AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Scarlet Grey - Fancy Blood Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Scarlet Grey - Fancy Blood

Reviewed by: dangerofthought (08/25/10)
Scarlet Grey - Fancy Blood
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 1, 2010 (digital)

Who is Scarlet Grey?

Scarlet Grey is a quintuplet assembled from LA, Long Island, Sacramento and Aberdeen, WA. After their first album Black debuted in 2008, Scarlet Grey opened for the likes of Yellowcard, Rooney, and Saosin in the US and the UK. Recently, they toured with AFI, which helped them lift out of the “unknown” category. Fancy Blood, the band’s most recent release, dropped digitally in June and has been making waves in the music scene since. They are currently in the running for Airwalk’s Unsigned Hero Contest, along with AP.net fav’s I the Mighty and Empires.

Alright, enough with introduction. Lets get down to the nitty-gritty.

What’s Scarlet Grey have to offer me, the listener?

Scarlet Grey is out to make some of the most catchy, straight-forward rock tunes out there and they do it well. Listed among their influences is everything from Green Day, Elvis Costello, Metric, and the “King of Pop” himself, Michael Jackson. Like House of Heroes, Scarlet Grey likes to make rock tunes with epic melodies and gang vocals, something they do quite well.

Band members Ben Grey (Lead Vox/Guitar), Pete Emperador (Bass), Keith Cooper (Drums), and Cole Martin (Guitar) are all miked and all add some vocal parts at some point during the 6-song EP. Grey’s voice is perfect for Scarlet Grey’s mix of rock ‘n roll and pop-melodies, finding that promised land of gritty and shiny. Cooper’s drumming adds everything to this EP, fueling either the head-bobbing, the toe-tapping, or the shout-alongs. Martin and Emperador aren’t too shabby at what they do either.

EP opener “No Boys In The Ballroom” perfectly displays exactly what Scarlet Grey is about. The lyrics beg to be shouted and the you can’t help but feel the energy Martin and Cooper pour into the song. The EP’s title track begins with some whispered vocals from Grey as the verse quietly plays through then all of a sudden the chorus features those gang vocals we were talking about earlier, shouted by the whole band. The rest of the EP continues in similar fashion until the EP closer “The Sky & I”, one of my favorite tracks off the CD. Featuring guest vocals from buddy Davey Havok of AFI, this song features more great musicianship and lyrical quality. I can’t help but get excited in the second verse when the band shouts “shut off the beacons / cause we know whats out there”.

A reason why I like Scarlet Grey so much is their passion for making music they love to play. In the random interview offered to any band on AP.net, Grey makes this comment: “We listen to music made before 2006... We don't own any neon... We care about what we're doing... You won't find an 808 in any of our songs... We track our music live... We don't read Twilight... We didn't get neck tattoos at 19... We're nice and we're not bad for you.”

If this review peaked your interest at all, pick up Fancy Blood. Go out and support these small, unsigned bands like Scarlet Grey and help them keep making great music.

Recommended If You Likerock 'n roll; House of Heroes; catchy rock music

http://www.myspace.com/scarletgrey
http://www.twitter.com/benjamingrey
http://www.facebook.com/scarletgrey

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
08:39 AM on 08/29/10
Kid Amnesiac
User Info.
I saw them with AFI. They put on a really good show, surprisingly. The lead singer's vocals are really good live.
09:11 PM on 08/31/10
scarletgrey
User Info.
I saw them with AFI. They put on a really good show, surprisingly. The lead singer's vocals are really good live.
Thanks!!!!
06:41 AM on 09/12/10
si-zuhm
si-zuhm
User Info.
ahahahahaa :)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates