AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jump Back Jake - Call Me Your Man EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Jump Back Jake - Call Me Your Man EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (09/14/10)
Jump Back Jake - Call Me Your Man
Record Label: Ardent Music
Release Date: Sept. 14, 2010

Who?
Jump Back Jake is the side project of Francis and the Lights guitarist Jake Rabinbach. Call Me Your Man is his debut solo EP.

How is it?
Ass-kicking and terrific. Opener "Call Me Your Man," has pronounced drums, crips vocals and a freewheling breezy sentiment that hearkens back to old-school rock and roll. Nearly every passing second is infectious and invigorating, while Rabinbach wails about penning lines like "I'm sleeping in the next room, I'm not sure it smells like you, I hope you call me your man." On "If I Ever Get Back," he offers up hip-shaking, beer-swilling goodness in a back-to-basics, guitar-bass-drum romp in which he ruminates over God calling him on the phone. Full of soul, drenched in sweat and armed with armfuls of swagger, it's as potent as anything on the EP.

"Tara," surges forward with the same exuberance as Rabinbach sings "If it ever slows down baby and you're still around, I'm sure I can love you if you only let me, Tara." Penultimate cut "Rose-Colored Coffin," however is the disc's true apex. Boasting serious gutiar mettle, a bluesy landscape and confessional line such as, "I don't wanna talk to your mother dear, she never had a clue," it's as simple and unadorned as it can get, and never once does it hiccup or fall short. Introspective album closer, "Call Me Your Man (reprise0," features just Rabinbach and a guitar and the muted, understated ambiance of the song is too good to pass up. More often than not reprises can come across as self-indulgent or narcissistic. And nothing about "Call Me Your Man (reprise)" feels that way. In essence, it almost feels like a whole new composition.

In the end this is igh-quality, engaging musicianship brimming with potential, promise and enough old-school charm to make Eli Paperboy Reed blush. Yeah, it's that good.

Recommended If You Like The Rolling Stones, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears

Find Him Here Bandcamp

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests