AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Dorena - 08.30.10

Dorena - 08.30.10

Interviewed by
Dorena - 08.30.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Dorena
dorenamusic.com
myspace.com/dorenamusic
twitter.com/dorenamusic
deepelm.com/dorena

1. How did you get your band name?
We got our name from a Latin saying: De Omnibus Rebus Et Nonnullis Aliis, meaning roughly “about everything and a little more”. The name of our new album also comes from that saying, but we shortened it to just “about everything and more” to make it sound better.

2. How did this band get started?
Myself (Kim, vox, guitar), Jonatan (drums) and Andreas (guitar) started out playing music in a band when we were 13 years old, in 2002. The band was named Falling Off, and we started out playing Blink 182 covers and later went on writing our own punk-rock songs together with a fourth member. I was then playing bass and singing for the band. Through the years the three of us continued playing music together, evolving into more of an emo-band in 2005. The fourth member and guitar player quit the band and Samuel started playing guitar for the band instead. The emo started progressing into a kind of blend between hardcore and post-rock in 2006, influenced by bands like Envy and SuisLa Lune. By then a fifth member, a singer/screamer had joined the band. He left pretty soon, and left us without anyone who could scream or growl. The post-rock had by now become more and more of a musical influence for the band, so the step wasn’t far for us to take into the genre. I started playing guitar and singing for the band, and a new bassplayer Simon joined us. We were all great friends and felt like we were a stable group who went together perfectly both as people and musicians. This was a rebirth for a band that had existed in different forms before, and we decided to change our name to Dorena and start over. Since then we have evolved constantly, and we have become better friends and a better band along the way.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
The ones I think have been a big influence that you can here a bit from in our music are: Sigur Ros, Lymbyc systym, The Postal Service, This will destroy you, Envy, Helios, Holy Fuck, Godspeed you! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Stars of the Lid and more. We have lots of different influences in music though, ranging between pop, classical, electronica, folk, hip hop, reggae, punk-rock, hardcore, the list could go on forever. I think the only kind of music we really don’t listen to is metal.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Personally, I’d say Blink 182. Just because I’ve watched videos of them being stupid for ages and they seem like so much fun. I’m not sure if our music would go that well together, though. If I were to be a little more realistic then maybe bands that put up a great live show in the same kind of genre, like Holy Fuck for instance. I think their crowd would enjoy our music and it would be so much fun to see their live show every night.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
We would definitely be a unicorn. Cute, fast and practical, it has it all.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We are not writing songs that people expect us to, just to fit into a certain sound or genre. We simply write the best songs we possibly can at the moment, and the sound has just come naturally. I can honestly say that this new album is what we feel is the sound of Dorena; hence the album title, but I can’t be sure what the next album will sound like. We are an exciting and captivating listen, and to find out what we will bring next is even more exciting.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Stars in the Ceiling," probably. It’s good for rocking out and, if played on rock band, real fun for the crowd to hear the vocalist trying to sing along with the Swedish lyrics. I think it would be pretty easy to play on the guitar, though.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We would first off thank the judges for accepting our bribes, and the bank for loaning us the money. Then we would thank the people who have believed in us and our music, like John at Deep Elm Records, our friend and booking agent Filip Mijatovic, and others who have helped us along the way.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Me getting fucked up on scotch in time for dinner with the promoters and their parents at their house in Poland, getting one day early to a venue just to sit backstage all day and drink beer and wrestle each other, the insane vacuum cleaner that almost killed us all, playing one of our most fun shows ever with high fever, urinating on yourself, potato chips with goulash flavor, being referred to as “epic post-rock heroes”…There are lots of memorable tour experiences!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Probably "Let us Live." You get this “moment” every time you play it, and people in the crowd always keep on humming on the melody after the song is done. It’s some catchy shit alright!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I would say the intro to TaleSpin, you know the Disney series with Baloo flying that big-ass airplane? Good times.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The power to hypnotize people, so they would think we were any good. That or the power to turn potatoes into potato chips just by looking at them.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
In a sense, yes. I mean, we are super excited that we keep moving in the right direction, and to get signed to Deep Elm is a huge deal for us. This has been a real boost for our confidence and we are really proud of ourselves. Although, it still is a long way to go to really “make it”. We still feel that we can go further and get bigger and better, and that’s good, because it keeps us motivated.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Most of our fan base consists of our friends so I don’t know if there really is anything they don’t know about us. That would be that one of us crapped his pants when he tried to squeeze out a fart when we were drinking beer after our show on this year’s Dragonfly Festival. I won’t say any names.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Saturdays. Does that count?

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Between working, studying, and playing in a band, there’s simply no time for anything, except drinking.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
We’re all really good with different kinds of transportation: Samuel knows how to wakeboard, Jonatan can skateboard, Andreas can drive a car, Simon is good at riding a bike, and I’m pretty good at walking.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests