AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Stupid News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Tool Singer Loves Generalizations

Posted by - 10:21 PM on 12/03/06
Apparently Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan thinks his fans are "primates" and "cretins." Even though it might be true, might want to keep that one to yourself, buddy.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 84
10:24 PM on 12/03/06
dubey
trillest
User Info.
hahaha that's awesome.
10:24 PM on 12/03/06
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
hes 42? i didnt know he was that old.
10:26 PM on 12/03/06
sweetmik
WNYX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well he gets a bunch of kids to wear shirts that say tool on them. He can't think to much of his fans. This makes me have more respect for him, though.
10:30 PM on 12/03/06
Mike Kraft
It'll get you drunk!
User Info.
hahahaha, did anyone else read that interview and think he was full of himself?
10:31 PM on 12/03/06
TakingBackNolan
I'm so dreamy
User Info.
:gay:
10:33 PM on 12/03/06
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.

nah. its too long. i can only assume that hes pretentious and an asshole.
10:36 PM on 12/03/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
Quote:
[You play] heavy music, and your record company, which has never owned an album anything like what you're doing, immediately markets you to the obvious stinky kid with the dreadlocks and the B.O. and the urine on his shoes because he's been sleeping in his own filth in a festival in the middle of the rain. They basically market right to that guy. And then you realize the only people showing up to your shows are those primates—these weird, cretin people… Then, let's say you're at a coffee shop, and you've got a friend sitting next to you, and you've been reading some Noam Chomsky, or you're reading The Onion, and you look over and see a bunch of kids [who] look like they could be made of cheese, because there are flies everywhere. And you go, "Hey, you want to go where they're going?" and everybody goes, "Fuck no." And they're wearing Tool shirts. Why would you want to go there? Why would anybody other than those kids wanna go see Tool if that's our representative in that area? So it ends up being a no-win situation. Of course, that's a completely extreme example.

Interesting that he came out and said that. Not going to lie .. it's the sort of thing you kind of expect a few artists in our scene to want to say every once in a while, don't you?
10:38 PM on 12/03/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.

Interesting that he came out and said that. Not going to lie .. it's the sort of thing you kind of expect a few artists in our scene to want to say every once in a while, don't you?
Haha, the exact quote that stuck out to me. I remember reading it and thinking, "What a fucking dick!" Then, I realized he is 100% true.
10:39 PM on 12/03/06
PaintTheTarget
Thrice Fanboy
User Info.
i give him props for it
10:39 PM on 12/03/06
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
Well he gets a bunch of kids to wear shirts that say tool on them. He can't think to much of his fans. This makes me have more respect for him, though.

Hahah, great point.
10:44 PM on 12/03/06
GirlyGirlGirlGi
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This just in, apparently Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz thinks his fans are "girls" and "14 years old." Even though it might be true, might want to keep that one to yourself, buddy.
10:46 PM on 12/03/06
HoboAdam
User Info.
he has always been out there. did anyone know that he sings on know your enemy by rage against the machine. i just found that out two weeks ago.
10:46 PM on 12/03/06
KidLightning
Esquire
User Info.
i got the exact opposite impression, it seems to me that he thinks everyone else is so full of him (for a lack of a better way to say that) and he thinks they just need to chill out and not take things so seriously.

all in all, great interview and i have a lot more respect for him now (and i had a good amount before). and i think that's the first interview i've ever read with him.
10:48 PM on 12/03/06
SkylineCollapse
A drink for the road, plz
User Info.
the funny thing is, even though he thinks that, all his fans will still idolize him.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos