Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 104.
07:19 AM on 11/18/06
rockcore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the most frustrating part of this entire ordeal is that all of the reviews are either making this album sound like the biggest pile of shit on the planet or their sucking it's monster-sized whale penis...

where's the honesty? who really listened to the album? who's buddy-buddy with the band and who has some un-needed grudge against them?

i think these are the factors that are important when we're reading these reviews. the plain truth about this album is that even though there are some good points all in all it's very dissapointing. For anyone who knows anything about this band they would be just as disgusted as the rest of us by just the overall terrible sound of this record. Not that the songwriting is entirely bad...but the record sonically just sounds like shit. On their EP they had the songs 'The Ordinary Life' and 'Let's Call It A Night' (which is now re-titled 'Baby, You're My Bad Habit)...they re-did these songs and it's truly a shame that these new versions are the ways that these songs will be remembered. They just sound washed out and dull. Whoever mixed and mastered this thing must've been really forced to finish it quickly as it's clear that it is very poorly done. Anyone with an ear can agree with that. The instruments lack everything needed in a screamo/metal record...or whatever you want to call this thing.

and as far as the underoath comparisons...if you really want to say that they're not blatantly ripping off that band then take a second, put on this record to the 2nd track, and try to tell me that the breakdown at the end isn't an almost exact replica of the intro to UO's 'in reguards to myself'...the heavy off beat low-note riff into a high dissinant chord thing is almost identical. not saying that UO is the first band in history to write something like this...or even that FLL is the first band to mirror the style of another band...but this shit is just crossing the line between influence and out-right fucking musical plagiarism (if there is a thing...).

"let's just take the same riff, move it up a half-step, change a beat or two, and call it our own."

I say listen to the damn thing and make your own opinion...but for anyone to sit and say that this album is refreshing or anything is just bullshit. I've been a supporter of this band for a very long time...i loved the ep...but i hate this record.

yes, the reviews have often been polar opposites, which makes it confusing for people who have never heard the band before. why is it so hard to read a bad review, read a good review, keep both sides in mind, listen to the band's purevolume page, and then make your own decision?

i'll admit that i've hungout with this band a couple times. they're nice guys with no pretentions, and i like them for that. i may be a bit bias. fine, everyone has their own bias anyway.

a lot of their long-time fans have had the same complaints that you do. i'm not a long time fan, but i have heard the e.p. several times. the difference is just the difference you'd expect between an independently released, DIY ep and an indie record company released, first lp. the exact same thing happened with thursday. the album was produced by michael bimbaum, who also has done coheed & cambria, and straylight run. i'm not a fan of those bands, but thier production is quite good. sure parts of this album are flat, too slick, and slightly uninspired, but let's just take a minute to appreciate that this is a very admirable attempt at a first lp with many great moments as well. four letter lie deserves a fair listen and an open mind just for thier hard work and sheer potential.

first, the underoath they keep on being compared to is on 'they're only chasing safety', which 'in regards to myself' isn't on. but anyway, i decided to go and do just what you sugested. i get what you're saying, but i still only hear similarities. almost all blues is 12 bar. does that mean that everyone playing blues after 1940 is blatantly ripping off robert johnson and sonny boy williamson? no, it is a specific progession of sounds directly related to the definition of the genre. though screamo probably doesn't have the same staying power of blues, i think this is a similar case.

wow, that was a lot longer than i thought it would be. sorry guys.
08:42 AM on 11/18/06
redlightpledge
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know most people didn't like this album because of the whole sing/scream thing, but it's a nice album. No need to down it, the melodies are really good and the singing sounds nice. Good review.
08:57 AM on 11/18/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
I checked out their myspace to see if I could agree with this review.

They sound like a terrible underoath.

Edit: I shouldn't judge from myspace streams... but they sound like cartel meets underoath.
09:44 AM on 11/18/06
hopeforthebest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wow... one of the worst reviews i've ever read.... such a horrible album.. avoid at all costs

but look how many mediocore bands are listed in your favorite bands.
10:05 AM on 11/18/06
arf_mutha_arf
User Info.
i get paid $1000 per post because I have that much pull in the scene
10:34 AM on 11/18/06
almandude
BDGC For Life!
User Info.
Dude shuttup you list saves the day as one of your fav albums. Go dye your hair pink, this cd is beter than anything those douchebags have done.

Good response...and you're 21?
11:24 AM on 11/18/06
Chris Immunity
Immunity Clothing
User Info.
Alt Press compared Shaant of CIWWAF to Morrissey, how can you take them seriously?

i seriously lol'd
11:28 AM on 11/18/06
jamesbrownsgoin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i don't really dig the 4LL sound but I don't really dig many bands with that sound so my judgement doesn't belong here...but for that reply about this record being "beter" than anything saves the day has done is a total joke...even 4LL will tell you that they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for STD
11:39 AM on 11/18/06
CurtyB
gettin emo!
User Info.
Alt Press compared Shaant of CIWWAF to Morrissey, how can you take them seriously?

I'm not saying I do take them seriously...I'm saying that I understand why they put shitty bands that sell magazines on the cover even though I completely don't agree with it. I mean, I run a blog and would never compensate my values just to get a little more popular, but all they care about is more subscribers so I can see their reasoning.
12:02 PM on 11/18/06
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
Hey Pat- ive been posting more frequently then i ever have since ive been a member here. I just seem to get more and more annoyed with the people on here. I'm actually just sorry you (and others around AP.net) have to keep dealing with this shit day in and day out. Very well written review, and keep up the great work. I respect your opinion to its fullest. Just keep doing what you do.
12:21 PM on 11/18/06
arf_mutha_arf
User Info.
Hey Pat- ive been posting more frequently then i ever have since ive been a member here. I just seem to get more and more annoyed with the people on here. I'm actually just sorry you (and others around AP.net) have to keep dealing with this shit day in and day out. Very well written review, and keep up the great work. I respect your opinion to its fullest. Just keep doing what you do.

he could leave if he wanted to. no one's forcing him to do this.
12:28 PM on 11/18/06
overitsi22
User Info.
my opinion: i love the album, i love the band, and can overlook the fact that the newly recorded versions of "ordinary life" and "let's call it a night" sound rather no. i've seen a million more screamo/melodic hardcore/ whatever you want to call them bands that are WAY more generic than these guys. atleast they do use some technique in their riffs, and aren't heavily repetitive. basically, for some reason or another, the album hits me in a spot and i absolutely love it, generic, cookie cutter or not, i don't give a fuck. they did a great album in my opinion and i enjoy it.
i def. agree with this, i love the album, dont know why, i just really like, i have it in the car right now, and have been listening to it for about a week straight, it is really catchy, they may sound like other bands but whatever, it sounds good to me, and that is all i care about
12:29 PM on 11/18/06
mjdguitar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yes, the reviews have often been polar opposites, which makes it confusing for people who have never heard the band before. why is it so hard to read a bad review, read a good review, keep both sides in mind, listen to the band's purevolume page, and then make your own decision?

i'll admit that i've hungout with this band a couple times. they're nice guys with no pretentions, and i like them for that. i may be a bit bias. fine, everyone has their own bias anyway.

a lot of their long-time fans have had the same complaints that you do. i'm not a long time fan, but i have heard the e.p. several times. the difference is just the difference you'd expect between an independently released, DIY ep and an indie record company released, first lp. the exact same thing happened with thursday. the album was produced by michael bimbaum, who also has done coheed & cambria, and straylight run. i'm not a fan of those bands, but thier production is quite good. sure parts of this album are flat, too slick, and slightly uninspired, but let's just take a minute to appreciate that this is a very admirable attempt at a first lp with many great moments as well. four letter lie deserves a fair listen and an open mind just for thier hard work and sheer potential.

first, the underoath they keep on being compared to is on 'they're only chasing safety', which 'in regards to myself' isn't on. but anyway, i decided to go and do just what you sugested. i get what you're saying, but i still only hear similarities. almost all blues is 12 bar. does that mean that everyone playing blues after 1940 is blatantly ripping off robert johnson and sonny boy williamson? no, it is a specific progession of sounds directly related to the definition of the genre. though screamo probably doesn't have the same staying power of blues, i think this is a similar case.

wow, that was a lot longer than i thought it would be. sorry guys.

you raise some good points here...i'm glad people are actually taking the time to read these posts :)...

and no i'm not saying that everyone playing blues after the 40's is ripping off anyone...blues in itself is a genre...underoath is not a genre...they have a defined style, but they're not a genre. you can listen to an underoath record and know it's underoath...that is something that i believe all bands are striving to do. a lot of blues/jazz artists have the same quality...i mean you listen to Buddy Guy or BB King play their music you know it's them...they've taken different spins on the genre and have made it their own...there's a large difference between taking a genre and spinning it into your signature style and taking a signature style and attempting to make it your own.

i think we all as musicians (the musicians out there) have gone through this though...i'm guilty of it myself. as in being way into a record/band/sound and having it heavily influence your own creativeness...almost to the fact where it's ripping off that band's creativeness. this is when the cord needs to be pulled...you should be able to recognize that and change it however it needs to be changed...i feel that this is what happened with this record. i'm sure these guys had the new UO album on regular spin just as much as all of us did...and writing music that is greatly similar to it almost makes you feel like you're in that band...(if that makes any sense)...so you roll with it because it feels like you're doing something great...but you're not. again...just a thought.
02:35 PM on 11/18/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
hmmm, i might have to check this out.
02:45 PM on 11/18/06
indieman2005
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
did victory pay you to write a good review?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums