Password

Album Review

Bun B - Trill O.G. Album Cover

Bun B - Trill O.G.

Reviewed by
Bun B - Trill O.G.
Record Label: Rap-A-Lot Records
Release Date: August 3, 2010
This review is a user submitted review from Ian Walker. You can see all of Ian Walker's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:49 AM on 08/31/10
E. Clectic
Quit these pretentious things.
User Info.
I'm curious to why this was reviewed/posted.
It has little crossover in terms of other music on the site, it's not an up-and-comer or "underground" type artist, in terms of rap albums it's not very high profile, all which could be ignored if it was a great album. But judging by the review, this is a very average album.
09:03 AM on 08/31/10
HometownHero
User Info.
It has little crossover in terms of other music on the site, it's not an up-and-comer or "underground" type artist, in terms of rap albums it's not very high profile, all which could be ignored if it was a great album. But judging by the review, this is a very average album.
Bun B is kinda high profile. He's been around awhile. And hip-hop gets posted on this site more often now. This site is not exclusive to one genre. But yeah the album is not that great. Has like 5 or 6 songs I would repeat. And that is mostly because of the features.
10:17 AM on 08/31/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
I'm certain Drew posted something about people who could specifically review rap albums, and I guess that led to Ian becoming staff. Anyone, feel free to correct me if no.
10:51 AM on 08/31/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't get into stuff like this. P.O.S., Mos Def, guys like that, sure, but ultra generic and self-obsessed lyrics like the ones on here and countless other forgettable hip hop records keep me from getting involved in that "scene." Gangsta's over and done, people, can we please get back to poets?
11:09 AM on 08/31/10
hellorocksounds
100 Miles and Runnin'
User Info.
If you're into hip hop culture, chances are you're aware of Bun-B and the things he's done to the game and what he represents.
Also, 5 Mics from the Source is a big deal for a hip hop album. Even though I personally don't think it was a 5 mic album, I can see why they would crown it that.
11:53 AM on 08/31/10
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I can't get into stuff like this. P.O.S., Mos Def, guys like that, sure, but ultra generic and self-obsessed lyrics like the ones on here and countless other forgettable hip hop records keep me from getting involved in that "scene." Gangsta's over and done, people, can we please get back to poets?
You obviously have never heard Mos Def then.
12:07 PM on 08/31/10
HometownHero
User Info.
If you listen to more rap then you won't have this problem. Complaining about something you are not all that involved in is pretty pointless.
12:58 PM on 08/31/10
mantipede
And the full moon seems to know me.
User Info.
Quote:
You obviously have never heard Mos Def then.

Wrong. Mos Def, while maybe thinking highly of himself, does not feel the need to talk about the material things he's received in his life, his cars or his chains. If anything, he's an extremely positive rapper that's all about doing stuff for yourself. Generic rap like the aforementioned is terrible and should be abolished. Every guest star on this Bun B album is guilty to some extent.

Quote:
If you listen to more rap then you won't have this problem. Complaining about something you are not all that involved in is pretty pointless.

And kidchino, saying 'listen to more rap' isn't right, either. For someone like cubine that might not listen to a lot probably only has stuff from the radio to go off of, to which he's right about: radio rap is the same general song over and over again. You should've said 'listen to different rap' or something like that.
04:01 PM on 08/31/10
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
User Info.
Wrong. Mos Def, while maybe thinking highly of himself, does not feel the need to talk about the material things he's received in his life, his cars or his chains. If anything, he's an extremely positive rapper that's all about doing stuff for yourself. Generic rap like the aforementioned is terrible and should be abolished. Every guest star on this Bun B album is guilty to some extent.

And kidchino, saying 'listen to more rap' isn't right, either. For someone like cubine that might not listen to a lot probably only has stuff from the radio to go off of, to which he's right about: radio rap is the same general song over and over again. You should've said 'listen to different rap' or something like that.
Mos Def's albums are all generic in their own way. His sound and flow might not be, but his approach to hip-hop is. He's a bland, boring lyricist who tries to make up for what he lacks with constant experimentation that almost never works. His "conscious" hip-hop always comes off as blatantly preachy and annoying ignorant. I prefer him as an actor, as he is one of the few rappers who actually can act.

That being said, Bun-B is a hip-hop icon, but that doesn't make this album five mic worthy alone. Hip-hop like this is what keeps the South alive, though. And this album is a true representation of what makes Dirty South hip-hop great. It's all good if people don't dig it, but it's just silly for anyone to call for the abolishment of some of the most important hip-hop around. There'll be 10 or 20 more Mos Def's, who, in himself, is a less interesting version of Q-Tip, but there's not gonna be a whole lot more Bun-B's. And Mos Def doesn't have an entire sub-genre on his back to carry.
09:12 PM on 08/31/10
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Don't tell me I need to listen to more "rap," I'm a huge fan of hip-hop. I just don't do the whole tech n9ne vibe. I'm not some kind of elitist who won't listen to anything outside of Talib Kweli, but I just prefer more wit behind the lyrics. Stuff like Outkast has plenty of lines pertaining to gangsta tropes like "bitches n hoes" or "poppin caps" or whatever but they've always got really creative ways of twisting those cliches around (plus they clearly don't take that stuff all that seriously).

On the subject of Mos: He aims a little higher than he's capable of sometimes but for the most part I feel like he's a lot more of an artist than typical "thug" rappers. He does get a little preachy sometimes but it usually doesn't get in the way. Plus, the instrumentals on almost everything Mos has ever done are excellent. The instrumentals have a lot to do with my enjoyment of a hip-hop record. Kanye's Late Registration is a great example of a record with solid beats that make up for sometimes lackluster rhymes (although in my opinion it's his best work).

I also wouldn't say I only have radio stuff to go off of. I've been listening to a lot of Lupe and Wale lately, they hardly ever get airtime. And guys like Sage Francis and P.O.S. are some of my all time faves and I've never heard them on the radio.
09:14 PM on 08/31/10
risexfall
upstate's finest
User Info.
I ONLY LIKE CONSCIOUS RAPPERS CAUSE THEY'RE THE KIND THE MEAN BLACK KIDS ON MY BUS DON'T LISTEN TO.

Real talk though, Bun B is a southern hip-hop legend and I think this album is deserving of at least an 85 but that's just my humble opinion.
09:36 PM on 08/31/10
bnizzle
User Info.
So odd how insanely genre-based this site really is. Open your minds kids.
Bun is a great artist and this is a respectable record at least.
Pop & Hip-Hop are the top selling genres in music the past years - take note.
10:09 PM on 08/31/10
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I ONLY LIKE CONSCIOUS RAPPERS CAUSE THEY'RE THE KIND THE MEAN BLACK KIDS ON MY BUS DON'T LISTEN TO.

Real talk though, Bun B is a southern hip-hop legend and I think this album is deserving of at least an 85 but that's just my humble opinion.
That's not my viewpoint at all but whatever.
05:22 AM on 09/01/10
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
User Info.
you dont know what youre talking about at all

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version