Username
Password

09:26 PM on 07/14/12 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
Do I count? Feel free to be honest and say "no." Haha.

I'm drunk and listening to Samiam.
10:32 PM on 07/14/12 
User Info.
Pensive_Punk
Michigan
Female
When I first found this website, I thought the whole thing was about punk music, but this is like the only thread...how did a hip hop thread get so popular on a website called Absolute Punk??
04:39 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
When I first found this website, I thought the whole thing was about punk music, but this is like the only thread...how did a hip hop thread get so popular on a website called Absolute Punk??

Because it's just a name. Go figure.
04:52 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
shit stroll
Atlanta
Male - 26 Years Old
Do I count? Feel free to be honest and say "no." Haha.

I'm drunk and listening to Samiam.
Of course you do man. And Samiam sounds like a good choice for the type of mood I've been in as of late. I need to hunt for their disc. I lost most of my music awhile back and haven't gotten around to putting them back on.
10:47 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
thebigsleep00
Gay for Moleman
Male - 25 Years Old
It's not like there's a lot of punk here.
11:09 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Why do people put 'punk' and 'hip-hop' on alternate spectrum ends like they're totally different? They may be different in sound, but they're both accessable genres of music that poor, disenfranchised youths can emulate.
11:40 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
Baton Rouge, LA
Male
Why do people put 'punk' and 'hip-hop' on alternate spectrum ends like they're totally different? They may be different in sound, but they're both accessable genres of music that poor, disenfranchised youths can emulate.
Because they're completely different in sound. There are a lot of bluegrass songs about being poor and disenfranchised, yet nobody's saying that genre is anything like punk.
11:45 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Because they're completely different in sound. There are a lot of bluegrass songs about being poor and disenfranchised, yet nobody's saying that genre is anything like punk.

So? Bluegrass is not easy to pick up, so it completly defeats the point I was making. I know punk and hip-hop don't sound the same (or anywhere close to each other), I wasn't dropped on my head that much. I just don't understand (around here, especially) the idea that if you're into punk that hip-hop should be almost unlistenable to you - punk and hip-hop are easily emulated with little money & training, and tend to attract disenfranchised listeners, usually tending to be younger.

They're not as dissimilar as people around here paint them to be.
11:48 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
Baton Rouge, LA
Male
So? Bluegrass is not easy to pick up, so it completly defeats the point I was making. I know punk and hip-hop don't sound the same (or anywhere close to each other), I wasn't dropped on my head that much. I just don't understand (around here, especially) the idea that if you're into punk that hip-hop should be almost unlistenable to you - punk and hip-hop are easily emulated with little money & training, and tend to attract (current) disenfranchised listeners, usually tending to be younger.

They're not as dissimilar as people around here paint them to be.
I think it'd probably be a lot easier to start a punk band than to be a rapper or DJ and put out a mixtape. I might be biased based on the fact that I learned guitar with very little trouble but turntables and mixers just seem like a foreign language to me. Maybe it's pretty simple if you've spent most of your life listening to hip-hop.
11:51 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
thebigsleep00
Gay for Moleman
Male - 25 Years Old
I might be crazy, but I like punk AND hip hop.
11:52 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
shit stroll
Atlanta
Male - 26 Years Old
punk/hardcore and most hip hop stopped appealing to "poor, disenfranchised youths" along time ago.
11:53 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
I think it'd probably be a lot easier to start a punk band than to be a rapper or DJ and put out a mixtape. I might be biased based on the fact that I learned guitar with very little trouble but turntables and mixers just seem like a foreign language to me. Maybe it's pretty simple if you've spent most of your life listening to hip-hop.

Who needs a DJ or turntables? Kids can learn to rap over their friends beatboxing if they want. Beats for kids learning hip-hop like a decent amp or studio time would be for young kids in a punk band. Kids can still learn to rap with $0, kind of like how kids cab learn punk rock with just a shitty guitar & a friend who knows what a power chord is.

I'm just bored at work and ramblin'.
11:55 AM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
punk/hardcore and most hip hop stopped appealing to "poor, disenfranchised youths" along time ago.

Says who?
12:00 PM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
Baton Rouge, LA
Male
Who needs a DJ or turntables? Kids can learn to rap over their friends beatboxing if they want. Beats for kids learning hip-hop like a decent amp or studio time would be for young kids in a punk band. Kids can still learn to rap with $0, kind of like how kids cab learn punk rock with just a shitty guitar & a friend who knows what a power chord is.

I'm just bored at work and ramblin'.
Fair points.
12:16 PM on 07/15/12 
User Info.
shit stroll
Atlanta
Male - 26 Years Old
Observations going to shows/most sub culture people I know.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos