AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Red Son - 10.05.10

Interviewed by
Red Son - 10.05.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Red Son
(questions answered by Jason Anthony, vocalist)
www.redsonmusic.com
www.facebook.com/redsonphx
www.twitter.com/redsonband
www.myspace.com/redsonmusic
www.last.fm/music/red+son
www.purevolume.com/redsonphx

1. How did you get your band name?

I like comics and a while back I read a Superman series called Red Son that was based on the idea that instead of landing in Middle America, Superman lands in Soviet Russia during the Cold War. He grows up with Communist ideals and ethics and ends up fighting for what he believes in, but what he believes in is different. I like the idea that even though his ethics were slightly skewed his moral compass stayed true. It makes people ask the question if they would be the same person they are today if they were raised with a different view on life. So, it was between that and the title of book one of the Blade of the Immortal series called The Blood of a Thousand, but I decided there were too many bands with 'blood' in their names.

2. How did this band get started?

I was in a band called Where Eagles Dare when Red Son first started jamming. I got in touch with my buddy Craig who played with WED for a little bit and I liked what he brought to the table, so I asked if he wanted to get something new started. A few days later he handed me a disc with what became the first song we wrote, "Light of Day". When Where Eagles Dare called it quits it freed me up to pursue Red Son as more than just a little side project.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We mostly say we're somewhere between Madball and Black Sabbath, but lately there's been a lot of With Honor and Snapcase creeping into our sound.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Terror. 100%. Everyone in the band loves them. Scott spent some time in Phoenix before he hit LA and started Terror, so we got to know him a little bit while he was here. His passion for hardcore is something I personally can relate to very easily, and their shows are always intense. It would be awesome to be around that kind of intensity every night.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A squirrel. I decided that when I was a kid. They're cool little creatures with tons of energy that are always working on something. I've been called out on numerous occasions for putting too much on my own agenda and wearing myself out. If I had the level of energy that a squirrel had I'm sure there wouldn't be that problem.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
There's enough substance in the lyrics to let people know where we're coming from without being preachy or condescending. The experienced musical talent in the band speaks for itself on our recordings and our live show backs it up. If you're into heavy music that's written with heartfelt intentions of creating something genuine and fresh while remaining familiar, then give us a listen. We have a lot of crossover into metal, hardcore and punk because that's what we all grew up loving.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I think we'd have to go with "True/False" from The Hopeless Dreamers EP. The heavy riffage in that song would lend itself well to being translated into the game. If you're an avid Guitar Hero player I'm sure you could get 5 stars on expert within the first couple of times playing it. I doubt I could though, I'm still having trouble getting past "Slash" in GH Legends on hard.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Byron Filson of Villain Recording and Michelle Donovan of the Mantooth Group. I could go on for while with the list of solid promoters in all the cities we've played or the bands we've played with, but those two have really pulled out the stops to help us out.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I don't know if I would change anything. People will always hate and love what the radio is playing. The small bands that work hard will eventually get well known if they play their cards right. There will always be flashes in the pan that get huge then die off. There will always be bands that strive to stay out of the business end and other bands that use the game to further their careers. The music industry and the way it's run will always have something to complain about, but it will also bring to the surface some really good music. It's flawed, but it works and it will change regardless. Whether it changes for the better or the worse I think is a matter of perception.

10. Memorable tour experience?

In Denver. We pull up to this office space we were gonna play. As we're unloading and setting up I'm noticing all these huge, thuggish guys hanging out and I'm convinced I'm gonna say the wrong thing to the wrong guy because I got a big mouth that sometimes gets me into trouble. So, I'm kinda walking on egg shells all night being as cordial as I know how. The other bands play and they're mostly tough guy hardcore/punk. Rebel Force from Denver by the way kills it. So we get up to play and all these tough guys drag couch cushions from another office and start having a pillow fight for the duration of our set. It was easily the best show that tour.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Our friends in Move Forward just introduced us to AP so my experience is still pretty new. But, it seems like a great place to hear new stuff and see who's trying to make things happen.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
The title track off The Hopeless Dreamers is my current favorite. It's intense, fast, heavy and epic with a great sing-a-long at the end. Plenty of room for stage dives, circle pits and kung fu kicks. It's an all inclusive hardcore anthem.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

San Francisco, CA or Richmond, VA. Both have a deep-rooted punk culture and a general air of inspiration for me.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

The Chipmunks, John Denver and Night Ranger.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd like to be able to speak and understand every language on the planet. You could travel anywhere and not worry about things getting lost in translation or being taken as a stupid American tourist. Not to mention the amount of people you could meet and actually get to know would skyrocket.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
nope.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Some of their favorite songs to hear are our least favorite to play, but we play them anyway because we love our supporters.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

I have Tim Burton's dilemma where I can't choose between Halloween and Christmas.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I'm a tattooer and I have an extensive Lego collection.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I try not to hide my talents, not to say that I'm a show-off, but if you're good at something put it to use. Most people might not know that I make a pretty good Southern-Style breakfast (probably because I worked at the Cracker Barrel for 3 years).

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:07 PM on 10/14/10
PillsAndAdvice
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Where Eagles Dare fucking ruled. Just putting that out there.
10:35 PM on 10/14/10
MoChroi
User Info.
Hell yeah Red Son is a great comic!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News