AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Boys Night Out- Trainwreck Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.81
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.25
Production 9.13
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Boys Night Out- Trainwreck

Reviewed by: AaRoNpUnK (10/09/10)
Boys Night Out-Trainwreck
Record label: Ferret
Release date: February 6, 2007

Once in a long time, a certain band comes along and creates an album that, while underrated, it defines a genre and revolutionizes the style. Boys Night Out did just that with their sophomore effort, Trainwreck. Garnering a rabid fanbase after their debut album, Make Yourself Sick, BNO toured nonstop all over the nation sporting their brand of guitar driven, emo-tinged, pop-punk sound. They were one of the rare bands that were able to mix very dark lyrics with extremely happy-go-lucky melodies. On Trainwreck, they decided to change up their whole formula; as Trainwreck is a concept album of a catatonic man (the "Patient") slowly losing his sanity after accidentally murdering his wife while they were both asleep. Thus, his story is told IN ORDER (something not all concept records have really been faithful for).

The album kicks off with "Introducing," an ambient intstrumental with the Patient's doctor describing the whole scenario. As the song ends the whole band comes in with Connor Lovats-Fraser's voice soaring over a beautiful guitar melody declaring "The lines I wear around my wrists are there to prove that I exist." This lyric and music underneath it is basically the aura the whole record is based off of and has those lyircs and others always resurfacing throughout the album. The following track, "Dreaming," is pure BNO: a driving drum and rhythm section, progressive guitars and Lovat-Fraser's voice and biting lyrics. This song chronicles the the patient's brutal act. It acts as an excellent kick-off. "Waking" follows but uses a more subdued feel and features an electronic keyboard in the back courtesy of temporary member, Kara Dupuy. It also shows BNO's occasional eccentric music style. This song discuses the patient discovering his act and turning himself in after "Christening the walls with her perfume."

"Sentencing" is a more cheery kind of tune and contains many a gang vocal from the whole band. While it's not as strong as the other songs, it's still got it's place on the record as it discusses the doctor's decision to hospitalize the patient instead of lock him up. This song is proceeded by "Medicating," which, with it's ultra-catchy chorus, happy atmosphere with a dark undertone, and driving tempo, is unmistakingly BNO and one of the strongest songs. Its the patient's plea to be released and he eventually is by his doctor. This song is followed by the darkest yet most touching song on the album, "Purging." This is the heaviest song in the line-up as it features tortured screams from Lovat-Fraser and guitarist Jeff Lewis and discordant music which starts signifying the patient's madness. This song talks about his first day back and how he cuts off his arms with a buzz saw. He goes back to the hospital. "Relapsing" is the first song that showcases Dupuy's singing. In this subdued, beautiful ballad, Dupuy represents the dead wife talking in the patient's mind. He explains to the doctor that he's started hearing/writing a "song" in his head. We learn as the album goes along that the "song" is the patient's way of dealing with his guilt. The following song, "Recovering," is a lament on the patients heavy drug and booze abuse to keep the "song" alive in his head therefore keeping his wife alive. It's ending displays a bad omen for the next song.

The next song, "Composing," is one of the poppiest and catchiest song on the album that follows suit with "Medicating" and "Sentencing." However, it's as dark as "Purging" because in the song the patient invites his friends and family to his house where he poisons them all and stashes them in his house. To him, he's keeping the song alive and everyone is joining "through death." This song is followed by "Disintegrating," the most hopeful song on the album. This song features a double time beat that crashes and goes into a swooping chorus where the patient talks about his "song" demands an ending. His wife (Dupuy) tells him in order for that to happen, the Doctor has to die. This song sets up the last two songs, the pre-closer "Healing" is a very urgent, passionate song that showcases what the band can do when they combine the best of their talents. In this song, the patient has called the doctor to take him to the hospital. Although, we know what his real reason is. However, due to his weak state, he collapses in the house. Thus, brings us to the closer.

"Dying" is the end. This song has the by far, best musical talent being displayed by the band. It has the band playing a half time tempo and and very dark melody and eventually has the doctor talking about him looking for the patient in the house. An epic solo by Davis ensues and soon, the patient sings his last words which are three resurfaced lyrics (one of which being the "lines around my wrist..." segment). The three voices overlap until the beautifully slow music that is brought back from "Introducing" stops and Davis' ambient guitar line goes acoustic and the patient weakly breathes out for the last time " We were inseparable," finishing the record.

This album has flaws. Yet, those flaws are well hidden by BNO's masterful lyrics and music. Sure they've had many other excellent releases but this is by far their opus. This album is one of those records that stays in your collection no matter what comes along. This is an album I'd recommend to any music lover. A true masterpiece.

Recommended If You Like: Armor for Sleep's What to Do When You Are Dead, The Early November's The Mother, the Mechanic, and the Path and As Cities Burn's Come Now Sleep

Download: eh the whole album NOW

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
10:16 AM on 10/12/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
This is one of the best post-hardcore albums ever released. A lot of good memories with this one. I didn't read the entire thing, but you do have a few typos in there. Cheers anyway for reviewing.
10:22 AM on 10/12/10
tonighttonight0
Rode the El Niņo
User Info.
Love this album. I can see this album being revered by a much wider audience way down the road.
11:22 AM on 10/12/10
NeonBlonde407
Id rather be drinking a Vernors!
User Info.
ive owned this for a while, and for some reason never listened to it. dont really like song by song reviews, but what ya going to do?
12:57 PM on 10/12/10
White
A masochist cannibal dining alone.
User Info.
Greatest album ever. <3 If my dick where small enough to fit in that hole that CDs have, I'd fuck it. But I can't, so the most I can do is finger it. Which I'm gonna do. Now.
01:40 PM on 10/12/10
cwhit412
User Info.
I love this album. So much. Glad there's finally a review on it.
09:12 PM on 10/12/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
ive owned this for a while, and for some reason never listened to it. dont really like song by song reviews, but what ya going to do?
Same.
But this review, along with everyone else's word of mouth, makes me want to change that.
07:07 AM on 10/13/10
AaRoNpUnK
fuck the thrill of the chase.
User Info.
thanks for the good feedback guys :) im a slightly newer critic on this site and this is my third review so its a tad flawed (typos etc) but i love reviewing and this album, like, changed my life! so i appreciate everyones positive comments, although im open to constructive criticism. be on the lookout for more of my reviews already posted or in the future. THANKS!
-aaron b
10:11 AM on 10/13/10
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
Choices in vocabulary seem kind of strange at some points, and some grammar in this is just wrong. Editing this a little bit would help the review a whole lot.

Otherwise, good review.
01:03 PM on 10/13/10
White
User Info.
Can I say one thing about this album, regarding the story?

Everything that happens in Composing doesn't actually happen. It's all in the patient's head - where the song is, where he spends all his time. Nobody actually gets poisoned with paint thinner. (Jeff Davis himself told me that.)

There are still bits and pieces of this album that confuse me. Like in Healing/Dying when the patient invites the doctor over...where the fuck exactly is the patient? If I recall, the patient mentions inviting him to his home, but there was absolutely no way he was released a second time. But the doctor confirms in Dying that he was indeed released. Which is odd to say the least.

And I've got plenty other squabbles to take up, but I'll spare everyone.

PS. I totally fingered this CD last night. It was great fun. <3
04:59 PM on 10/13/10
AaRoNpUnK
User Info.
no offense and I'm not getting mad but honestly, it doesn't really matter that much man. As long as I get my point across. Thank you anyway though

Choices in vocabulary seem kind of strange at some points, and some grammar in this is just wrong. Editing this a little bit would help the review a whole lot.

Otherwise, good review.
05:00 PM on 10/13/10
AaRoNpUnK
User Info.
no go ahead, I like learning more about it.

Can I say one thing about this album, regarding the story?

Everything that happens in Composing doesn't actually happen. It's all in the patient's head - where the song is, where he spends all his time. Nobody actually gets poisoned with paint thinner. (Jeff Davis himself told me that.)

There are still bits and pieces of this album that confuse me. Like in Healing/Dying when the patient invites the doctor over...where the fuck exactly is the patient? If I recall, the patient mentions inviting him to his home, but there was absolutely no way he was released a second time. But the doctor confirms in Dying that he was indeed released. Which is odd to say the least.

And I've got plenty other squabbles to take up, but I'll spare everyone.

PS. I totally fingered this CD last night. It was great fun. <3
02:11 PM on 10/14/10
White
User Info.
no go ahead, I like learning more about it.
Now that I think about it, that's really it. I just don't get why the album never mentioned the patient being released when it happened. Not like it really matters though since we find out later. But still.

Meh.

This thing needs to be made into a movie or broadway musical.
05:24 PM on 10/14/10
AaRoNpUnK
User Info.
i know right? in my eyes its truly a work of musical and conceptual art.

Now that I think about it, that's really it. I just don't get why the album never mentioned the patient being released when it happened. Not like it really matters though since we find out later. But still.

Meh.

This thing needs to be made into a movie or broadway musical.
03:01 PM on 10/15/10
jess' man
User Info.
Greatest album ever. <3 If my dick where small enough to fit in that hole that CDs have, I'd fuck it. But I can't, so the most I can do is finger it. Which I'm gonna do. Now.

that was really funny. (not sarcastic)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News