2nd Grade Hi Five
1. How did you get your band name?
My friend Josh and I used to skate a lot and would give each other "2nd Grade Hi Five's" whenever we would do simple tricks as a joke or even crash.
2. How did this band get started?
I was in a band called "In The Making" and we went through some line-up changes. They thought I wasn't a good singer so I started recording and practicing to get my singing up to par. Then my roommate heard me jamming and asked me to write a song for his wedding. That opened the flood gates. I started writing and recording a lot and it took off from there.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Bands like New Found Glory and The Starting Line early on. Now I'm listening to a lot of classic rock and newer pop punk bands. I listen to a lot of different types of music and find things I like all the time.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
A dream tour! Queen headlining, John Mayer and The Starting Line Supporting. Queen has to be the once in a lifetime band where everything clicked. To see them perform live just once with Freddy would be amazing. I dig John Mayer's music and would like to pick his brain, especially the bluesy side. He's a great guitarist as well. The Starting Line are my all time favorite, nuff said!
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I always got compared to gophers and squirrels as a child. I had to grow into my two front teeth.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Just listen to it and give it a chance. The worst thing that could happen is that you don't like it.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Never Gonna Stop", that one has an awesome guitar solo as well as some kick-ass bass runs. It wouldn't be super hard but challenging. Unless of course you are a GH/RB ninja.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
How much time do I got? Everyone who comes to the shows and actually loves the music. Friends and Family of course. My Dad for getting me interested in the guitar in the first place. Marcus Taylor & Carson Rowley of Icarus Recordings. Anyone who gave me a chance. Everyone!
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
To take all the greed and Hollywood out of everything. Those things can ruin and spoil great music.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Touring by myself. Dead battery, rear-end damage that included a foul smelling cat converter. Having to jump start every time I stopped anywhere for gas. Lucky the rest of the car ran perfect.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Up to the minute updates on whats going on in music. Scene bias not included.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Right now "Let's Trade Hoodies"
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Vegas & Hawaii come to mind.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Alabama, the country band. I was named after the singer/guitarist. I listened to them a lot when I was younger.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Time travel. Aside from being able to "win" the lottery and have infinite band funds, I could go see every band in any decade. Chuck Berry, Jimmy Hendrix, Nirvana, Queen, the list goes on.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Define "made it".
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
What fans? Haha, JK. I don't know. Probably a lot of things.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve/Day. They kinda run together. It's a good time to relax and chill with family and friends, as well as party.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
What spare time? If any, I dig DS and Wii.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I haven't discovered it yet.