AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Bring Me The Horizon - There Is A Hell... Album Cover

Bring Me The Horizon - There Is A Hell...

Reviewed by
Bring Me The HorizonThere Is A Hell Believe Me I’ve Seen It, There Is A Heaven Let’s Keep It A Secret
Release Date: October 5, 2010
Record Label: Epitaph
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Since the release of 2008’s Suicide Season, Bring Me The Horizon has been catapulted into the forefront of the modern metalcore scene, garnering many fans and even more haters. Whether you love them or despise them, both sides love to talk about this band, especially front man Oli Sykes, sometimes to the point where it overshadows the actual music. While Suicide Season featured some sick tracks, it disappointingly lacked an incredible amount of substance. The Sheffield, England, quintet definitely had the talent to create a behemoth of an album, so it was much to my delight that Bring Me The Horizon finally proves it on their third studio album, There Is A Hell Believe Me I’ve Seen It, There Is A Heaven Let’s Keep It A Secret.

After my initial listen, I was floored. Is this seriously the same band? Everything has improved – the songwriting, the compositions, and especially the lyrics. Debauchery was the general gist of Suicide Season, whereas some of the themes of There Is A Hell revolve around the consequences of that album. While Sykes lyrics remain as vague as ever, they’ve never been as vulnerable. Throughout the album, he struggles with his inner demons, thus the title. It immediately begins with the vicious six-and-a-half minute opener, “Crucify Me.” The beauty is in the contrast. From the changes in tempo to the vocal exchanges between Sykes and guest vocalist Lights, your attention never wanders off. It sets the entire tone of the album. The aggressive first single, “It Never Ends,” is another example. Aided by electrifying guitar riffs (courtesy of Lee Malia and Jona Weinhofen), strings, and a backing choir, Sykes exposes more of his past struggles.

Needless to say, this isn’t going to be Suicide Season Part 2, as the band continues to throw curves with the somber “Don’t Go.” It starts out hauntingly as strings and gentle guitar strums setting the mood before Sykes passionately screams, "God forgive me for all my sins!/God forgive for everything!” It's the most vulnerable song in the band's career, as Sykes turns in his best performance. Lights makes another appearance here, as she and Sykes share a fantastic call-and-return scene. She’s not the only guest vocalist who has substantial impact on a track. Josh Franceschi (of You Me At Six) delivers the emotional punch to “Fuck.” His line, “How can I say goodbye when I’ve hardly said hello?,” is the song’s core, as Sykes shares his frustration over the fact he hardly gets to spend any quality time with his girlfriend.

Bring Me The Horizon still brings the metal however, as tracks like “Anthem” and “Home Sweet Hole” take the formula from Suicide Season and add more substance to it. The rhythm section of bassist Matt Kean and drummer Matt Nicholls shine on the latter, as they provide the backbone to the verses. The group shouts of "Home sweet hole!" are bound to stick in your head for a while. “Alligator Blood” is a lesson in breakdowns and will incite the riot, while “Visions” lays down the catchiest chorus on the album. The guttural “Blacklist” sounds like it came from the “cut up” version of Suicide Season, and metal fans will have a blast with “Fox and The Wolf.” The final (and shortest) track on the album, it's a fireball of a closer. The Chariot’s Josh Scogin joins Sykes in this growlfest, which will result in numerous head injuries.

But what will impact fans (and non-fans) the most are tracks like “Blessed With A Curse.” The mood is set with the previous instrumental (“Memorial”), as constant pulsation, electronic drumming, and elegant chords lay the groundwork for this colossal number. I mentioned earlier that the album showcases the battle between Sykes and his inner demons, and you can hear it again here. The calm and chaotic collide here, with Sykes shredding his vocals over the verses, which lead into some epic sounding crescendos, showing off a completely different side of the band. The pinnacle of the album, this is another huge stride for Bring Me The Horizon.

Forget what you know about Bring Me The Horizon, as There Is A Hell Believe Me I’ve Seen It, There Is A Heaven Let’s Keep It A Secret will destroy any and all preconceived notions about the band. Sure there are some flaws on this record, but the aggression and passion that bleed from each song will stay with you, making this record instantly relatable. The sonic evolution of the group is remarkable, and the dark, introspective lyrics of Sykes will not only be cathartic for him, but for many. Not only will this album strengthen the Brits' presence in North America, but it will cement Bring Me The Horizon as one of the very best within the metal community.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Crucify Me (feat. Lights)
2. Anthem
3. It Never Ends
4. Fuck (feat. Josh Franceschi)
5. Don't Go (feat. Lights)
6. Home Sweet Hole
7. Alligator Blood
8. Visions
9. Blacklist
10. Memorial
11. Blessed With A Curse
12. Fox and the Wolf (feat. Josh Scogin)
Produced by: Fredrik Nordström

Bring Me The Horizon are:
Oli Sykes - lead vocals
Lee Malia - lead guitar
Jona Weinhofen - rhythm guitar, keyboards, vocals
Matt Kean - bass guitar
Matt Nicholls - drums, percussion

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

You can check out my other reviews here and/or follow me on Twitter.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 401
04:53 AM on 10/01/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
odds that the majority of posts in this thread will be bitching about the review score rather than discussing the actual album?
04:54 AM on 10/01/10
hellraiderz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've got high expectations for this album. Lookin' forward to picking this up
04:57 AM on 10/01/10
Chrisj182
User Info.
I think I agree, definitely their best work, and I didn't think they could beat Count Your Blessings.
05:04 AM on 10/01/10
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
Apart from Chelsea Smile, I never got into this band. The single It Never Ends made me change my mind. So I listened to this album from start to finish. And I was, to say the least, impressed. A beast of an album. The first five songs are killer, from the epic Crucify Me to the desperate Don't Go. There are songs that make me want to scream at the top my lungs (Anthem, It Never Ends, Fuck, Don't Go, Home Sweet Hole, Visions). And I agree with Blessed with a Curse being the pinnacle of the album. I never thought that I would enjoy a BMTH so much. Great review, speaks the truth.
05:08 AM on 10/01/10
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Album is not good. The end.
05:09 AM on 10/01/10
Bruycker
User Info.
Good review Drew.

This album is very good. Never liked them, just the outro from the song "Suicide Season". And they made more stuff like that. My opinion on this band has changed. And people who still enjoy some good Metalcore should see this as well. This is just a quality album. I have no problem to admit that.
05:13 AM on 10/01/10
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Album is not good. The end.
powerful argument
05:14 AM on 10/01/10
snu
I like to watch the NBA
User Info.
I think this is a good review. I think anyone who doesn't like this band has to at least admit they did take some big steps forward on this release.

I've been iffy on this band for a long time. I've had the opinion they are more style over substance, then I've also enjoyed a song or two, overall I think this album is a step in the right direction to make them a more memorable band over time.

I don't think they'll ever be a top favorite band for me just too many bands that I think are better. I'll give them credit for what they did here which is make the best album they have up to this point.
05:16 AM on 10/01/10
SomedayTheFire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't like it. No need for arguments, I'm not going to change your opinion and you're not going to change mine.
05:17 AM on 10/01/10
moneymaker.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band is WAY overrated, but from the few songs i heard, it does sound pretty good. hopefullly they put on a good performance when i go see august burns red with them
05:17 AM on 10/01/10
sonicfury
User Info.
I literally can't imagine this band making and album this good. I will be checking it out though and will prepare to be wrong.
05:18 AM on 10/01/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
odds that the majority of posts in this thread will be bitching about the review score rather than discussing the actual album?
That's the only important part, duh!
05:20 AM on 10/01/10
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I don't like it. No need for arguments, I'm not going to change your opinion and you're not going to change mine.
if everyone had that mindset, there would rarely be any discussion. it's not a matter of changing opinions.
05:21 AM on 10/01/10
SomedayTheFire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if everyone had that mindset, there would rarely be any discussion. it's not a matter of changing opinions.
I'm not in the mood to discuss this band at the present time. Maybe later on?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos