AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cold Beat, The - Get Safe Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 7
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Cold Beat, The - Get Safe

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (11/13/10)
The Cold Beat - Get Safe
Record Label: None
Release Date: 2010

Who?

Allston, Massachusetts’ rock’n’roll team The Cold Beat present their debut full-length with Get Safe. The band rocks a sound that’s part old school, part new wave (if The Gaslight Anthem does Springsteen, then these guys do The Replacements) – the kind that’s gaining popularity at the moment.

How is it?

Get Safe is an 11-track revolver of fun. “Play to Win” begins the album with an anthem of a riff, and it’s all honest, accessible rock from there on out. “Turn Blue” seeps into the available space in your memory and proves hard to clean out, while “Snake Oil” opens with a cocky romp you might find reminiscent of Against Me!: “The first time that I lied was when I learned to talk.” “Copper Green” and “The Ditch” are frisky bouncers and “Crumble and Fade” fades the scene with the obligatory slow-strumming, acoustic-guitar-on-porch atmosphere.

The one concern here is that the album seems to lack memorability. You can attribute a good portion of that to the production, which is raw and lo-fi. Trendy, maybe, but it doesn’t help The Cold Beat’s case here. On “The Ditch,” the vocals strain unpleasantly right at the start of the chorus, preventing a solid part from reaching full potential. There are also various areas where the instruments just sound muddled, which is disappointing because there are some really interesting riffs and rhythms being played. There’s no need for overproduction – we’re not trying to duplicate Folie à Deux here – but in this case, even a little studio magic could’ve gone a long way in making the album more aesthetically appealing.

Even then, it’s easy to look past all of that. Get Safe packs enough of a playful punch to get you lost in it. Let your guard down and get caught up in The Cold Beat’s interpretation of '80s rock.

Recommended If You LikeThe Replacements, Against Me!, 80's flair

Track listing1. Play to Win
2. Copper Green
3. Snake Oil
4. Turn Blue
5. The Ditch
6. Submerge
7. On the Way Down
8. Hook, Line and Sinker
9. I'll Follow
10. Even In The Best Of Times
11. Crumble and Fade