AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Carter Hulsey - A Note In Your Pocket Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.63
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.88
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 92%

Carter Hulsey - A Note In Your Pocket

Reviewed by: Dustin Harkins (09/03/10)
Carter Hulsey - A Note In Your Pocket
Record Label: Loveway Records
Release Date: June 22, 2010

Who?

It's hard not to sigh when you hear of an acoustic artist on a record label owned by Christofer Drew, and it's equally as hard to expect a positive outlook on said artist, but brace yourself. Carter Hulsey is far from the mediocrity that is the music scene he resides in. Residing in Joplin, Missouri, Hulsey has progressed from being just another kid with a guitar to earning him an opening slot on tour with NeverShoutNever, The Maine, and I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business, not to mention acquiring almost 3 million Myspace plays, making it seem like kids still use Myspace. Go figure.

How is it?

This acoustic musician brings something to the table not found with most of his friends in the industry: soul. It's hard not to feel the emotion in Hulsey's voice, and its presence doesn't detract from the overall structure and musicianship of the song, but consumes it and allows you to enter his thoughts through every instrument. A Note In Your Pocket is a highly country influenced album (real country, not radio pop country), which may sound like a bad thing to some, but trust me, this only adds to the addictive quality of the album. Some songs, like "Like A Bear" and "Black & Blue", keep a slow pace, portraying pure emotion while not sacrificing the quality of a good hook, while songs such as "If It Feels" (my personal favorite), "Good Time", and the title track are upbeat and just plain infectious.

It's hard to find flaws with Hulsey's musicianship, other than the fact that when it comes down to it, this has been done. While creating great tunes, there is nothing too versatile about A Note In Your Pocket, and Hulsey will have to work hard to stand out among his peers. However, there is no doubt about his potential, and I'll be damned if you hear this album and not one song is stuck in your head for the majority of the day.

Recommended If You LikeColby Domino; NeverShoutNever, but better; non-radio country music

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests