitaph since they are picking everybody up.

What's good about Rise is that Attack Attack! and TDWP manage to bring in so much money to the label, that way the label can keep looking for decent acts, or at least preparing them to be good someday.

Carlile needs a band that actually likes him.
12:38 PM on 08/22/10
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
Rise seems as more of a stepping stone than a more permanent label, bands go through rise and manage to get better record deals, and soon enough they will all probably get picked up by Epitaph since they are picking everybody up.

What's good about Rise is that Attack Attack! and TDWP manage to bring in so much money to the label, that way the label can keep looking for decent acts, or at least preparing them to be good someday.

Carlile needs a band that actually likes him.
very sad how attack attack brings in good money. very sad.
12:50 PM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
very sad how attack attack brings in good money. very sad.

at least it keeps the label going, i mean, attack attack brings in the most money out of all those bands easily.
01:25 PM on 08/22/10
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Picked this up yesterday, so much improvement.
Puts Apologies to shame, albeit Apologies wasn't really too good.
04:18 PM on 08/22/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Will be checking this out soon.
05:52 PM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
Picked this up yesterday, so much improvement.
Puts Apologies to shame, albeit Apologies wasn't really too good.

only problem with this is the repetition, at points it feels like one long song.
as soon as they get that figured out and get a more individual sound, they will be good to go.
07:09 PM on 08/22/10
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
only problem with this is the repetition, at points it feels like one long song.
as soon as they get that figured out and get a more individual sound, they will be good to go.
Agreed, and they are among Rise's best.
12:48 AM on 08/23/10
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.

I jocked that band so hard until Austin got kicked, that dude has some of the best screams I've ever heard. Jerry took that band down so many notches its not even funny. I still fully support that album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums