Album Review

The Riot - Sitting Duck Syndrome Album Cover

The Riot - Sitting Duck Syndrome

Reviewed by
The Riot - Sitting Duck Syndrome
Record Label – Unsigned/Self-released
Release – January 26th, 2010
“I just wanna stay in this moment and listen to the radio play.”

This single line, taken from the track “Captain Murphy’s Law” can pretty much sum up my feelings of Sitting Duck Syndrome in its entirety. It’s catchy enough for quotable sing-a-longs, but relaxing enough to throw on the stereo when you want to mingle in your thoughts as well.

With a heavily noticeable influence from Jimmy Eat World, Pennsylvania’s The Riot has developed a solid collection of songs that may have best found their musical counterparts in the late 90’s and early 00’s. It’s a treasure to find current up-and-coming bands embracing such a straight forward take on rock music, and one can only hope that others will see the talent and dedication this band has to offer.

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical at first glance. A big cartoon-ish face takes up the majority of the album’s cover and with track titles like “Heart Attack Sandwich” and “Counting Sheep With A Sledgehammer,” I was expecting something a bit more…well, loud. Fortunately, The Riot has found that perfect niche between acoustic sing-a-longs and high-energy rock anthems.

The lead vocals of guitarist Ryan Henderson and backing vocals of bassist Brad Henderson blend harmoniously together, particularly on the tracks “This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things” and “Captain Murphy’s Law.”

On the first listen or two, I had to question my liking of the singer-songwriter style of the acoustic “Out West.” With wishes of starting over somewhere new, the song begins to grow on you after a while.

The more I listen, the more I wonder at the fact that this band is relatively unknown in the ever-expanding collection of young bands marketing their way into the ears of big name labels or at least into the hands of more music-hungry kids. With Sitting Duck Syndrome, The Riot brings hope to a genre that is in dire need of something real.

Recommended If You LikeJimmy Eat World; Greenbrier Lane; The Stereo

myspace.com/theriotpa
This review is a user submitted review from alienantidote. You can see all of alienantidote's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version