Password

Album Review

Comeback Kid - Symptoms + Cures Album Cover

Comeback Kid - Symptoms + Cures

Reviewed by
Comeback Kid - Symptoms + Cures
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Confidence really is the key to success. If you don't believe in what you're doing, neither will those buying whatever you're selling -- and that can be said for nearly any medium or business property. When it comes to music specifically, confidence gives bands momentum which is parlayed to the audience who will then determine whether or not it's worth buying into. For Canadian hardcore band Comeback Kid, that concept has never been more apt than it is on their fourth full-length record Symptoms + Cures. The band's second go-around with vocalist Andrew Neufield, it's a tautly intense workout that is unlike any other record the band has conceived. Building upon the structure of what made Broadcasting... stand out and re-channelling the ferocity of Wake the Dead, it's a surefire contender for punk record of the year.

At forty minutes, it is Comeback Kid's longest record and honestly their most productive, not to mention their most intelligent. Like a conceptually-designed boxing match, each hit is so well coordinated, it knocks you flat all while reveling in its beautifully unjust angst (although, whether or not it's unjust is really in the hands of the victim, isn't it?). "Do Yourself a Favor" practically grabs you by the shoulders and shakes your bones loose in a very Wake the Dead-like fashion, as if to say, "We can kick your ass, now listen to how nice that makes us feel". Every minute just feels more comfortable, as if the band took the past three years to craft their swagger into a sound that would finally end the griping about "which singer is best," Neufield or Scott Wade.

Then again, it's a different approach now. This isn't loud, thoughtless and aggressive for aggressive's sake hardcore punk. It still electrocutes your soul - there's no argument there - it simply does it in a way that stems from more braintrust. "Pull Back the Reins" is a stampede of destruction that's similar to Poison the Well's best work, benefitting from some excellent production halfway through. The title track builds into a powerful burst of emotion from Neufield, who is given full disclosure to have at it ("The Concept Says," even with the gang vocals and guest spot). Yet the real triumph here is how etheral and illuminating this hardcore album sounds. Yes, I just used both etheral and illuminating in a review for a hardcore punk album (am I the first?).

From a purely musical standpoint, vocals removed, this is an extremely well-oiled machine constructed on basic elements, but guiding them each in a new way not many bands of their sort are doing or have done - at least to my knowledge. Weaving from rhythm-heavy build-ups ("G.M. Vincent and I") to straightforward riff-rage ("Magnet Pull"), it's a cosmic blend of one band's departure from their initial imprint and embarking on a similar effort with a new confidence in tow. Kyle Profeta is a damned beast on the kit, and Matt Keil dominates as a pitch-perfect Scottie Pippin to Profeta's Michael Jordan ("Get Alone" is eargasmic rhythm-based bliss on headphones).

"Because of All" practically sounds like it could be a bonafide rock hit, and "Crooked Floors" is classically pinpointed chaos, swirling with a newly-loosened swagger from both Neufield and axemen Jeremy Hiebert & Casey Hjelmberg, who flirt with several playful moments on both the quick cuts and extracted getaways from the "usual" style. The production might be a bit too fine-tuned for some tastes, but the raw in-your-face style would fail to deliver a similar effect. This isn't garden variety hardcore: it knocks your teeth out, yes... but it gives you time to pick them all up off the ground. All in all, you couldn't ask for a better rejuvenation from a hardcore band who was still recovering from a shift in power last time. Now that the pressure cooker is boiling over and the guys know what they can do, Symptoms + Cures looks to be a spectacular beginning for an exciting future.

Recommended if You LikeThis is Hell; Strike Anywhere; Evergreen Terrace; Cancer Bats
Choice Cuts"Pull Back the Reins," "The Concept Stays" and "Get Alone"

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace | Official Facebook | Official Twitter
PurchaseiTunes | Amazon MP3
This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
05:33 AM on 09/07/10
sonicfury
User Info.
Great review and great album, I can see it growing to become my favourite of theirs.
05:44 AM on 09/07/10
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Really love this album.
05:46 AM on 09/07/10
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
Amazing review, Symptoms + Cures is in my opinion, even better than Wake The Dead
07:03 AM on 09/07/10
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Amazing review, Symptoms + Cures is in my opinion, even better than Wake The Dead
This. I can't believe how great this album is.
07:13 AM on 09/07/10
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.
This album is awesome. If you like hardcore then this is the album to get this year.
07:53 AM on 09/07/10
Alien
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. This is up there with the best releases this year.
This album takes Broadcasting... and just really fine tunes it.
08:09 AM on 09/07/10
Uncle Beebo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is fantastic! I think it actually might be my favorite CBK album, and that is certainly saying something!
08:29 AM on 09/07/10
live.
Feenay! Fee hee hee hee heenay!
User Info.
BREAK THE SILENCE

x
09:31 AM on 09/07/10
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
its a good album, but not nearly as good as Wake The Dead. they will never top that album IMO. still happy to see them still around after all the problems they had
09:35 AM on 09/07/10
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Don't get me wrong, I like the album and I think CBK is somewhere near the front of the hardcore pack - but there is zero comparison in vocals. The band is permanently worse without Scott and that will NEVER change.
09:41 AM on 09/07/10
Spencer Control
Goddamn, I miss my dead friends
User Info.
I really liked the vocalist they had for Broadcasting, but he left, didn't he? I don't think I liked the new vocalist last time I heard, but I'll definitely give this a spin.
09:54 AM on 09/07/10
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
still think Wake the Dead is by far their best, but this album is awesome. Andrew sounds much more confident now, and "Do Yourself A Favor" and "Crooked Floors" is such an awesome 1-2 punch
10:13 AM on 09/07/10
PetitnaindesÎles
Kaneki-kun, BON APPÉTIT
User Info.
Definitely better than Broadcasting, Andrew has inproved a bit since his side-project (Sights+Sounds) and sounds better than before.
10:21 AM on 09/07/10
xRustyx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really liked the vocalist they had for Broadcasting, but he left, didn't he? I don't think I liked the new vocalist last time I heard, but I'll definitely give this a spin.
No, Andrew took over once Scott quit. He has been touring and recording on vocals since 2006, I believe. He was playing guitar before that.

This album is their best since Wake The Dead, blows Broadcasting away.

And I disagree that Scott was that much better than Andrew. Scott was good, but Andrew is strong.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos