|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Art Of Dying (questions answered by Jonny H)
1. How did you get your band name?
I've always lived by the code "Hope for the best, Plan for the worst, Live life to the fullest and I've somehow always felt that life is precious. We're all gonna die, and that's for sure... so the name came from the thought that the art of dying is my life to live.
2. How did this band get started?
I used to play guitar on the street in my home town of Vancouver for change and smiles. Greg Bradley happened to hear me one night on Granville Street and asked me if I'd like to jam with him, and we've been making music together ever since. We met Jeff Brown through our jam space a little while later and after connecting musically he recommended that we hook up with his friends Cale and Tavis from out east. When the five of us stepped on stage at our first show, (that was the first time we actually played together) it was pretty magical and we all recognized something special was happening.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
The bands of the 90's really impacted me deeply. Pearl Jam, STP, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, to name a few. It's great to see so many of these bands continuing to record and tour. More recently bands like Three Days Grace and Seether have definitely rubbed off on us. We just finished a few tours with Disturbed and signed to their label, so they have become a big influence on us as well.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I look at touring as an opportunity to learn from other artists, and I don't think there would be a better group to learn from than Aerosmith. Touring with Pearl Jam would also be a dream come true.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A skunk... I haven't showered in a few days.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
A kid came up to me at a show in Texas and thanked me for saving his life. He said he chose not to kill himself because of our song. That's one of the most overwhelming and rewarding feelings I've ever had.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I'd like to see people laying down the double guitar solo in "Sorry" or the bridge riff in "Completely"... those would be bad ass. I suck at Guitar Hero/Rock Band, so no five-star for me.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My family has always supported me in my dream (crazy huh?)... so they are at the top of the list.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd like to see more tours and lower ticket prices. Nothing replaces seeing your favorite band live! Oh, and less red tape getting into different countries... Bands should have an "all access world pass" that they flash at border crossings and tour everywhere constantly.
10. Memorable tour experience?
We did some touring with Seether in England and Shaun Morgan asked me to come up and sing "Nutshell" from Alice in Chains during their set every night. Pretty unforgettable moments for me. I think it's on youtube.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
"Not fast music news... Good music news quickly"
12. What is your favorite song to play?
We have this song called "Won't Look Back" that reeks of Jack Daniel's and so do we by then end of it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I'm a cigar whore, so Cuba is where I stock up while I'm on days off. The rum isn't bad either. However, Mexico makes a pretty good margarita, so that's a tough one. If someone shipped me a box of cubans to Mexico, that would be paradise.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I used to crank Dayglo Abortions in my room to piss my parents off. Good times!
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Xray vision... I think the why is pretty obvious.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I don't think you can ever say you've made it. There's always something bigger and better around the corner to be striving for. Being hungry is what got us this far and I never want to lose that.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm allergic to cats. I've slept in my clothes all month.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Tuesday... See you next Tuesday!
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Play poker, mix drinks, BBQ.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I make a pretty mean steak.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |