Password

Album Review

Terrible Things - Terrible Things Album Cover

Terrible Things - Terrible Things

Reviewed by
Terrible ThingsTerrible Things
Record Label: Universal Motown
Release Date: August 31, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
With the all-star triumvirate of Fred Mascherino (ex-Taking Back Sunday, The Color Fred), Andy Jackson (ex-Hot Rod Circuit, Death in the Park), and Josh Eppard (ex-Coheed and Cambria), it’s no wonder why Terrible Things has acquired such hype for their debut self-titled record. A loosely based concept record about fires throughout Mascherino’s hometown in Pennsylvania, Terrible Things is dark, pretentious, and colossal.

The record combines the strength of Mascherino-era Taking Back Sunday and recent work in his solo project The Color Fred with Jackson’s knack for an infectious hook backed by Eppard’s naturally massive drumming. Each artist adds his own contribution to Terrible Things, resulting in an enormous sounding record made for arenas.

Musically, the members hone in on their skills. The guitars balance the vocals delightfully, prevalent on the raucous “Revolution.” Likewise, the drums complement all aspects of the record as well, evident throughout “Not Alone.” Lyrically, Terrible Things is loosely based around the aforementioned fires, most ubiquitous on the soaring “Up At Night.”

Terrible Things are able to combine poignant softer tunes (“Been Here Before”) with straightforward addicting rock tunes (“Not Alone”). From the poppy piano “Conspiracy” to the vocal highlight “Wrap Me Up,” Mascherino and Jackson combine their talents and strengths into one cohesive, outstanding vocal performance throughout Terrible Things. “Lullaby” and later “Not Alone” are slightly reminiscent of early aggressive Taking Back Sunday while “Wrap Me Up” could fit on perfectly on Jackson’s Death in the Park. Title track “Terrible Things” starts of with Mascherino singing “I said you could count on me / but I wouldn’t hold that breath myself,” demonstrating the one-liner lyrics prevalent throughout the record. However, while the title track starts off highly, it soon becomes repetitive, thus being the only flaw on the record.

While the beautiful “Intro” began Terrible Things with a soft acoustic guitar and breathtaking violins before launching into the record, closer “The Arsonist’s Wife” highlights every aspect of Terrible Things into one ultimate finale. Jackson and Mascherino deliver exceptional vocals over their brilliant guitar play. Just when it seems “The Arsonist’s Wife” couldn’t end Terrible Things any better, the hidden track cues – a stripped down, acoustic track driven solely Mascherino full of pure emotion.

Living up to the hype and line-up, Terrible Things is one of the most cohesive pop-rock albums of the year. Each track takes a new spin, yet all three members perform wonderfully throughout the debut’s entirety. Terrible Things will easily please any fan of Taking Back Sunday and Death in the Park, as it’s the perfect combination of the best parts of each project.

Recommended If You LikeTaking Back Sunday’s Where You Want To Be; The Color Fred; Hot Rod Circuit; Death In The Park’s Death in the Park

Listen ToLullaby; Wrap Me Up; The Arsonist’s Wife

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Intro
2. Revolution
3. Up At Night
4. Lullaby
5. Terrible Things
6. Conspiracy
7. Wrap Me Up
8. Been Here Before
9. Not Alone
10. Hills of Birmingham
11. The Arsonist’s Wife

Terrible Things are:
Fred Mascherino – Vocals, Guitar
Andy Jackson – Vocals, Guitar
Josh Eppard – Drums

myspace.com/terriblethings

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
10:48 PM on 09/13/10
Hereformusic
Forest of Noise
User Info.
My only wish/hope is that next time there will be more Andy songs.
11:40 PM on 09/13/10
Echo Park
User Info.
The songs listed to listen to are the most noteworthy
02:35 AM on 09/14/10
p93
hopelessly yours, Alabama
User Info.
I really enjoy this album. Though I swear the intro riff to Little Devotional makes an appearance at the very end of Lullaby.
05:00 AM on 09/14/10
Echo Park
User Info.
I really enjoy this album. Though I swear the intro riff to Little Devotional makes an appearance at the very end of Lullaby.

Lolz I'm sure you stated that before, and yes you're right. Heck even Terrible Things sounds like a previous tbs song.

Is Can't Be True a bonus song or something?? It's amazing and a fitting closer
05:50 AM on 09/14/10
josh8282
I feel so L.M.N.O.P.
User Info.
Lolz I'm sure you stated that before, and yes you're right. Heck even Terrible Things sounds like a previous tbs song.

Is Can't Be True a bonus song or something?? It's amazing and a fitting closer
It's a hidden track.

I thought the Little Devotional riff was a nice throwback, Fred has a knack for writing catchy riffs so I have no problem if he reuses them from time to time haha.
06:21 AM on 09/14/10
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
the lyrics are usually the worst part about this album. wonder what'll come out of the sophmore
09:45 AM on 09/14/10
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Love this record, "Lullaby" and "Hills Of Birmingham" are my top two.
11:45 AM on 09/14/10
iseejosh
Registered Member
User Info.
i noticed the exact same thing, i thought i was crazy.
01:15 PM on 09/14/10
p93
hopelessly yours, Alabama
User Info.

Nah, I just noticed it while listening yesterday and wanted to see if anybody else heard it too. I thought it was pretty cool.
08:24 PM on 01/05/11
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I was a huge naysayer of this band and didn't get around to listening until now and I am actually surprised how good the album is

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos