AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

In The Audience - 09.15.10

Interviewed by
In The Audience - 09.15.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

In the Audience
http://www.myspace.com/intheaudience
http://weareallnicefriends.com

1. How did you get your band name?

A few years ago I had been working with a friend on a project and I came up with some subpar name with "audience" in it and she spun it back at me with "In the Audience." I didn't particularly care for it at the time, but a few years later it had grown on me and I started using it.

2. How did this band get started

I had written some songs that didn't quite fit with my old band and we had stopped practicing regularly. I recorded an EP by myself on a friend's laptop. I quietly released it and played a few shows with a ragtag crew that I tried to label as a band. I had shows every few months but things didn't click. A friend suggested I try out her boyfriend as a new drummer, and things started to click after a little while. We wrote an album as a two piece and collaborated with a bunch of other people in the studio. Our lineup solidified while we were in the studio and things have since really been picking up.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Land of Talk, Patrick Wolf, Broken Social Scene, Wilco, Elbow, Ween.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Kate Bush. Land of Talk, because they're legitimately nice and fun people to be around. Broken Social Scene, in hopes that I might get called up to play 5th guitar. Bob Dylan, Patrick Wolf, Wilco.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

A basset hound, because in my fantasy world I have overly droopy skin.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because I have won multiple Dragon Ball Z contests. If your heart is like Dragon Ball Z, I might be able to win you, too.

7. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Probably a bunch of people who don't understand how much I appreciate them.

8. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I'd have them let me in. And stop giving the same people opportunities if they don't have the skills and finesse to capitalize on the ones they're given. There's little growth for the industry with so few opportunities being spread.

9. Memorable tour experience?

Our first full-band show out of state was in Lowell, Massachusetts. When we arrived at the venue it looked like it belonged in the ghetto. We got into the place and discovered it's a beautiful petite gallery with huge art pieces on the walls. Everyone was very nice, and we learned not to be judgmental. Lessons are great.

10. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net has introduced me to a lot of bands that have become favorites. The site has also grown along with my personal tastes to outside music that's a part of the "scene." It's nice to have a home online that covers just about all of the music that I care about, not just a certain style.

11. What is your favorite song to play?

"Not Alone." It's usually the last song in our set and it's about 9 minutes long. It tends to get very intense and we usually get a chance to bring someone up on stage to play some additional percussion for the end of the song.

12. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

13. What music reminds you of your childhood?

The album "Dizzy Up the Girl" by Goo Goo Dolls. I won it at a raffle when I was 8 or 9 at a football game.

14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

The ability to gauge what type of handshake someone is going to do. Because every time I go in for a handshake, the other person tries to do something flashy and I bring them down by being unable to adapt.

15. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

Absolutely not. I thought we were on our way to "making it" when we signed a deal with an international label before we even entered the studio for the first time. We're from Portland, Maine, and no one has ever given us any more respect or attention for having that happen. We've learned to not assume that we've earned anything.

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I own 6 seasons of Degrassi: The Next Generation and around 25 Woody Allen movies. I'm a complicated boy.

17. What's your favorite holiday?

Easter. Life's all about the hunt.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Study languages.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Clearly none. I'm too loud to keep anything hidden.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests