Password

Album Review

husband&wife - Proud Flesh Album Cover

husband&wife - Proud Flesh

Reviewed by
husband&wifeProud Flesh
Record Label: Crossroads of America Records
Release Date: October 26, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Much like last year’s Dark Dark Woods, husband&wife’s brand spanking new record Proud Flesh is quietly folky and introspective in a way that sorta slaps you in the face. For all its sonic subtleties, the lyrical content is rife with life-isms and blind searches for, you know, stuff we all search for. Although a bit louder than its predecessor, this is an album that once again finds husband&wife using their considerable strengths to create approachable music that can be enjoyable by aficionados and idiots alike. Proud Flesh is slathered in nods to rock of decades past (the bluesy riff in “6 Little Indians” or the neo-electric-Neil Young of “They Should Give You Medicine”). And hey, I’m aware that those may not be very good descriptions, but these songs have the habit of putting me in a trance. A trance that I’ve found to be pretty hard to write about.

But write I shall! Because if I don’t, you wouldn’t know that there is music out there that can cause weird writer’s block trances. It’s like zoning out while honing in. Or something. And perhaps no song on Proud Flesh better creates this topsy-turvy condition than awesomely-titled “Extendo Jam.” As you’ve probably guessed, it is indeed a jam. For nearly 3 minutes, a grungy, driving instrumental section creates visions of long-haired college students painting pretty pictures of imaginary stuff. Then as we’re like, “Wait, whaaa,” the vocals enter in all their echoic, distorted beauty, and we have even more goodness to juggle. It’s not your normal college/country rock song, and “Extendo Jam” rules above Proud Flesh with dashes of shock and one heck of a buoyant bass line.

Single “Proud Flesh,” I think, has made a minor splash in minor indie rock circles. It employs perhaps the band’s most melodic and pop-rock-ish stanzas. But “Proud Flesh” doesn’t feel like anything out of the ordinary for the band; they are not grasping for fame straws. Because even with songs like "Proud Flesh," the album is jam-packed with off-kilter mega-solos like the one found in “Low Profile.” Or there’s the epically pleasing closer “Class War,” which features another solo, albeit this one is much more rock n’ roll. But the song’s true treat is a xylophone solo that I can’t help but repeat over and over. Maybe it sounds like an orchestra written on a haystack? I don’t know. I don’t know a lot, clearly. Yet I’m fairly certain of Proud Flesh’s superiority to Dark Dark Woods. Things are still inquisitive, but not quite as sad. There’s more noise to drown out our uncertainty (I mean, “I Have Been Made Huge” could even be called dissonant). And when husband&wife decide to douse our ears in candy-coated melodies, it’s not a big leap at all. It’s Sunday night rock n’ roll, and I’m beginning to see that Sunday is quite alright.

Recommended If You Like: Mason Proper, Alaska & Me, The Hold Steady (for its midwestern-ness)

YoYowww.myspace.com/husbandwife

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
05:30 PM on 10/04/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I'm a huge fan of this. This is probably mid 80s for me. But is that really a shock? ha.
12:55 AM on 10/05/10
Frakattack
Hell, it's about thyme.
User Info.
Their website listed the release date as 10/26, so now I'm just confused . That said, I really loved the single/title track, so I'm really looking foward to hearing the entire album.
09:30 AM on 10/05/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Their website listed the release date as 10/26, so now I'm just confused . That said, I really loved the single/title track, so I'm really looking foward to hearing the entire album.
yeah i'm not sure. it says the 21st on the label website
10:21 PM on 10/05/10
VanTree
swoon.
User Info.
Going to see them this saturday, even more excited after reading this.
11:00 PM on 10/05/10
apresnuledeluge
Never too fat to fly
User Info.
Need this.
12:30 AM on 10/06/10
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
I loved dark, dark woods so I'm pumped to hear this. Great review Blake. Got me excited.
01:18 AM on 10/06/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I really, really ought to check this out. Dark, Dark Wood was always on my list of albums to buy if the review here but I never got round to it. Sounds like I'd enjoy this one too.
01:34 AM on 10/06/10
spansen
and then what happens?
User Info.
i love these guys. i'm eagerly awaiting my cd in the mail.. preordered it as soon as the option was made available.

also, class war was first recorded in 2007 and appeared on a compilation disc.. ha
12:42 PM on 10/06/10
archerboy
User Info.
Absolute punk was actually the one that got me to hear about these guys, and they are amazing; I'm stoked :D
11:20 AM on 10/07/10
WillRose
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The release date is the 26th but the release show is here in bloomington on the 15th! Also that solo in class war is a xylophone...
01:45 PM on 10/07/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
The release date is the 26th but the release show is here in bloomington on the 15th! Also that solo in class war is a xylophone...
ha whoops, both things have been fixed.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version