AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Weakness, The - Lovers and Liars Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Weakness, The - Lovers and Liars

Reviewed by: alienantidote (10/07/10)
The Weakness - Lovers and Liars
Record Label – Unsigned
Release – June 1st, 2010

It’s been about a month in the making, trying to dig for the right words to describe The Weakness’s Lovers and Liars. This six-track EP from the New York quartet manages to encompass two equally compelling ends of the rock spectrum, swapping the comforting pop-rock of tracks like “Blackout” and “Mean To Me” for the heavier, wait-am-I-still-listening-to-the-same-band? songs “Reason #55” and “Time Bomb.”

I’ll admit, my heart was a bit saddened to find that “Time Bomb” did not in fact turn out to be a Rancid cover as I had initially hoped. In fact, it was nearly the opposite of what I’d imagined it would be – guitars winding notably through verse and chorus and back again, underlying and perhaps even overtaking the heavy-handed drums and occasional vocal swaps. The Weakness has the oddest knack for transitioning so entirely from the straight-up pop-punk of their opening tracks to a blatant proclamation of rock led by vocals I’d relate to that of Autopilot Off or Allister; perhaps even both in this strange hybrid of band.

If you’ve found yourself a bit quenched for some good ol’-fashioned pop-rock, The Weakness has plenty of that to dish out for your likes as well. “Blackout” cries out for sing-a-longs, clap-a-longs, and any other ‘a-longs’ you can muster up in the process. The choruses are riddled with the metallic ting of hi-hats and you’ll be singing about blacking out with your friends for the next couple of days if you get caught on this particular track for too long.

Lovers and Liars could easily split the listener down the middle with two styles variable enough that you may be surprised such differences are compiled within the same release. The EP’s closer, “Tied Down,” finally finds that necessary balance of definite rock with just enough of a melody to keep you pressing the rewind button to maintain the lyrics and beat fresh in your ears. “I wanna get away, but I’m tied down. I’m sick of being stuck in a tired town. I’m kissing this city goodbye now. I don’t wanna stick around,” the chorus vocals will swirl and repeat till the EP hits its finish. It’s just enough of a tangy bite to leave you thinking that perhaps another listen through is just what you need.

Recommended If You LikeAllister; Autopilot Off; The SpacePimps; Halifax

myspace.com/theweaknessofficial

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
03:21 PM on 10/17/10
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing this, these guys need more exposure.. they have so much potential
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests