Password

Album Review

Fair To Midland - The Drawn and Quartered EP Album Cover

Fair To Midland - The Drawn and Quartered EP

Reviewed by
Fair To Midland - The Drawn and Quartered EP
Label: Universal/Serjikal Strike
Release Date: November 7, 2006

Mash-ups, those musical anomalies where some nerd with too much time on his hands comes up with the answer to the eternal question of what Coheed & Cambria’s “Delerium Trigger” would sound like if it were mixed with the backing chorus to Say Anything’s “Alive With The Glory of Love”. Yes, these are the questions that keep audiophiles up at night. Lucky enough for those nerds, Fair To Midland come mashed-up right out of the package. No splicing required.

On The Drawn and Quartered EP, Fair To Midland respond to the query of what Hoobastank’s crunching guitars on “Crawling In The Dark” would sound like if they were combined with the early space-rock work of Incubus and given a horrendous vocal affect akin to a mystical goat that has come upon an extensive Pink Floyd back catalogue in its travels from the barnyard. Am I speaking in superlative? A little, but I’m trying to convey more than anything else that FTM’s work here just doesn’t mesh.

Containing two demos and two live tracks, Drawn and Quartered is a study in exactly how far you can push the limits of radio rock into experimental territory until your average FM dial slave will give up on it and opt for something more safe. Original enough, though if this is where radio rock is going then I’d gladly welcome Fred Durst and his castrato rap-rock back with open arms.

Mutton-chops: “Kyla Cries Cologne”

Elements of style: Hoobastank, Incubus, Tool
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
11:37 AM on 11/19/06
newfoundnorcal
giving it a little bit more
User Info.
i haven't heard the ep. i have seen FTM live and they put on a really energetic and fun show, but i've only heard their recorded stuff on myspace and it's not that exciting. probably a fair review.
12:13 PM on 11/19/06
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
Quote:
Original enough, though if this is where radio rock is going then I’d gladly welcome Fred Durst and his castrato rap-rock back with open arms.

ah come on, that's a bit much
02:03 PM on 11/19/06
okide
User Info.
hahahah this band is horrible, i've seen them a few times when they have come through, they are all douches
03:02 PM on 11/19/06
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Originally Posted by Russ Hockenbury
On The Drawn and Quartered EP, Fair To Midland respond to the query of what Hoobastank’s crunching guitars on “Crawling In The Dark” would sound like if they were combined with the early space-rock work of Incubus and given a horrendous vocal affect akin to a mystical goat that has come upon an extensive Pink Floyd back catalogue in its travels from the barnyard.

That is one amazing description, Russ. Bravo brotha.
03:04 PM on 11/19/06
philthy58
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You kids kill me. Putting aside their occasional forays into nu-metal territory on Inter.Funda.Stifle, this band could potentially save mainstream rock radio. This EP is just a hold over until their full length with 2 re-recorded songs from I.F.S. My bet is that the full length will be fantastic. This band shares very little with both Incubus and Hoobastank and perhaps the most unjustified criticism in this review (if it can even be called that) is of Andrew's vocals. It is undeniable that he has a great voice. Stick to reviewing whiny, contrived mall punk.
05:19 PM on 11/19/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
where have you been russ? great review.
05:42 PM on 11/19/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
where have you been russ? great review.

I've still managed to review at least one disc a week over the past month, it just looks like I'm less productive because there are more staff writing more reviews. Ha, at least that's how I'm thinking of it.
06:03 PM on 11/19/06
GravedancerNYC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
right on philthy58!
07:49 PM on 11/19/06
newfoundnorcal
giving it a little bit more
User Info.
I.F.S. has that dance of the manatee song, right? that song is cool live, though i don't care for it recorded at all.
07:57 PM on 12/09/06
didyourecognize
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have seen fair to midland more than anyone on here has im sure. I have brought many a friend to a fair to midland show and everytime i take someone when we leave that person is hooked. you analogy of them sounding like incubus and hoobastank does not make any sense at all seeing how hoobastank is just a rip off of incubus. The vocals are some of the most intense vocals out today in music. im glad that you do enjoy fred durst and all sorts of crappy music. but Serj doesnt not just sign anyone to his label and would not be willing to work with such crappy music as you state it. When the album comes out in early 2007 i hope you will actually give it a good hard listen. The music, vocals, and the album will be amazing i promise!
05:25 PM on 03/07/07
SoundscapeMN
User Info.
their 1st proper full-length is due out in June..I am really looking forward to that. This band has become highly addictive to me.
12:56 AM on 09/14/07
inkblotch
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't know why they bother having you review this band you obviously have a small minded view on the world & music. Along with an obvious dislike for them. it's fine to not like something but the very fact you have to name drop & try to bring insult probably the only other decent bands you listen to, from the sound of it, is beyond me. I haven't heard that particular album by them. Inter.Funda.Stifle was very good & the new one has nice cleaned of versions of most of the stuff off of that. go back to y2k & go listen to limp bizkit & your emo bands & leave those that dare to be something other then run of the mill pre-done to death music alone. you obviously can't handle it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos