Password

Album Review
Vanna  - The Honest Hearts Album Cover

Vanna - The Honest Hearts

Reviewed by
Vanna - The Honest Hearts
Record Label: Artery Recordings
Release Date: October 12, 2010
Vanna is one of those bands that is consistently releasing superb material but they always seem to fly under the radar. Their new EP The Honest Hearts will hopefully bring them some much deserved attention.

Recently Vanna's front man from their previous two releases, Curses and A New Hope, Chris Preece has left the band. Vanna listeners have come to know his voice as a major part of the band but in every dark cloud there is a silver lining. Preece's replacement is Davey Muise (formerly of Seeker Destroyer) and he is a welcome addition to the band. He may sound different then Preece but he can shred his vocal chords with the best of them.

The album kicks off with the bouncy intro of "Lost and Bound". The song is a real showcase for Vanna. The new screams of Davey and the clean vocals of Evan Pharmakis really compliment each other well. Absolutely no complaints on this one.

The second track on the EP is "Sending Vessels". The beginning is very heavy and melodic. The song some interesting guitar work that shows throughout the song. Near the end of the song Davey unleashes some high screeches which is a change from the screams and growls. The chant at the end of the song is very haunting, "So send this vessel out to sea, I'm not the ship I used to be".

The last new song on the album is "Passerby". There is more singing on this song then on the previous two but it still sounds great. The song is great and it goes to show that even with Davey in the band they haven't stopped their excellent song writing.

The final two songs on the EP are rerecorded versions of two older songs by the names of "Dead Language" (formerly "A Dead Language For A Dying Lady") and "Trashmouth". "Dead Language" sounds like its been polished up and sounds more intense, the new version is awesome. I can only assume they rerecorded "Trashmouth" to show how Davey would sound on material from A New Hope, but the song sounds great with his vocals on it as well.

Overall this EP is a great teaser as to what we can expect from Vanna in future endeavors. This EP was one of my favorite releases of the year so I can wholeheartedly recommend you check it out.

Tracklisting1. Lost and Bound
2. Sending Vessels
3. Passerby
4. Dead Language
5. Trashmouth

Vanna isDavey Muise lead vocals
Nicholas Lambert guitar
Evan Pharmakis guitar, clean vocals
Shawn Marquis bass
Chris Campbell drums

Recommended If You LikeTherefore I Am, Our Last Night, Lions Lions, Gwen Stacy, Armor For The Broken

www.myspace.com/vanna
This review is a user submitted review from ShipwreckHeart. You can see all of ShipwreckHeart's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
11:26 PM on 11/13/10
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
Well that's a high score.
06:08 AM on 11/14/10
ShipwreckHeart
latenightsingalongs.com
User Info.
I honestly love this ep. It is one of my favorite releases of the year, hands down. The Upsides (the wonder years), The Honest Hearts (vanna), Thank Me Later (drake), Man on The Moon 2 (kid cudi) and a couple other releases are definitely top albums this year for me.
08:48 AM on 11/14/10
cwhit412
User Info.
I honestly love this ep. It is one of my favorite releases of the year, hands down. The Upsides (the wonder years), The Honest Hearts (vanna), Thank Me Later (drake), Man on The Moon 2 (kid cudi) and a couple other releases are definitely top albums this year for me.
Just be prepared to get bashed.
09:02 AM on 11/14/10
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
gonna have to get this soon
09:10 AM on 11/14/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
8.25 creativity? Elaborate por favor.
11:15 AM on 11/14/10
ShipwreckHeart
latenightsingalongs.com
User Info.
8.25 creativity? Elaborate por favor.
I mean I'm still getting used to the ratings system so granted it was a little high of a score.
11:17 AM on 11/14/10
ShipwreckHeart
latenightsingalongs.com
User Info.
Just be prepared to get bashed.
thanks for the heads up
11:21 AM on 11/14/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
I mean I'm still getting used to the ratings system so granted it was a little high of a score.
What would you really give it? I want honesty when I read reviews on this website.
11:35 AM on 11/14/10
ShipwreckHeart
latenightsingalongs.com
User Info.
What would you really give it? I want honesty when I read reviews on this website.
I changed it to what I would give it.
12:17 PM on 11/14/10
FuzzyPeach99
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm almost offended by how poorly this review is written.
04:28 PM on 11/14/10
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
I like this release too but gah, definitely isn't that good
06:01 AM on 11/15/10
CH!MP
planning a prison break
User Info.
ill give this a listen, but Vanna have yet to put out anything that isn't mediocre.
09:47 AM on 11/15/10
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
I really dig this EP. Davey > Chris.
10:00 AM on 11/15/10
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
sending vessels has got to be my favourite off the ep, although i wasn't too impressed by the rest. curses is still their tops for me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos