AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Saddle Creek Records News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Interview Questions: Tim Kasher

Posted by - 09:29 AM on 08/24/10
I have an interview lined up with the one and only Tim Kasher, who is releasing a solo album on Saddle Creek this October titled The Game of Monogamy. It goes without saying that if you have any questions for him regarding this new album, Cursive or The Good Life, you should leave them in the replies and I will try my best to include them in the interview.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
09:56 AM on 08/24/10
ragingpepper65
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What's his favorite whiskey
10:24 AM on 08/24/10
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
Great, now I'm going to be spending my next two classes desperately thinking of questions.
10:48 AM on 08/24/10
chokeychicken
A long time ago..
User Info.
i honestly consider this guy one of the most talented lyricists out there.
10:54 AM on 08/24/10
AdamWASFearless
The Rational Voice of AP.net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ask him what inspired him to do a cover of an Eastern Youth song in Japanese. Also, what was Eastern Youth's reaction/feedback?
10:57 AM on 08/24/10
iamsoindie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have a few questions:

1. Is the Help Wanted Nights film ever going to see the light of day?
2. Does he have a favorite album that he has written? Many fans cite The Ugly Organ as their favorite album of his. Does he agree with them? Does he understand why The Ugly Organ struck such a nerve?
3. What's next? Is he going to make another Cursive or Good Life album?
4. Has he thought about playing around with electronic instrumentation more, as he did on Black Out and the song Stranger than Strangers?
5. When did he decide to begin his "solo" career? Were these songs ever going to be Cursive or Good Life songs? What were some of the motivations for going solo?
6. In "The Love of the Song" off of Lovers Need Lawyers, Tim seems disappointed by the reaction that many had to Black Out by The Good Life ("I started Beaten Path that way- and besides, it didn't get me very far"). Could he expand on this line? Has he often been discouraged in his musical career either by album sales, fan reactions or reactions by the critics?
7. Related partly to the last question, I read once that the album sales of Happy Hollow were perhaps a bit lower than expected, as it was the follow-up to the hugely successful The Ugly Organ. Were they what he personally expected? Were the sales for Mama better/worse?
8. Has he ever humored offers from other record labels? Would he ever leave Saddle Creek? With the music industry changing so dramatically, has he ever considered leaving record labels altogether and self-releasing his music?
9. Was he surprised by Letterman's enthusiastic reaction after their performance on the Late Show?
10. What have been some personal career highs so far?
11. Is Cursive ever going to release a DVD? Will there ever be another Saddle Creek DVD similar to Spend an Evening with Saddle Creek?

Well, those are a few I could think of off the top of my head. I would love to see some answers to some of these.

Thanks and good luck with the interview.
11:43 AM on 08/24/10
mycuban
hermits.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Just beg of him to NEVER stop making music and putting it out.
01:09 PM on 08/24/10
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
i honestly consider this guy one of the most talented lyricists out there.
Ditto. I can't wait to read this interview.
03:09 PM on 08/24/10
ihaveblink
User Info.
I have a few questions:

1. Is the Help Wanted Nights film ever going to see the light of day?
2. Does he have a favorite album that he has written? Many fans cite The Ugly Organ as their favorite album of his. Does he agree with them? Does he understand why The Ugly Organ struck such a nerve?
3. What's next? Is he going to make another Cursive or Good Life album?
4. Has he thought about playing around with electronic instrumentation more, as he did on Black Out and the song Stranger than Strangers?
5. When did he decide to begin his "solo" career? Were these songs ever going to be Cursive or Good Life songs? What were some of the motivations for going solo?
6. In "The Love of the Song" off of Lovers Need Lawyers, Tim seems disappointed by the reaction that many had to Black Out by The Good Life ("I started Beaten Path that way- and besides, it didn't get me very far"). Could he expand on this line? Has he often been discouraged in his musical career either by album sales, fan reactions or reactions by the critics?
7. Related partly to the last question, I read once that the album sales of Happy Hollow were perhaps a bit lower than expected, as it was the follow-up to the hugely successful The Ugly Organ. Were they what he personally expected? Were the sales for Mama better/worse?
8. Has he ever humored offers from other record labels? Would he ever leave Saddle Creek? With the music industry changing so dramatically, has he ever considered leaving record labels altogether and self-releasing his music?
9. Was he surprised by Letterman's enthusiastic reaction after their performance on the Late Show?
10. What have been some personal career highs so far?
11. Is Cursive ever going to release a DVD? Will there ever be another Saddle Creek DVD similar to Spend an Evening with Saddle Creek?

Well, those are a few I could think of off the top of my head. I would love to see some answers to some of these.

Thanks and good luck with the interview.

Took all my questions.....
04:07 PM on 08/24/10
Heroin Robot
User Info.
do you treat women like dirt?
04:30 PM on 08/24/10
Kapa73
User Info.
You're stranded on a desert island, but you get to take one band's* complete discography with you. Which band do you choose?

*If the band is still alive and producing music, your discography will continue to be updated.

Also, what are you reading?
08:13 PM on 08/24/10
GrapesIndigo
User Info.
Have you read Nietzsche?
10:00 PM on 08/24/10
drcroc2
User Info.
whats his fav Cursive album and why?

what was his fav collab and why?

when did he figure out he wanted to be a musician?

what visual art does he enjoy?

why does he hate playing in NYC?

does he watch sports?

what did he say to people who gave him shit for being an artist when he was growin up?

let me up?
10:36 AM on 08/27/10
NCSnyda
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How did you approach songwriting, do you go for more of a spur of a moment or do you work on a song over a period of time?

Any chance of touring near the Western end of Nebraska again like when you did with Cursive back in 2009?

Also I too would like to know if his production of Help Wanted Nights is ever going to be completed.
01:42 PM on 08/27/10
PoisonOak
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Will he ever collaborate with Conor Oberst again like he did in Slowdown Virginia?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos