AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Bayside - 11.28.06

Interviewed by: xearlynovemberx (11/28/06)
When can we expect the new CD?

Anthony: February 6th.

Has there been a difference in the way you approached writing the album after the accident?

Anthony: I don't think a difference really.

Jack: We're trying not to let the accident be a focal point in our lives. Its just something unfortunate
that happened and were trying to move on.

At any point did you feel like calling it quits?

Band: Nope.

What comes first for you guys, music or the lyrics?

Chris: Music.

Anthony: Music. We write the music first. We practice without any vocals at all in our studio. So we write all the songs and I go home and write lyrics to them.

How long does the writing process usually take?

Jack: A few months?

Nick: 2 months.

Anthony: Well, while we're on tour. Probably as soon as we finish this record and we go on tour I'll
probably start writing other songs. Ideas kind of start popping in for a year leading up to us going
into the studio for 2 months and kind of bearing down in there.

Is that the difference between when you wrote your first record and the newer records?

Anthony: Yeah, like this is the first time I think we've taken a bunch of time off. Like we didn't go on any tours, besides a European tour with Aiden for 3 weeks. But we've been making this record for like 3 months.

Have your influences changed from album to album?

Anthony: A little bit. I guess the biggest new influence for me is Switchfoot. As far as writing the
songs, like the band I've gotten into the most recently that I wasn't into before.

Nick: I don't think any of us really listen to too much music that sounds like what we write. We definitely have our different bands that we listen too. None of them sound like Bayside, I don't think.

Jack: Its kind of just personal with each member, like what they're listening to. That flavor will kind
of be present in their performance, but its not so much though that it's taking away from what Bayside is.

When can we expect to hear a new song?

Anthony: Probably soon.

Jack: I'd say January if I had to guess.

Anthony: Yeah, I'm getting antsy, so probably as soon as it's mixed and mastered.

Will there be any guest appearances on the new record?

Anthony: Kenny from The Starting Line is going to sing on a song, and probably Steve from Punchline.

Have you ever thought of putting out a live CD?

Anthony: It hasn't come up. I wouldn't be against it. We're pretty proud of the way we play live. Were definitely not afraid of anybody hearing the way we play live.

Nick: Wed probably try extra hard if we knew we were being recorded. We'd try to play a little better.

Anthony: We'd all sit down when we play.

Nick: I guess we're getting close to the point where our live show is long enough and probably something people would want to hear, even on a CD. We're going to be coming out with our 4th full length CD. Not many bands can say they have that. A live CD will be out eventually.

How did working with Josh Carterer come about? Was it your idea to cover Megan?

Anthony: Yeah, actually we've been covering Megan for a long time.

Jack: Since I've been in the band.

Anthony: We covered Megan for 3 or 4 years at shows and stuff. Whenever we played acoustic and in-stores and stuff like that. We would play it because its such a pretty song acoustic. And then we were making the acoustic record; we figured wed put it on. We recorded in Chicago so we asked Josh to come in and sing on the record.

How did the Bayside is a cult come about?

Jack: Our fan base is really fanatic. I think the people that get us; really, really get us, and its
like a fanatical devotion to our band for the people who really like our band. We always joked around how it was almost cult like. People who like Bayside were like we fucking love your band, we're going to give you a razor blade and were going to do all this weird stuff. It started off as kind of a joke, but its really not. We have really devoted fanatic fans that really do look at us as more then a band. I'm not waxing self importance but its like a religion to them. I'm not claiming that our band is anything like a religion or anything like that.

Nick: Maybe eventually if we're lucky.

Favorite part of being in a band?

Band: Touring.

What do you miss most when you're on the road?

Chris: Not much for me.

Anthony: Good Food.

Jack: Not eating at gas stations.

Anthony: My wife.

Nick: Yeah, definitely loved ones, and watching hockey every day for me.

Is Punchline your favorite band to tour with?

Jack: They're up there.

Anthony: They're definitely up there. What was the perfect tour we came up with?

Jack: Punchline, The Sleeping and I Am The Avalanche.

Anthony: Punchline, The Sleeping and I Am The Avalanche are the bands we want to do every tour with.

Future tour plans?

Anthony: Can we announce it? I guess we can't announce it yet. None.

Jack: We are working on it.

Nick: December we have a small holiday tour we're doing. Then after that, after the record comes out, we'll be on the road.

Anthony: On the 11th were starting the annual Christmas tour, our first annual Christmas tour. We're going to take out The Junior Varsity and The Loved Ones.

Jack: Not The Loved Ones, Melee and Bombers.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30.
01:46 PM on 11/28/06
Fuce
shaolin style
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Future tour plans?

"Anthony: Can we announce it? I guess we can't announce it yet. None."

haha, I'm excited for whatever it ends up being.
01:48 PM on 11/28/06
xearlynovemberx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Future tour plans?

"Anthony: Can we announce it? I guess we can't announce it yet. None."

haha, I'm excited for whatever it ends up being.

It's going to be a good one
02:08 PM on 11/28/06
IAmAmazing
I want to beLIEve
User Info.
Nice guest vocals, This actually sounds good to me now
02:11 PM on 11/28/06
akster
Gabe Bravo
User Info.
Hellz ya. Bayside on my bday :)

And Steve singing on one of their cd's again. Can't wait for this one.
03:14 PM on 11/28/06
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
i love bayside
03:40 PM on 11/28/06
loganmmm
Twelve Year Old, Preteen Mess.
User Info.
Oh, man! I am super stoked for those guest vocals!!!! Anthony did some vocals on 37 Everywhere, so it's pretty cool that Steve gets to sing on this next album.
And their perfect tour would almost be my perfect show! I would love for that tour to happen!
03:44 PM on 11/28/06
xearlynovemberx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh, man! I am super stoked for those guest vocals!!!! Anthony did some vocals on 37 Everywhere, so it's pretty cool that Steve gets to sing on this next album.
And their perfect tour would almost be my perfect show! I would love for that tour to happen!

Steve sang on they looked like strong hands i believe
04:12 PM on 11/28/06
DaveHallow
is APPLEcore
User Info.
Steve sang on they looked like strong hands i believe

Yep and Anthony lended his vocals to Punchline's Flashlight.

Lended? Lent.
04:20 PM on 11/28/06
HalfALife
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
reading this made my day.
i looooooove bayside.
feb 6th is going to be quite and amazing day. =]]
<3
04:33 PM on 11/28/06
DaveHallow
is APPLEcore
User Info.
Feb 6 means it will be released just under a year after the Acoustic CD/DVD. That's nifty, a release every year will keep me happy.
04:38 PM on 11/28/06
bloodyr0mance87
User Info.
i'm excited for the guest vocals on the new songs, especiallyy kenny from tsl. he's one of my favorite vocalists (as is anthony from bayside), and i'm interested to see what the two would sound like together.
05:08 PM on 11/28/06
doomcrs04
Train Rides Up North
User Info.
cant wait for the new cd and tour with the sleeping.
05:12 PM on 11/28/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Good stuff. I'm happy to hear that new stuff is on the way. I don't think I've ever been horribly dissappointed with a Bayside release and Sirens will ALWAYS be up there with my faves. Good job, Rob.
05:14 PM on 11/28/06
iheartallie
Margot
User Info.
i am so excited for this record and for the holiday tour and for whatever tour is next. if their dream tour comes true, i would maybe be the happiest girl on the planet. that would be absolutely perfect. i really want to interview this band. i always have questions i want to ask that no one ever asks them. ah well.
the beatz question kind of threw me off. i don't know if that answer was said that way so they wouldn't dwell on it because it's difficult to talk about, etc... but the answer doesn't sit well with me.
the cult question made my chest tight and my eyes sting. i know those dudes are aware of how much they mean to me and just how much i can't live without them. they are a huge part of the reason i am still living and breathing and standing on this planet. and i know they understand and live that as well.

i really can't put into words how excited/happy/impatient i am for this release.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums