Mistress Maria - 10.13.10
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
Each of us have had multiple projects before Mistress Maria. We thought of just keeping a name from a previous project but the music had a life of its own. Music became our "mistress" but that wasn't enough. We had to give a personal touch to the name and we thought of a typical name in the Spanish heritage, which is Maria. Our music and heritage became who we represent, Mistress Maria.
2. How did this band get started?
In 2005 after a couple of failed projects Hilton, Jay and Edill (previous drummer) decided to join for a jam to see what could happen. In the beginning we were trying to be heavy with melody and jazz arrangements. There was no 'metalcore image' trying to be presented to the audience but just a blend of music. Every practice was dedicated to see how different the band could be from every other band in the area. The presentation of complex music with interactive stage presence gave way to a quick following.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
We try not to get influenced by other bands(which is almost impossible) because we don't want to replicate somebody else's tunes or sound like them, but there's a few bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Misery Signals, Foals, Meshuggah and on...
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
At the end of the day we tour with anybody that our booking agent/management hooks us up with, but regarding the question we would like to tour with all of our main influences as musicians.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Lion, because he's the 'king of the jungle'. I know it sounds 'gay' haha...
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we try to be the black sheep in any situation musically. We bring something different to the table and we try to separate ourselves from other bands.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"We've Got The Volcano" because it is the single that we have out right now from our EP Psycho.Mellow.Dramatic. I've played songs that are harder to play in the game than on a real instruments so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pain in the ass on expert.
8. If you won a grammy, who would you thank?
Our families, fans and label because they are the reason for everything we do.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Changes? Well, we have noticed that nowadays it is easier and faster for a band to get exposed and recognized instantly. That's always a plus but illegal downloading of music causes a huge dent in sales. While we do understand that you need to expose yourself by any means, unfortunately most people don't even buy cds anymore. I remember back in the day when buying a cd was an experience. So if we could change anything it would be downloading music (at least not all of it).
10. Memorable tour experience?
We have opened for bands such as The Black Dahlia Murder, The Chariot, God Forbid, Full Blown Chaos, CUNT and so on, but the most memorable was opening for Lamb of God. That was one of those epic moments in our career because there was a sea of people and everybody seemed to dig us even though it was a metal crowd, and we don't consider ourselves that metal. I guess we were metal and edgy enough for the Lamb of God crowd so that was pretty special for us.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a great resource for band exposure and there should be more websites like AP.net.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
On a personal note every song has a special place in my heart but I'll go with "Whatever happened to Heath Ledger?"
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Our beautiful bitches... I mean beaches.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Everybody would love to fly, so we'll go with that.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
What does "making it" even mean? Is it being loaded while a road crew carries and tunes your instruments at every venue, and being able to make a living from it? Because if it is... not even close.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That we have the craziest handshake in the world.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Most of us are gamers except for me. I'm more of a sports dude.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
We are all funny, at least that's what we have been told, but maybe that's not the case.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |
Buy The Music