Password

Album Review
Friday Night Fever - Party the Night Away EP Album Cover

Friday Night Fever - Party the Night Away EP

Reviewed by
Friday Night FeverParty the Night Away EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: September 14, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?

After releasing their 2009 debut EP, T.G.I.F., the poppy Friday Night Fever have returned with their follow-up EP, Party the Night Away.

How Is It?

Produced by Geoff Rockwell (Disco Curtis, Forever the Sickest Kids), Party the Night Away definitely has his fingerprints all of it. From the techno beats (the promiscuous opener “Sweet Talk”) to the incredibly dancy tracks (“Go Home and Get Some”), Friday Night Fever definitely took hints from Forever the Sickest Kids. Lyrically, this EP is nothing special, as most tracks discuss parties and girls over poppy beats. Conversely, these tracks are all catchy. Still, this EP has no real depth to it, a true hindrance to FNF entirely.

Both the mellow “I Got You” and “Melt” build up after a soft start. The former is upbeat while the latter is a smooth track, featuring high vocals over soft beats before building up to an upbeat chorus. These predictable tracks make this EP seem written for the sole purpose of creating catchy tunes and poppy party tunes. “Holy Moly” channels a darker Mayday Parade over heavy beats and reminisces early Panic! At The Disco vocally; while the vocals on this track are solid, the lyrics are simply dreadful. The acoustic closer “She Felt Like” exemplifies new talents of FNF as they utilize intricate piano play behind vocalist Luke Mitchell’s best vocals on the EP. This closer alone saves Party the Night Away, proving Friday Night Fever saved the best and only true standout track for last.

While yes, PTNA is infectious and upbeat, it is in no way a groundbreaking or by any means inventive EP. It lacks depth lyrically, the song structure lacks versatility, the music itself has become hackneyed, etc. Nonetheless, Party the Night Away will surely find many plays in parties throughout the year, getting FNF the reaction they most likely (or hopefully) expected.

Recommended If You LikeForever the Sickest Kids; a mediocre Panic! At The Disco’s A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Sweet Talk
2. I Got You
3. Go Home and Get Some
4. Melt
5. Get Up and Dance
6. Holy Moly
7. She Felt Like (Acoustic)

Friday Night Fever are:
Luke Mitchell – Vocals, Keys, Programming
Joe Beregszazi – Guitar, Vocals, Programming
Landon Myers – Drums

myspace.com/fnf

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
11:00 AM on 09/27/10
mrjgmll
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What is the whole essence of a POP song ???? Lyrics need to be catchy,,,it needs to be fun,,, doesn't require depth lyrics wise,,,, maybe pop isn't your favorite genre,,but the majority of listeners out their aren't looking for depth they just want to have FUN, DANCE, and Go Home and Get Some.....Get It!!!!! PTNA!!!! Goal accomplished!!!
02:02 PM on 09/27/10
gkbaby
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hahaha. I don't know who the hell reviews for absolute punk. When I saw this review in the 60's% I just had to check out bands that were reviewed highly. So I went to 10 other bands myspaces that were reviewed by AP.net and realized that the author 1. has an extreme bias to what time of music he/she listens to 2. doesn't like mainstream music and 3. either has dreads or plays a ukulele or is a big time scene-ster.

FNF's new EP shows so much maturity compared to most of the music in the scene...why? Because it's NOT "scene" music. You can tell that they are aiming for a more top 40 sound unlike most bands today stuck in the scene, who are striving to be as different and creative as possible, with crazy complicated beats and 100's of layers in each song. The Scene will only ever be as big as the scene...these bands will never pack arenas or write hits.

The majority of the bands with high ratings from the author are hardcore, just rock (no electronic), punk, or indie. It doesn't seem like the author likes too many bands with radio friendly music.

Go FNF...I can't wait to hear more stuff
02:16 PM on 09/27/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
What is the whole essence of a POP song ???? Lyrics need to be catchy,,,it needs to be fun,,, doesn't require depth lyrics wise,,,, maybe pop isn't your favorite genre,,but the majority of listeners out their aren't looking for depth they just want to have FUN, DANCE, and Go Home and Get Some.....Get It!!!!! PTNA!!!! Goal accomplished!!!

hahaha. I don't know who the hell reviews for absolute punk. When I saw this review in the 60's% I just had to check out bands that were reviewed highly. So I went to 10 other bands myspaces that were reviewed by AP.net and realized that the author 1. has an extreme bias to what time of music he/she listens to 2. doesn't like mainstream music and 3. either has dreads or plays a ukulele or is a big time scene-ster.

FNF's new EP shows so much maturity compared to most of the music in the scene...why? Because it's NOT "scene" music. You can tell that they are aiming for a more top 40 sound unlike most bands today stuck in the scene, who are striving to be as different and creative as possible, with crazy complicated beats and 100's of layers in each song. The Scene will only ever be as big as the scene...these bands will never pack arenas or write hits.

The majority of the bands with high ratings from the author are hardcore, just rock (no electronic), punk, or indie. It doesn't seem like the author likes too many bands with radio friendly music.

Go FNF...I can't wait to hear more stuff

In no means do I hate pop music or anything of the sort; I did enjoy this album for what it is - a dancy pop album. I stated that genuinely in my review. I did, however, score the record lower than I meant to; that said, I did portray various positivity throughout the review, as I did not simply write the record off.
08:31 PM on 09/27/10
gkbaby
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Do you realize you gave Castevet and Saddest Landscape 85+% and gave really polished radio friendly music (FNF), that is clearly more marketable and closer to stuff on top 40 charts a 70?

What are you listening for to determine such rating?

If you don't recall some of the biggest acts of all time had really good vocals, rather cheezy lyrics (ABOUT GIRLS) and REALLY simple music. In fact some people like MJ, king of pop, had the same beat throughout the entire track....in EVERY song. So obviously too much creativity is not a good thing as far as this industry is concerned. I'd like to show FNF and Saddest Landscape to Warner Bros, Atlantic, Columbia, etc... and see who they'd rank higher. Not that they would necessarily dig either, but I'm curious to see who'd get a higher rating....no offense to those other bands, because a lot of ppl dig weird music, but I'm just trying to make a point.
04:39 AM on 09/28/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Do you realize you gave Castevet and Saddest Landscape 85+% and gave really polished radio friendly music (FNF), that is clearly more marketable and closer to stuff on top 40 charts a 70?

What are you listening for to determine such rating?

If you don't recall some of the biggest acts of all time had really good vocals, rather cheezy lyrics (ABOUT GIRLS) and REALLY simple music. In fact some people like MJ, king of pop, had the same beat throughout the entire track....in EVERY song. So obviously too much creativity is not a good thing as far as this industry is concerned. I'd like to show FNF and Saddest Landscape to Warner Bros, Atlantic, Columbia, etc... and see who they'd rank higher. Not that they would necessarily dig either, but I'm curious to see who'd get a higher rating....no offense to those other bands, because a lot of ppl dig weird music, but I'm just trying to make a point.
...you clearly have me mistaken for someone else...Do you realize I did not review either Castevet or Saddest Landscape?...so...I have no idea what you're talking about, making all of your comments have absolutely no validity whatsoever.
04:08 PM on 10/21/10
ShipwreckHeart
latenightsingalongs.com
User Info.
not a bad ep
08:40 PM on 01/27/11
shreddinted
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Their drummer is for real the biggest shithead I've ever met.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos