Album Review

Duck Duck Goose - Off Yourself EP Album Cover

Duck Duck Goose - Off Yourself EP

Reviewed by
Duck Duck Goose - Off Yourself EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: September 14, 2010
Who?

Duck Duck Goose are a five-piece band from Barstow, California. Their sound, well, not many people know what genre best represents them, but experimental/screamo seems to be fitting for this particular EP. Off Yourself is their latest effot, an 8(-ish) track EP that packs one hell of a punch and an almighty kick to the crown jewels.

How is it?

It is a fantastic EP. Fans of noisy unorthodox bands like Heavy Heavy Low Low and The Jonbenet will enjoy this EP from start to finish. The EP begins with a slow introduction song ''Documenting Disappointment,'' informing the listener about a possible relationship gone wrong. This goes into the high energy ''Shitstorm.'' The spitfire track starts off with vocalist David Ribera yelling out ''My hands are pitch forks, they stab what I touch!'' One the EP's most standout tracks has to be ''I Came, Come.'' Ribera displays his unique range well in the track with impressive highs and lows. Musically, the song is very reminiscent of several Heavy Heavy Low Low songs, but Duck Duck Goose manage pull off a flavor of their own on the track as well.

The out of this world (see what I did there?) ''Cosmic Kidnappers'' features spazzy guitar work and impressive drumming by the band, as Ribera yells and screams the bizarre lyrics to the listener. The song also features a short, but sweet acoustic jam titled ''Cloud Cruiser,'' which gives us a breather before Duck Duck Goose ignites the flames on Off Yourself once again. ''Fire Trucks On Fire'' is quite possibly the EP's most aggressive and in your face track. It features an insanely heavy breakdown towards the end of the song, with Ribera screaming ''Fuck life! We never wanted this. Fuck life! I know we wanted this.'' You'll want to get up out of your seat and break every single thing you own in your bedroom, or your friend's bedroom, breaking your own stuff wouldn't be fun at all.

''Pollution People'' is the final track off of the Off Yourself EP and it makes an excellent closer for it. It features more spazzy guitar work and overall top notch instrumentation by the band, Friend of the band and frontman of another, Heavy Heavy Low Low vocalist Robbie Smith lends his distinct vocals to the song. Ribera and Smith's unique voices blend well together (as if it wasn't expected to happen in the first place), amending the song even further.

Music snobs of the world, I advise you to make a left turn, as this band's music may not be for you since it lacks a lot of electronic sounds and distorted mumbly vocals. For all the open minded folks out there, I suggest you give this band a listen if you have yet to do so. Take a break from all the scenecore and repetitive pop punk and dive into something not as predictable and boring as those two genres. Duck Duck Goose is a band you should be on the look-out for, because I can only see this band getting better and better. Everything looks good from here.

Recommended If You LikeHeavy Heavy Low Low, The Jonbenet, a little bit of The Blood Brothers, (maybe) a little bit of Trophy Scars

Tracklisting:
1. Documenting Disappointment
2. Shitstorm
3. Hellavator
4. I Came, Come
5. Cosmic Kidnappers (also features a hidden track Cloud Cruiser)
6. Dirt Freaks
7. Fire Trucks On Fire
8. Pollution People (featuring Robbie Smith of Heavy Heavy Low Low)

Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from aradiantsunrise. You can see all of aradiantsunrise's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
12:49 PM on 10/12/10
a nocturnal day
this ain't a game
User Info.
Good review. But you should have used the alternate cover. :P
01:55 PM on 10/12/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Good review. But you should have used the alternate cover. :P
Lol, maybe i should have.
08:31 PM on 10/12/10
drt_33
joke's on you, i can't read
User Info.
i thought of this as a band name in like '03
10:30 PM on 10/12/10
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
Good review. I was really surprised with how much I liked this EP after finding their previous effort pretty boring.

The acoustic hidden track just made it all the better.
10:34 PM on 10/12/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Good review. I was really surprised with how much I liked this EP after finding their previous effort pretty boring.

The acoustic hidden track just made it all the better.
Yeah, it was a nice surprise to say the least. Haha.

Agreed!
09:10 AM on 10/13/10
alienantidote
Ravenclaw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It is really, really weird to see album reviews for a band from my hometown.
04:01 PM on 10/13/10
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
such a great fucking album. one of the best of the year.
04:05 PM on 10/13/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
It is really, really weird to see album reviews for a band from my hometown.
That's how I feel whenever I see stuff about New Found Glory,haha.
04:06 PM on 10/13/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
such a great fucking album. one of the best of the year.
Definitely up there for me as well!
09:03 PM on 10/14/10
defmytones
User Info.
Solid review, love this band. They are what Heavy Heavy Low Low should/shoudl've been at this point.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos