AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Taikes - 10.28.10

Interviewed by
Taikes - 10.28.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Taikes

http://www.taikes.com
http://www.myspace.com/taikes
http://www.facebook.com/taikes
http://www.youtube.com/taikes
http://www.twitter.com/taikes
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/taikes/id168558425
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/apo...ds/id346760521

1. How did you get your band name?

From the toy brand "Little Tikes", have no idea what it means.

2. How did this band get started?

Johan: Me and Alex met in high-school and started jamming together and thought it would be cool to form a band. Our first drummer Axel decided to quit after a couple of months.
Oskar: I was suddenly asked by Alex, a friend of mine since earlier on, to help out for the gig with a few weeks notice. I liked the music and I ended up staying in the band and we became Taikes.
Alex: So we basically started playing together the day we met, or at least me and Johan.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Johan: Nirvana, Placebo (black market era), Muse (old muse), Deftones, Chevelle, The Doors, Beatles, Alice in Chains, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Oasis, Radiohead
Alex: Mudvayne, KoRn, Lady Gaga, Killswitch Engage, Aerosmith, Alien Ant Farm, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Johan: Hmm I think all the bands mentioned above. I don't think it would matter much as long as we get to tour.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

Johan: I'd be a cow or a duck since they seem to be so relaxed and have a cool attitude. Or, if I could make a blend out of all animals, I think I would be a flying blue whale. Can you imagine people's reactions?
Oskar: A sea turtle, maybe. It would be nice to be a little bit in both worlds and still be able to hide when you don't feel like meeting anyone.
Alex: A cat - independent, lazy and hairy

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Johan: Why shouldn't they? The days of overproduced pointless rock is about to end, just as it always does every 20 years or so, and we are the pioneers of the new shit. I think that's reason enough.
Oskar: Can you keep on reading these columns without actually being a bit curious about what the music sounds like? Well, seriously I think that we have something fresh and interesting. I keep reminding people to try to discover new music since otherwise we will all end up listening to the same mainstream music. It doesn't necessarily have to be our music, but I get very happy every time someone tells me how much they really loved a particular song of ours.
Alex: To be able to make up their own opinion about us - good or bad.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

Johan: I would prefer not to be in those games at all cause I hate them. I mean come on! Kurt Cobain singing Bon Jovi? Talk about rape.
Oskar: I think the drum track on our song Violator would be hard on expert.
Alex: The bonus track from our first demo! It would be impossible to get five stars.
Johan: Yeah that one if any!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Johan: Friends, fans, the usual. I know who I wouldn't thank that's for sure.
Alex: The people mixing us up with Takida, for making the win possible.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Johan: Hmmm get a good deal for Taikes? :) Kick out the bullshitters and give the good bands the attention they deserve. I'd trash the CD as physical format (since no one buys them anymore) and bring back the vinyls. At least they have some cool collection value and they're harder to copy :D
Oskar: I think it is a matter of informing the public about the diversity in music. There is so much available but not everyone really knows or cares because they listen to whatever is on the radio or TV. Web based social services like Last.fm (which I use a lot to find new music), Spotify and maybe even iTunes Ping (though they really need to work on that) will certainly help everyone get a more personalized music taste in the future. Just encourage your friends to look a bit further than the radio charts. About the physical media I think we need a redefinition of value. We are not paying for the plastic discs to be on our shelves at home - we are paying for the experience of listening to the music and to support the bands which make the music that we love, which means I'll gladly pay for digital content.
Alex: Making it easier to break even; it sucks to lose money when you're playing gigs, etc.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Johan: Pulque Para Dos in Puebla, Mexico 2006. That was a really cool place and so different from the scenes here. The place resembles an acid trip (the good kind). And they had really cool bands playing there as well.
Oskar: I'll second that. It was completely awesome!
Alex: Ditto

11. What is your favorite song to play?

Johan: No idea, have so many songs I love playing. There is one called "Hired Hands Exposed" from another Swedish band, but I can't remember their name, damn it.
Alex: Changes every week, but the intro to Mudvayne's "Severed" always works

12. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Johan: Mexico, Puebla, Veracruz and Mexico City (if you're looking for an adventure).
Alex: Home.

13. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Johan: Oasis - All around the world. And jabba dabba dance!
Alex: Cranberries - Zombie

14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Johan: I'd be Captain Sexblocker!
Alex: Slowing down time, why not?!

15. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

Johan: Far from it but I'm confident we will.
Alex: I would rather say that we're in rockband Limbo - not pros, not beginners.

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Johan: I was actually chosen "woman of the year" by People Magazine.
And hmm I love video games and movies.
Oskar: That I'm even in the band! Haha, sometimes I realize people in the crowd don't see me properly because I'm so far back and behind the cymbals and stuff.
Alex: That I can sleep in the shower without problems nor shame.

17. What's your favorite holiday?

Johan: Anything that's in the summer.
Oskar: I used to think I liked the Swedish winters, but now that the autumn is here I am not so sure anymore. To be sentimental I'll still say Christmas - for all the candles and carols and friendly people.
Alex: New years eve.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Johan: Relax, read, write, play video games, drink, go out in the forest on a sunny day.
Oskar: Photographing, playing Starcraft (nowadays mostly 2 but a few years of 1 before that). I also do a bit of programming. When it comes to physical exercise I prefer running and swimming.
Alex: Play guitar/bass, read(study), watch tv, have meaningless discussions with friends

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Johan: Magician, bird-watching, golf, athlete, sharpshooter, pie-eating champion, oh and once I finished Ninja Gaiden (xbox) on Hard mode. Anyone who's ever played that will worship me for that, I assure you!
Oskar: I can make you forget what I just said. Look.
Alex: Haven't found any talent.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
06:43 PM on 11/03/10
vakuola
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Johan: Pulque Para Dos in Puebla, Mexico 2006. That was a really cool place and so different from the scenes here. The place resembles an acid trip (the good kind). And they had really cool bands playing there as well. "

Yup, that's where I met them

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version