AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Two O'Clock Courage - Sequenced From The Bloodstream Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 85%

Two O'Clock Courage - Sequenced From The Bloodstream

Reviewed by: alienantidote (08/21/10)
Two O’Clock Courage - Sequenced From The Blood Stream
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 9th, 2010

Starting fast and strong, Two O’Clock Courage rolls it out with “Dickie Greenleaf’s Revenge.” No matter the number of times I press repeat on this song, “fuck” is the word that catches on my tongue at each first notice. “He's sitting there with a girl on his arm, working his charm, and I fucking hate him.” There’s nothing quite like a well-placed “fuck” to draw my attention in, I can’t lie. A healthy dose of spite is just the right ingredient for this EP’s opening track.

“Kid-Tested” has a very pogo-driven melody, reminiscent of California’s female-fronted The Breakup. Featuring Sam from iOinetyfour, the addition of the female vocals brings a much more pop-friendly note to the band’s rock sound.

If there’s one song that puts me off of this band in just the slightest, it would be “See You At The Aftermath.” The music is spot-on, as are the vocals. It’s just the chorus that gets me. “’Cause there's nothing we have that popularity can't cure and we're almost there.” I mean, really? Something about these lyrics just puts me off to the song entirely. I almost feel that I would find myself embarrassed to sing along to these words. Perhaps it’s just the use of “popularity” in any sense in this sort of genre that makes me question the motives behind it, but it causes me a slight cringe every time the chorus comes up to play again.

Two O’Clock Courage brings a witty edge to their lyrics amidst all the usual subjects of friends and bitter exes. “Bring The Digital Rain” provides for one of my favorite lines on the release:

“You said 'can't we just be friends', I said 'of course we can,
so long as you never set foot in Connecticut again, we're even.'”

Never mind the point-blank clever reference to the songwriting itself amongst the tone of unsettled revenge:
“Handcuff yourself to this, cause when I reach the breakdown and the bridge
I'm throwing it down in the motherfucking pit, and I hope you get crushed by it.”

This is Four Year Strong for the pop-rock kids who can’t quite handle the rough, raw nature of the easy-core genre, but prefer the polished melodies of bands like All Time Low and Boys Like Girls. Sequenced From The Blood Stream is unquestionably a pop-punk record, served with just enough hardcore breakdowns and gang vocals to keep everyone happy.

Recommended If You LikeFM Static; Fight Fair; Carridale; Exit 4; I Call Fives

myspace.com/twooclockcourage

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
08:07 AM on 08/22/10
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
Was thinking about reviewing this myself.
I love the spite and anger in the lyrics, but to be honest i don't think they are good. Kid Tested is a little clever but See You At The Aftermath's lyrics are horrible. Although i believe the fun and feel good music out-weighs it, you pretty much summed up everything I feel in this review good job.

(I do love the dual-vocals in See You At The Aftermath though, it sounds like the singer from Carridale who is awesome.)
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS