Password

Album Review

Someone Like You - So Much For Being Subtle Album Cover

Someone Like You - So Much For Being Subtle

Reviewed by
Someone Like You - So Much For Being Subtle
Record Label – Unsigned
Release – March 24th, 2010
If you happened to kill a couple hours waiting in line for this past summer’s Warped Tour, you may have found yourself serenaded with some ukulele tunes from a group of guys traveling cross-country to promote their new CD. Someone Like You would be that band. With infectious personalities and a drive to please, the Ohio-based group scattered their name and their record to concertgoers from one coast to the next.

So Much For Being Subtle is a diverse five-song collection covering the topics of smug revenge, unjust heartbreak, and, fittingly enough, the happy, excited notes of falling in love.

Opening with an almost Something Corporate-like piano intro on “Don’t Count On Me”, Someone Like You pen their own take on a breakup gone wrong:

“I’m waking up to a brand new day
I’m waking up to a brand new slap in the face
And all the things you said to me, now I know they mean nothing at all
I know this will be the end of me
But I don’t even want to see your face again
I really hope you die alone with no friends

So long, I’m gonna kick you when you’re down
I wanna be the one that doesn’t offer my hand when you drown
Take your chances on anybody else
Selling your soul to save yourself
You can never count on me”

Because, really, who doesn’t want to give themselves the upper hand after an experience that tears apart your trust in someone?

Amidst the songs of lover’s regret and overcoming of heartbreak, “Soundtrack To Our Summer” spins the story in the other direction, documenting the excited thump of the heart when heading out to spend summer nights with that person who’s caught your hand in theirs.

With catchy melodies accented by a touch of piano and the punch of gang vocals, So Much For Being Subtle does not disappoint. Sure to find a following in fans of Sing It Loud and Hit The Lights, Someone Like You will no doubt find their place right at home in the current pop-punk revival.

“What can I say I’m into you. Every single thing you do.” Keep at it, Someone Like You, because we certainly are into you.

Recommended If You LikeSing It Loud; The Ready Set; All Time Low; Hit The Lights

myspace.com/someonelikeyourocks
This review is a user submitted review from alienantidote. You can see all of alienantidote's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version