AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Nicole Simone - Nicole Simone EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Nicole Simone - Nicole Simone EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (10/01/10)
Nicole Simone - Nicole Simone EP
Record Label: Crystal Ship
Release Date: March 9, 2010

Who?
Nicole Simone is a young 20-something California singer-songwriter. This is her debut EP.

How is it?
Steamy. Like the neon sign of a strip club, the six songs on Nicole Simone's self-titled debut EP ooze and drip with hot-blooded lust. Whether or not that's the Californian's intention is anyone's guess but lines like "I wish I could play you," certainly do little to dispel that notion. Blessed with an airy, seductive warble, Simone sings gossamer jazz ditties about heartbreak, newfound romance and the six degrees between them.

Album opener "The Wedding Song," features Jason Schwartzmann on drums and banjo and sets the tone right away. Within the first 30 seconds one can't help but think of Jessica Rabbitt prancing across the stage in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. The aforementioned "Teach Me," is the disc's most accessible single and compresses piano, trumpet, altohorn, ukelele, mandolin and bass clarinet into one tightly wound should-be pop smash.

The introspective "Melt," draws on piano, trumpet, organ and a marxophone to concoct a steamy and sultry foray into seduction. The revisionist "Haunt You," is anchored in a rich vibraphone and a vibrant trumpet, while "You Got Me," is butressed by an orchestron. "Back For More," closes the disc with a straightforward, no-frills, air-tight jazz structure. When it's all said and done, Simone has put together one of the most playful and sensual EPs of any released in the last two years.

If this is just the beginning, hang on to your hats gentleman, this could be quite a wild ride.

EDIT: Though released in March, the EP did not arrive in the review desk until a couple months ago. Sorry for the lag.

Recommended If You Like Lana Mir, Tracy Thorn, David Lynch movies, Jessica Rabbit, sex

Find Her Here Myspace

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests