AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Survay Says! - 10.17.10

Interviewed by
Survay Says! - 10.17.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Survay Says!
www.myspace.com/survaysaysska
www.facebook.com/survaysays

1. How did you get your band name?
On a total whim. I was at my desk and the name popped into my head, I told my future bandmate and it stuck. The "A" is on purpose.

2. How did this band get started?
We love making music. We love our friends. We put the two together and made this band.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
So many members means so many influences. From ska bands like Reel Big Fish and Big D and the Kid's Table, pop-punk bands like Patent Pending... there's also metal, classic rock and hip-hop influences in our songs as well. There's a little bit of everything in our music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
We would love to tour with Patent Pending from NY, Big D and the Kid's Table from MA, of course...every ska kid's dream... Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake, etc. And just about any band that would make for a killer show.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I'm gonna speak for myself here... but, a dog. Aside from my love for dogs... I couldn't say why though!

6. Why should people listen to your band?
You should listen to us because we are a ska band without beating you over the head about that fact. Our shows are pure energy, like chugging a Red Bull and then eating three Pixie Stix in a row.. Without the crash. Not only that, but we LOVE playing music and, from what I hear, you can tell by watching our set. Our saxophone player once said "You could be deaf and still enjoy our show." If you ever get the chance, check us out. Oh yeah... and the music ain't so bad either!

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
As far as guitar difficulties go... "Wonderful Day" off of our free EP "The Good Answer EP Version 2.0" [available on our MySpace] would be my vote. I don't think it would be hard but it'd be a lot of fun!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Personally...I, Charlie, would thank my family for all of their support, my girlfriend for being very understanding, my band mates for creating this amazing adventure and sharing it with me and of course, last but not least, all the fans and friends we have made along the way for being the catalyst for any and everything that has happened to us. I love all of you!

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'm actually okay with the music industry as a whole. I just hate when bands take themselves and their art too seriously. It's music. Have fun with it. Show everyone that you enjoy what you do.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We did a week long tour in July. And there were a lot of excellent memories from there. But I'm going to tell a story from our Album Release Weekend Tour October 1st through 3rd. It was October 3rd. We spent the night in a Days Inn, just outside of Danbury, CT. And because I booked the room for 2 people, but there's actually 8 of us, the managers found out and they weren't very happy about that. So we went for breakfast at the Danbury Mall and upon entering the mall we all acted it out as if the mall was under attack by terrorists or something and we were rolling on the floor, using walls as cover... it was pretty awesome.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP is a way for music fans to discuss music they like, don't like, and many other things on a global scale and it is a great melting pot of interest.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I'm speaking personally... my favorite song to play is "Side of the Bridge." I love rapping that fast and I love having the crowd jumping like crazy.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I actually don't know. I don't vacation all that frequently. But touring is a pretty damn good vacation. Wherever we go.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
90's pop radio. Everything from boy bands to Third Eye Blind to Sugar Ray, Barenaked Ladies, Nine Days, Alanis Morisette, etc. All of it is amazing. I'd cover a 90's pop song in a heartbeat!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd pick to fly. That'd be sick. Just to shoot up and see all the views. Or to teleport. But not like long distances, but as far as I can see. That'd be awesome too.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I feel like the success I've reached with my band is far more than I ever dreamed possible. There's been so many things that have made me feel like that. Having our home venue, the Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg, PA, chant our name at a battle of the bands right before we won $1,700 was awesome. Playing infront of 750+ people as direct support for my favorite band, Reel Big Fish. Going to Panera Bread for dinner and having people come up to me and say "Hey! Weren't you in that really good band that played Saturday night?" It's all part of it. I love the things we've been able to accomplish and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
While I currently live in NJ and have spent most of my life in NJ with my band, I am actually a legal resident of Florida. My parents moved there in the fall of 2008 and I originally just came up to NJ for a few months to visit and then the band blew up.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas. I am a total cheese-dog for Christmas. I'm not even religious. I just love the music and the movies and the cheesy TV specials and everything that has to do with that time of year. It's awfully awesome in so many ways. For the record...favorite Christmas song[s] are "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas," "Carol of the Bells," and "O Holy Night." And my favorite Christmas movies are "The Santa Clause" with Tim Allen and "It's a Wonderful Life."

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
When not playing shows or doing band things, I spend a lot of time with my girlfriend, I hang out with my dudes IN the band and we play X-Box [Halo Reach!]. I'm a big movie/TV buff... I just like having a good time.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Oh baby.... ;) I can't post that on an all ages site... Nah, seriously though.. I'm really good at mediocrity. It was my major in college.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests