AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Saddest Landscape, The - You Will Not Survive Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.63
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 94%

Saddest Landscape, The - You Will Not Survive

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (09/27/10)
Saddest Landscape, The - You Will Not Survive
Release Date: September 21, 2010
Record Label: Panic Records

I'm not really sure how to start this review. As I'm throwing around another worthless opener about how this album reminds me of this time when passion outweighed the pressure to sell out...blah, blah, blah. So, I'll spare you that broken record and just say how left field The Saddest Landscape's You Will Not Survive was upon first listen. It's as real as the dirt on the basement floor, or the beer stained carpet laid across home shows all around the United States. Even though this is the first full length release from the band in seven years, it feels perfectly placed in the set of releases in the post-hardcore scene this year - and one hell of a return.

In fact, as the little drum quirk opens up the album on "Declaring War On Nostalgia," it feels like you're standing in the room with about fifteen other people, just checking out the band for the first time. No ads. No press releases. No hype. Follow-up track "Torn, Broken, Beautiful" is visceral and the vocal delivery is almost psychotic.

Much like their direct comparison in City of Caterpillar, The Saddest Landscape begin their songs gradually, only to build tension and then explode into utter panic. The best example of this, "Imperfect But Ours," displays a solid mid-song climb that's capped by female harmonies. "The Shadows I Call Home," is frightening as you hear the lines "I'll never be okay" and "We build walls to feel less alone" repeated over and over again. "Eternity is Lost on the Dying" might be the album's standout moment. It's apocalyptic and haunts like a spooky sermon.

Many will take a spin of You Will Not Survive and feel it just rehashes the same sound the entire album. I'll meet you halfway on that and agree the album lends itself to a bit of redundancy, but how many pop-punk albums these days can you say the same about? There's no denying how absolutely heart on the sleeve this album is through and through. It's another throwback release for the books this year, and possibly one of the best in its genre right now.

Track Listing1. Declaring War on Nostalgia*
2. Torn, Broken, Beautiful
3. Eternity is Lost on the Dying*
4. Imperfect But Ours*
5. So Lightly Thrown
6. The Shadows I Call Home*
7. From All of Those...

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeCity of Caterpillar's City of Caterpillar; Pianos Become the Teeth's Old Pride; Majority Rule's Emergency Numbers

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
10:43 AM on 09/27/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Album rules hard. One of my favorites this year. Good review, Adam.
11:23 AM on 09/27/10
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Absolutely despise this genre for the most part (personal preference), but I listened to this album, and it totally blew me away. I have no idea what makes me enjoy it.
11:36 AM on 09/27/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Absolutely despise this genre for the most part (personal preference), but I listened to this album, and it totally blew me away. I have no idea what makes me enjoy it.

I'mma fight 'choo.
11:39 AM on 09/27/10
Cody Nelson
User Info.
Haha, honestly, I have no clue what my enjoyment of screamo/post-hardcore/whatever this is is based on. I'm sure two of those three RIYL's, I couldn't make it through the first song on the album. It's completely random chance.
11:41 AM on 09/27/10
mymusicismylife
User Info.
Haha, honestly, I have no clue what my enjoyment of screamo/post-hardcore/whatever this is is based on. I'm sure two of those three RIYL's, I couldn't make it through the first song on the album. It's completely random chance.

It's cool, I dig screamo a lot but I can't blame your dislike of it. I need some new skramz news, now that I think about it...
11:43 AM on 09/27/10
Cody Nelson
User Info.
It's cool, I dig screamo a lot but I can't blame your dislike of it. I need some new skramz news, now that I think about it...
I think all that matters is that I enjoyed the hell out of this, and will be buying it, if not only to annoy my roommates.
11:45 AM on 09/27/10
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
Still need to check it out! This band is so fucking good.
11:46 AM on 09/27/10
mymusicismylife
User Info.
I think all that matters is that I enjoyed the hell out of this, and will be buying it, if not only to annoy my roommates.

Solid. I got the vinyl. Good stuff.
12:36 PM on 09/27/10
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
I don't see the appeal of this record. I've given it a few spins and it just isn't that good.
01:25 PM on 09/27/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Pianos Become The Teeth in RIYL!

Definately want!!!!
02:55 PM on 09/27/10
Mochem
User Info.
So Lightly Thrown is my favorite track. Probably because I have listened to it so much on their split with Trophy Scars already.
03:02 PM on 09/27/10
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
I like this album but i do think their older stuff is better. Good, though.
03:54 PM on 09/27/10
Piieterr00
something scares me in this place.
User Info.
hmkay, ill have to check this out. short, but nice review.
04:29 PM on 09/27/10
youngmountain
http://littlewaves.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
7 songs... are they long?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music